Why become a member? ×

Ordering from Ishibashi

TomKent

I'm currently looking onto ordering a bass (new), a fretless jazz (75 re-issue). A tutor of mine reccomended buying it directly from the Ishibashi factory (or something around that name) as depending on the exchange rate you could get it brand new from as little as £350 including delivery.

However, I can't track down any info the the factory but google suggests it does actually exist somewhere.

Has anyone on here bought new directly from them? How did you go about it? Any help would be brilliant!

TK

Edit; I have found this ([url="http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAPAN-1962-Fretless-Jazzbass-JB62-77FL-326486801-/280507331381?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item414f8a3335#shId"]ebay[/url]), but it's second hand.

Though it will only cost £500ish.

Edited by TomKent

Ishibashi is a chain of musical instrument shops in Japan.

I'm assuming from your description that you're after a non-export MIJ/CIJ Fender bass? Unfortunately it looks as though your tutor's information is somewhat out of date.

Firstly Ishibashi (and any other Japanese music shop) are not allowed to sell non-export Fender models any more. It is still possible to buy second hand ones, but the main source of these the Ubox (second section of Ishibashi) has in the main stopped dealing with foreign enquiries and would prefer you to use their eBay shop instead. However the selection here is nowhere near as good as the Ubox.

Secondly the the exchange rate is nowhere near as good as it was a couple of years ago when £1 = ¥200 - at the moment it's closer to £1 = ¥130.

There are ways around this, but be aware that shipping from Japan will cost around £100 and then you'll be liable for Duty and VAT which works out at about 23% of the combined price and shipping cost. After all that you'll probably find that at the moment buying a bass this way is not as simple or quite the deal you thought it might be.

[quote name='TomKent' post='843143' date='May 20 2010, 02:08 PM']I'm currently looking onto ordering a bass (new), a fretless jazz (75 re-issue). A tutor of mine reccomended buying it directly from the Ishibashi factory (or something around that name) as depending on the exchange rate you could get it brand new from as little as £350 including delivery.

However, I can't track down any info the the factory but google suggests it does actually exist somewhere.

Has anyone on here bought new directly from them? How did you go about it? Any help would be brilliant!

TK

Edit; I have found this ([url="http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-JAPAN-1962-Fretless-Jazzbass-JB62-77FL-326486801-/280507331381?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item414f8a3335#shId"]ebay[/url]), but it's second hand.

Though it will only cost £500ish.[/quote]

Don't forget to add shipping, Duty, VAT and Parcelforce handling fee.

So add £115 for shipping and about £90 for the tax and stuff.

Grand total: Nigh on £700 depending on exchange rate.

Should be able to pick up a USA one used for around the same dosh.

Ishibashi stopped selling new Japanese Fenders direct to UK people about 2 years ago. Allegedly Fender told them to stop or else.

Edited by OldGit

Ishibashi's policy is that they don't sell new instruments outside of Japan.

But they have a great selection of second hand instruments:

[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/ubox.cgi?word=2&or8=32&key=fender&equal1=&value5=&select5=down&sort=&print=40&T=gazo"]Ishibashi U Box (Fender basses)[/url]

A couple of years ago, the exchange rates were in our favour... in January 2008, it was around ¥212 to the pound and a ¥40,000 Yen S/H Japanese Fender (about the cheapest possible) would cost around £320 including shipping and tax. Presently we're at less than ¥130 to the pound (about as bad as it's ever been) and the same bass will cost around £200 more than it did back then. Anything around the ¥55,000 mark will come in at around £650 when it was around £450.

I would hold my horses for the moment and wait for some economic recovery.

Edit: just realised those figures were calculated at 15% VAT... add on some pounds!

Edited by dlloyd

Ishibashi may sell some new instruments outside of Japan. However this doesn't include non-export MIJ/CIJ Fenders. Remember there is more Ishibashi than Japanese Fenders.

The Ubox situation is less clear cut. Since the beginning of this year they have been trying to move export sales away from the Ubox which takes time and resources and since they are also chain of physical shops the time difference between Japan and the UK may mean that by the time they've received and processed you're enquiry someone may have walked into the shop and bought the bass in question. They would much prefer you to use the eBay store which from their point is easier to maintain.

Here's the current rates... it will update itself

Not great at the moment. You want it around ¥200 at least:

This is the situation from 2005 - May 2010... as you can see, mid-2007 was the time to buy.

Before that, it was fairly stable at around ¥190

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='bubinga5' post='843264' date='May 20 2010, 04:26 PM']where is the best place to buy MIJ fenders from now?[/quote]

[url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedjb4.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedjb4.htm[/url]

But don't bother with the '75 Ash one 'cos that's now mine :).

The Japanese basses seem to be far better quality than the US made ones.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='843697' date='May 20 2010, 11:40 PM'][url="http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedjb4.htm"]http://www.fareastguitars.co.uk/usedjb4.htm[/url]

But don't bother with the '75 Ash one 'cos that's now mine :rolleyes:.

[b][size=4]The Japanese basses seem to be far better quality than the US made ones.[/size][/b][/quote]

Ohhhhhh That's fightin' talk :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='843264' date='May 20 2010, 04:26 PM']where is the best place to buy MIJ fenders from now?[/quote]

Japan - have a great time in one of the most interesting countries in the world and pick up a bass or two while you're out there.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='844271' date='May 21 2010, 02:44 PM']Japan - have a great time in one of the most interesting countries in the world and pick up a bass or two while you're out there.[/quote]

The man speaks the truth! Unfortunately, in-store prices seem to have gone up a bit here recently, but they may still be cheaper than the U.K. I'm not sure.

[quote name='OldGit' post='844198' date='May 21 2010, 02:38 PM']Or, indeed, from here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=88825"]Sid Vicious CIJ P Bass for sale[/url][/quote]

Oooh... that's very nice. Good price too. :)

[quote name='beardybass' post='844809' date='May 22 2010, 05:49 AM']The man speaks the truth! Unfortunately, in-store prices seem to have gone up a bit here recently, but they may still be cheaper than the U.K. I'm not sure.[/quote]

Sounds like an opportunity, Beardy :)

[quote name='TomKent' post='843143' date='May 20 2010, 02:08 PM']I'm currently looking onto ordering a bass (new), a fretless jazz (75 re-issue). A tutor of mine reccomended buying it directly from the Ishibashi factory (or something around that name) as depending on the exchange rate you could get it brand new from as little as £350 including delivery.

TK

Though it will only cost £500ish.[/quote]
I'd definitely recommend the 62 reissue; it's a fantastic bass, and when you consider the price, it certainly has a massive wow factor. I may cause controversy, but IMHO it's far better than any American jazz I've played, and the build quality is spot on - I've never seen such a tight neck pocket!

[quote name='guybrush threepwood' post='844847' date='May 22 2010, 08:47 AM']I'd definitely recommend the 62 reissue; it's a fantastic bass, and when you consider the price, it certainly has a massive wow factor. I may cause controversy, but IMHO it's far better than any American jazz I've played, and the build quality is spot on - I've never seen such a tight neck pocket![/quote]

That's what I've got, a '62 reissue. It's name is Jaco (surpisingly :)).

It is of far better construction than my US made 5 string jazz.

Best of all I only paid £350 for it, which is a real bargain.

Im a huge MIJ fan, both my main basses are Jap Fenders, a 19902 MIJ '62 and an '07 CIJ '75 ri ive had sooo many basses now and these two are just perfect for me! and the white one, wa sindeed from ishibashi just before the ban!

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' post='844992' date='May 22 2010, 11:58 AM']Im a huge MIJ fan, both my main basses are Jap Fenders, a 19902 MIJ '62 and an '07 CIJ '75 ri ive had sooo many basses now and these two are just perfect for me! and the white one, wa sindeed from ishibashi just before the ban!

[/quote]

That white one looks very, very smart. I love the blocks and binding against the maple board. In fact I love the whole bass !

[quote name='gafbass02' post='844992' date='May 22 2010, 11:58 AM']Im a huge MIJ fan, both my main basses are Jap Fenders, a 19902 MIJ '62 and an '07 CIJ '75 ri ive had sooo many basses now and these two are just perfect for me! and the white one, wa sindeed from ishibashi just before the ban!

[/quote]

Nice "reliced" plate on that blue one. Did you age that yourself?

[quote name='Davo-London' post='847666' date='May 25 2010, 04:40 PM']I have a CIJ Jaco Jazz and am picking up a '86 MIJ Squier in the US shortly.

I wouldn't buy any other Fender. I'm a total convert. They are how Fenders should have been since the 70's.

Going to Japan would be a brilliant idea. Hmmm thinks.

Davo[/quote]

Come home the long way :)

I'll give you a shopping list :rolleyes: