Why become a member? ×

Jamerson Technique

TomKent

I'm pretty sure this has already been discussed, however, seeing as my computer refuses to work with any search engine I thought I'd start a topic on it (unless the topic is on the first page, in which case I apologise.. I am blind!)

Recently I've been playing a lot of motown tunes, mainly 'What's Going On' and 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' because of their distinctive basslines without which the track really wouldn't be the same. After playing them with two fingers began dabbling with the one finger technique which, I know, isn't perfectly correct technique wise as I don't have a pickup guard to rest on.

I have not found much of a problem with playing with one finger though, so what are your thoughts on it? You play completely different lines with one finger - bar 2, 3 or 4 in my opinion.

I've attached a version of me playing Ain't No Mountain High enough with one finger on a 2001 (ish) Jazz bass which has new strings but dampening on the bridge.

Your thoughts on this, good or bad for technique, good or bad sound, does it work for you?

Tom

Certainly works for me! And thats good going if you played it with just the one finger. I used to try the one finger technique and failed miserably. Get yourself a Precision and put some flats on. It'll sound the business then! :)

[quote name='bigthumb' post='842257' date='May 19 2010, 05:00 PM']Certainly works for me! And thats good going if you played it with just the one finger. I used to try the one finger technique and failed miserably. Get yourself a Precision and put some flats on. It'll sound the business then! :)[/quote]

I've got my eyes all over for new basses at the moment, a P bass is definitely next in line though (though I kinda need a fretless first). The necks on P basses seem too wide for me in some instances, then again I'm use to a J bass.

[quote name='TomKent' post='842259' date='May 19 2010, 05:01 PM']I've got my eyes all over for new basses at the moment, a P bass is definitely next in line though (though I kinda need a fretless first). The necks on P basses seem too wide for me in some instances, then again I'm use to a J bass.[/quote]

Howsabout a Pbass with a Jazz neck! Avoid the 60's reissues then as they'll have the 'C' neck which you'll find a bit wide. 70's 'B' necks are nice being not much wider than a Jazz.

[quote name='bigthumb' post='842266' date='May 19 2010, 05:10 PM']Howsabout a Pbass with a Jazz neck! Avoid the 60's reissues then as they'll have the 'C' neck which you'll find a bit wide. 70's 'B' necks are nice being not much wider than a Jazz.[/quote]

I had considered that, however I'm lazy so I'd have to find one pre-build. I played a 60's reissue which would explain the neck being.. massive! haha

Form Follows Function.

That was a really nicely-played bassline and the only reason I know it was played with one finger is that you told me!

If it does what you want, then the rest doesn't matter.

Anyway, Hendrix used his teeth. :)

I've played loads of Jamerson in recent months, and know some of the basslines quite well indeed... but could never get my head around playing with one finger. I tried repeatedly (for laughs) but got absolutely nowhere.

Two fingers came naturally. Three I'm working on with moderate success. But one? Nah. Can't.

nice! im still trying to learn that! I use 3 fingers though cos i stuck a knife in the end of my first finger a while back and had to use middle and ring for a bit, it stuck.
what differences does it give?
Nice playing too, though listen how jamerson sits back in groove in the verses to give it space [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wC50bWbnY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07wC50bWbnY[/url]

You may also have noticed he damped the strings with the side of his thumb, I have tried this :) , its something to do with having extra long thumbs, cos unless you push the bass away and back until you're standing over the neck its impossible and of course there's the actual technique too.

[quote name='SS73' post='842492' date='May 19 2010, 08:28 PM']You may also have noticed he damped the strings with the side of his thumb, I have tried this :) , its something to do with having extra long thumbs, cos unless you push the bass away and back until you're standing over the neck its impossible and of course there's the actual technique too.[/quote]

Yeah, I'd noticed a lot of usage of it.. I just can't do it without a pickup guard though. Seems impossible! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='842612' date='May 19 2010, 10:23 PM']Is there any footage of Jamerson playing, showinghis amazing technique? I did a YouTube search once and only found photo stills set to music.[/quote]

If I recall (according to one of my tutors), there is very very little video footage of his playing, I've only ever seen 20 second clips of him at a time too. Would be amazing if you could see a video of a whole tune with just his fretboard and right hand in view!

[quote name='Clarky' post='842612' date='May 19 2010, 10:23 PM']Is there any footage of Jamerson playing, showinghis amazing technique? I did a YouTube search once and only found photo stills set to music.[/quote]

This is the best example:

Shows his dampening technique, hand position and plucking (which I think includes 2-way plucking on the one finger)

Edited by Spoombung

Thanks guys, much appreciated. By coincidence I was listening to the album 'What's Going On' today and was (yet again) in total awe at the bass work, especially 'Flying High in a Friendly Sky" and "Save the children". Just an astonishing combination of jazz, soul/funk and sheer groove playing

[quote name='~tl' post='842629' date='May 19 2010, 10:32 PM']There are only one or two brief shots in videos, AFAIK. There's this Marvin Gaye one:

And this CBS News one:

Alas, only fleeting glances in both. I've not seen anything aside from those.[/quote]

Cheers for those, I hadn't seen them before! Think I'll be buying a pickup guard and a P-bass asap so I can start working on the exact playing style. However, I will need the same strings.. so anyone got some really really old flat wound (I think) strings?! :)

[quote name='carlitos71' post='842672' date='May 19 2010, 11:26 PM']just watched the funk brothers movie again tonight

what a film![/quote]

You're making me want to watch it, but I can't find my DVD! :'(

I just gave one finger a try, seems relatively simple as long as you are fast and accurate. Not able to dampen so great with my thumb, I have shakey hands.

Maybe you should upload another two clips. One the standard 2 finger style, and another 1 finger, as a comparison.

On first impressions though, it lacks fluidity but adds in punch. IMO.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='842749' date='May 20 2010, 01:55 AM']I just gave one finger a try, seems relatively simple as long as you are fast and accurate. Not able to dampen so great with my thumb, I have shakey hands.[/quote]

He braces his hand on the chrome pickup cover - that's probably the key to his style - the technique is very difficult unless the hand is held in a fixed position with only vertical movement.

What I simply cannot get is the 'flicking' of one finger to play fast lines on a single string - my nail can catch on the string on the upstroke and the tone is different on the up and down strokes. How does he do it???

[quote name='Clarky' post='843014' date='May 20 2010, 12:22 PM']What I simply cannot get is the 'flicking' of one finger to play fast lines on a single string - my nail can catch on the string on the upstroke and the tone is different on the up and down strokes. How does he do it???[/quote]

Again, I think the key is the anchoring. Also he's plucking were the strings are quite loose - that combined with the bass-heavy thumping tone would mean the technique and its flaws are not as exposed as with a modern, bright sound. As it is, his technique is pretty flawless anyway - very dynamic and articulate. You see a lot double bassists using just one finger but it's not commonly applied to electric bass.