Why become a member? ×

Barefaced - Super Twelve T Cab

Me And My Bass

I think i'll just add to this thread now that I have had my S12T for a few weeks.
I have rehearsed 4hour sessions weekly with my band with my S12T on an Auralex gramma pad and it just keeps getting better and better.

The dispersion is amazing - it does not matter where in the rehearsal space I am the tone of my bass is now fully audible to all - it seems to fill the room - i have never experienced anything quite like it!
I am driving it with a 'mere' Hartke HA3500 which is more than ample to get some serious volume and after a few Eq tweaks and balancing the tube and SS pre inputs I am close to my perfect tone now....

I find it light and easily manageable - it fits lengthways in the boot of my Mazda6 under the cover without folding the seats , leaving half the boot free for other stuff.....although whether it will fit in aToyota GT86 (getting one soon) is another story - i might be buying a MidgetT at that point (but would probably need a more poweful head to drive it) but not as a replacement .The S12T will never be replaced....

Loving it.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1375438377' post='2161232']
i might be buying a MidgetT at that point (but would probably need a more poweful head to drive it)
[/quote]

Beware! What you'll need is a head that goes below 4 ohm, as the S12T is a 4 ohm cab, so adding a Midget will lower the total impedance to 2.66 ohms - less than nearly all heads can handle.

There are a few heads that can go to 2 ohms, or others (like mine) that have two channels that can drive 4 ohms separately (Shuttlemax 12.2). I drive S12T on one side, and a Compact on the other. Epic!

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1375455423' post='2161686']
Beware! What you'll need is a head that goes below 4 ohm, as the S12T is a 4 ohm cab, so adding a Midget will lower the total impedance to 2.66 ohms - [/quote]
I will not be using them at the same time...the MidgetT would be for rehearsals in the car....the S12T would be for gigs in the van ;)

Edit: unless I find a way to get an S12T in a GT86 (plus at least one bass, a head, a pedal board and all the other gubbins required)....in which case I will not need a MidgetT

Found this pic of a Marshall 2x12 in the boot of a GT86...hmmm i wonder if a S12T is any bigger?

Edited by Twigman

• 1 year later...

Well I`ve now had my S12T for a good couple of months now, so feel I can add to this without it just being "shiny new toy syndrome".

Of course the weight, size and portability are amazing. Truth be told, massive factors in me buying the S12T. But the first time I used it, I was amazed at how good it sounded, and how powerful it is. Now at the time I bought the cab I also bought a new amp (Aguilar Tonehammer 500), and decided to put some TI Flats on my Precision instead of my usual worn-in Roto Steel Rounds. With this new set-up I got a sound that was great, but no matter how much I played with the TIs my fingers were missing the Rotos.

So I put those back on and wow, well the sound from the S12T really shines through - I`m getting exactly what I want. Now of course a lot of this is due to the bass itself, the strings and the amp, but I love the way the S12T just pushes that sound out effortlessly, without any booming or sludging on the low notes. I`m using it with the tweeter off, yet the highs are present in that old-school way, not sharp and edgy, but making some nice definition (aside from the gain which I use that is).

So to the question would I buy one again, well I already have - for big gigs I`ll have two of them (Alex at BF having confirmed he can make a lead for me that connects the two cabs in series so my amp can take them).

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1375455916' post='2161695']
I will not be using them at the same time...the MidgetT would be for rehearsals in the car....the S12T would be for gigs in the van ;)

Edit: unless I find a way to get an S12T in a GT86 (plus at least one bass, a head, a pedal board and all the other gubbins required)....in which case I will not need a MidgetT

Found this pic of a Marshall 2x12 in the boot of a GT86...hmmm i wonder if a S12T is any bigger?

[/quote]

Answer for anyone that might be interested is that a Barefaced S12T does not fit in the boot of a GT86....so I bought myself a supermidget for when i want to drive the 86 to rehearsals......contemplating swapping the S12T for a gen3 Compact for a more flexible rig....

The BB2 and Super Midget is a very versatile rig - and never wanting in tone - even at higher volumes.

In truth, for my gigs (even the odd festival stage) I think a single BB2 would easily be enough, but I like having a small, medium and big rig for any eventuality. :)

Frank.