Why become a member? ×

Barefaced - Super Twelve T Cab

Me And My Bass

Product: Barefaced Super Twelve T - http://barefacedbass.com/index.php?page=super-twelve

Price: £675

==============================

Features : 10

Basically Bareface answer to a 4x10, A 2x12 with tweeter. From the Barefaced site -

Dimensions
30" H x 19.5" W x 13.5" D
76cm x 48cm x 34cm

Weight
40lbs/18kg (Super Twelve)
42lbs/19kg (Super Twelve T)

Sensitivity
102dB - louder than many 4x10" cabs
USABLE Frequency RANGE
37Hz - 4kHz
37Hz - 22kHz (T)

Recommended Amp Power
200-1000W RMS
Max CONTINOUS BROADBAND SPL
131dB - Louder than most 4x10"s and many 4x12"s
Nominal Impedance
4 ohms

====================

Sound Quality: 9

Amp: Aguilar SC500
Bass: Musicman Stingray 4 string
Playing style: finger funk, rock & slap
Music: Folk/Trad music crossed with funk/rock style

I have only used the cab over 3 gigs last weekend past, but the one thing that jumped out at me was the various sounds/tone the cab can produce. This thing has everything - Big bass sounds, Subby lows, Punching mids & Crystal clear highs... all respond instantly at the twist of the eq. Compared to all the various cabs l have used in the past lt certainly has largest tone range & I'm told once the speakers 'brake in' l will get even more. I have turned the tweeter all the way up and re-adjusted on the eq. At the same volume setting on my amp the cab puts out more volume to my ear than my previous Aggy DB410 & Ampeg Classic.

====================

Reliability/Build Quality: 9

The attention to detail on this cab is stunning. Comes with two rubber feet on the front of the cab and built in casters (which are a work of art themselves) on the back for wheeling the cab about, not that it needs, it weighing in just less than 20kg l was lifting it in and out the car and up stairs no problem. tweeter control is located at the top of the cab vent. The cab being set out vertically aligned has let me hear my sound better than any previous cab, great shout!

====================

Customer Support: 10

Alex got back to me within in hours of my first email enquiring about getting of of his cabs. Throughout the following emails he took the time to work with me to get the right piece of gear for my needs/style. Follow up email came from him after l received the cab with a few tips and any help l might need to get in touch with him.

====================

Overall Rating: 9

For my needs this cab has everything, straight up blending bass sounds rite through to Louis Jagger Johnson slap sounds. . . . l make the changes eq wise and its all there. Its going to take a few weeks yet for me to find my sound, esp at the various volume levels im required to play at gig to gig, but lm pretty sure its a keeper.
The other reason l left my previous cab (aggy DB410) which was great, for the Barefaced was the weight and transporting problems l was having, with 4x10 cabs. This cab comes in at 19kg and is easily carried in one hand or better (if you have your bass on your back and amp rack bag on your shoulder) can be wheeled about on the casters. It is stunning to look at, best looking cab on any stage.

This is just a short review over the weekend worth of gigs l have had, but l will do an updated review in a month or so once l have got more used to it.

Edited by Rich

• 1 year later...

OK.... after doing a few more gigs, I can give a few more thoughts to the Super Twelve T, in use with an Eden WT550 and Shergold Marathon fretless.

[b]Sound Quality[/b]
I can't affirm enough the sheer effortlessness this cab displays. I use a Boss GT-10B with everything from full 'in yer face' distortion to earthquake sub-octave effects, as well as just the straight bass tone. Everything just sounds right. The sub-octave is meaty, strong and defined with a real solidity there. Not only that, but it's even. There is no pronounced hump or peak in the bass output, just a wide solid chunk that tails off evenly below a low 'B'. The straight bass tone just mirrors what the bass sounds like, the Eden and Super Twelve producing a pleasantly warm rather than a cold and clinical sound. They seem to work together extremely well, as does the Genz Benz Streamliner which I tried at a Bass Bash a while ago, courtesy of WoT.

The mid and treble sounds are also smooth and defined. No nasty peaks or resonances. This cab gets out of the way and presents the signal sent to it beautifully. No boxiness, no honkiness, it just lets your bass sing, and what's more it projects the sound evenly on the stage, all the other band members can hear me. I can play really subtly and the cab let's it shine through. Not many cabs do subtle and also sound massive when required.

9 out of 10. I mark it down as it doesn't go quite as low as the Big One, but I'm being hypercritical. It's a tough world. :)

[b]Build, Practicality and Reliability[/b]
It's solidly put together, with lots of extra bracing inside to help rigidity. It's light. I can lift it with one hand. I can lift it and hold it above my head with two. Put wings on it and it would probably fly. The tilt and go wheels are fantastic – although I'll be making a special strap to go round the top handle so I don't have to stoop when wheeling it. I don't have to stoop much, but over a large car park's worth the back starts to complain. Age.

Completely reliable to date. I feel really confident using it loud if necessary, but at no time have I gone past 2 O'clock on the master volume on the amp – except once in a sound check when it went close to full whack just to see. Never again. Loud doesn't begin to describe it. It was that loud I had trouble controlling feedback from the bass. :)

9 out of 10. The finish is not everyone's cup of tea, but I've got used to it. On the practical side, it's close to perfection, but I must get that strap sorted.

[b]Customer Support[/b]
Barefaced obviously care about what they do, how they do it, and want the bass world to know. You would be forgiven for thinking it's all hype. There may be a tiny smidge, but the words are backed up by the product. Alex knows what he is doing, and has produced an outstanding range of products. If none of them were suitable for what you do, I think he'd be honest enough to tell you. It's always worth getting in touch before buying to let Alex know what type of music you play, and a few other details besides. Your cab choice depends on it. Alex is a bass player so there will always be plenty to discuss.

10 out of 10.

[b]Overall[/b]
I played a gig last night with a supplied backline - a Trace Elliot AH-250 amp and a 1048H 4x10 cab. It was pretty loud and there was nothing really wrong with it, but I was missing that proper bass slam, as well as some articulacy and definition. If I hadn't got a Super Twelve, I'd have probably been impressed, but I've been spoiled by the Super Twelve, and it ruthlessly shows up failings in other cabs.

At the very worst you may get one only to have to return it after a trial period, as Barefaced do allow you to try cabs. Great idea.

I can't give ten as that has to be reserved for some mythical perfect cab. This cab is as close to perfection as I'll get in the real world. 9 out of ten then.

• 7 months later...

buy one!, i did and it was the best use of monies that i have ever.....er..done?
ignore my ramblings, believe the hype.
this little beauty replaced my full SWR stack (Goliath III 4x10 and Big Ben 1x18) and now im louder and clearer with no noticable loss in bottom end and less than a quater of the weight.
all i need now is a barefaced compact for the ultimate in trouser loosening raw bass dominance!!!!!!! (laughing insanely at self)

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1326498171' post='1498234']
There's a few Ampeg owners here wanting these Barefaced cabs! Everyone else fed up with the weight and want some of the easy life too?
[/quote]

The weight was one issue - moving the 410HLF twice a week was a pain but, for me its the mids - I can't hear myself live! The HLF in the low range is awesome but, that's all i could 'feel' - no definition on stage - 20' away it rips your face off but on a small stage - nothing :(
My Spectors are mid scooped too so, no way around it, it had to go (I did nearly cry when the dude picked it up yesterday!)

I went for the S12 purely on what I'd read on here - nothing but praise and I can't wait - I've sold my HLF at a loss and a USA P bass as a loss to just to raise the funds for a cab I've never heard!
Mad ain't we! :gas:

[quote name='grunge666' timestamp='1326655562' post='1500059']
The weight was one issue - moving the 410HLF twice a week was a pain but, for me its the mids - I can't hear myself live! The HLF in the low range is awesome but, that's all i could 'feel' - no definition on stage - 20' away it rips your face off but on a small stage - nothing :(
My Spectors are mid scooped too so, no way around it, it had to go (I did nearly cry when the dude picked it up yesterday!)

I went for the S12 purely on what I'd read on here - nothing but praise and I can't wait - I've sold my HLF at a loss and a USA P bass as a loss to just to raise the funds for a cab I've never heard!
Mad ain't we! :gas:
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean, I just don't hear a thing on stage. I'm up there with 2 guitarists and we're fighting for levels all night. I am so needing the mids from the Barefaced...