Why become a member? ×

Barefaced - Super Twelve T Cab

Me And My Bass

[quote name='Westie9' timestamp='1327664147' post='1514905']
...have just pressed the button!!! Never heard them or even seen one in the flesh !!! Madness? probably, but not all the reviews can be wrong can they....
[/quote]

They might be! Drop me a line if don't like it.

Like grunge666, i too have just pressed the button!!! Never heard them or even seen one in the flesh !!! Madness? probably, but not all the reviews can be wrong can they..........
[/quote]You will then have the same rig as me, which may or may not be a good thing, but I love mine :D
Had a quieter r/h this afternoon and it was just sat there beautifully.

Like grunge666, i too have just pressed the button!!! Never heard them or even seen one in the flesh !!! Madness? probably, but not all the reviews can be wrong can they..........
[/quote]

I'm sure the Super 12 is a great cab but I was on the forum when Basschat was Bassworld and I remember all the hype about the Hartke HA3500. It wasn't long before half the members on the forum had one. I took a punt on an Ibanez Promethean based on the reviews on this forum. It's a decent little combo but not quite what I was expecting having read the reviews. A review is, by nature, a subjective thing. I wouldn't advise anyone buy something they've not tried out.

..... oh, nearly forgot, anyone local to me got one I could try? :lol:

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='bassman2790' timestamp='1328169237' post='1522818']
I'm sure the Super 12 is a great cab but I was on the forum when Basschat was Bassworld and I remember all the hype about the Hartke HA3500. It wasn't long before half the members on the forum had one. I took a punt on an Ibanez Promethean based on the reviews on this forum. It's a decent little combo but not quite what I was expecting having read the reviews. A review is, by nature, a subjective thing. I wouldn't advise anyone buy something they've not tried out.

..... oh, nearly forgot, anyone local to me got one I could try? :lol:
[/quote]

Sometimes its not possible to try something out before you buy it, although you should always try to. I bought a HA3500 based on the ratio of good reviews to bad ones. It has served me well and hey, it's not a bad amp at all. I tend to read the bad reviews more so I know what to look out for and if its going to be an issue for me (to each their own).

Like you bassman, I considered a Promethean at one stage but having read a number of reviews saying it was not all it promised to be (and how would it defy the laws of physics in this way anyway?), I asked the question on here, a number of people commented and based on this I reconsidered.

A huge number of positive reviews for the Barefaced stuff reassured me before firstly getting in touch and eventually placing an order, I could only find one negative one, and even that said "it's just not for me" rather than anything actually wrong with the design/operation.

The key thing about the Barefaced stuff is that, whilst its not available in all the shops you can return it in 30 days if you don't like it, no questions asked*. Not many manufacturers do this sort of thing, not many shops do either.

Also, as it stands, you get to speak directly with the person who has designed the entire product range before you hit the button, meaning theres less chance of you being disappointed. When I spoke to Alex at Barefaced I enquired about a completely different cab to the one I ended up with, after a chat about what I wanted from it he pointed me in the right directon, with a couple of options. I doubt you'd get the chance to speak with 'Mr Ibanez' about what the amp could deliver before purchasing a Promethean. If you did, you might decide to go for somehing different too.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1328176437' post='1522932']
Sometimes its not possible to try something out before you buy it, although you should always try to. I bought a HA3500 based on the ratio of good reviews to bad ones. It has served me well and hey, it's not a bad amp at all. I tend to read the bad reviews more so I know what to look out for and if its going to be an issue for me (to each their own).

Like you bassman, I considered a Promethean at one stage but having read a number of reviews saying it was not all it promised to be (and how would it defy the laws of physics in this way anyway?), I asked the question on here, a number of people commented and based on this I reconsidered.

A huge number of positive reviews for the Barefaced stuff reassured me before firstly getting in touch and eventually placing an order, I could only find one negative one, and even that said "it's just not for me" rather than anything actually wrong with the design/operation.

The key thing about the Barefaced stuff is that, whilst its not available in all the shops you can return it in 30 days if you don't like it, no questions asked*. Not many manufacturers do this sort of thing, not many shops do either.

Also, as it stands, you get to speak directly with the person who has designed the entire product range before you hit the button, meaning theres less chance of you being disappointed. When I spoke to Alex at Barefaced I enquired about a completely different cab to the one I ended up with, after a chat about what I wanted from it he pointed me in the right directon, with a couple of options. I doubt you'd get the chance to speak with 'Mr Ibanez' about what the amp could deliver before purchasing a Promethean. If you did, you might decide to go for somehing different too.
[/quote]
Great reply, well said Bren! I've found Alex to be so helpful. Although I haven't actually heard a S12T one of my friends has a compact and a midget, they sound incredible, really cut through the mix live which is where it really counts for me. I will be ordering my S12T even though I haven't played through one yet.

There was a time when we were all buying plans for Bills Omni cabs (myself included) but after hearing one, they seem a little too hifi for me. I'm looking for a Boz Burrell / Andy Fraser old school tone. Will the Super Twelve deliver?

[size=4]I've played my Thunderfunk through 2 Compacts and the RH750 through an S12T. These cabs are the db's for tone, volume and weight. [/size]

[size=4]If my cabs give up the ghost Barefaced is where I'll be going. [/size]

Edited by chris_b

I`ll echo the sentiments re Alexs amazing customer service. If you chat/e-mail about what you`re looking for, he discusses the options with you, and you may possibly end up with something different to your original thoughts, but which fits your requirements much better.

[quote name='bassman2790' timestamp='1328179010' post='1522997']
There was a time when we were all buying plans for Bills Omni cabs (myself included) but after hearing one, they seem a little too hifi for me. I'm looking for a Boz Burrell / Andy Fraser old school tone. Will the Super Twelve deliver?
[/quote]

I think it really depends on your amp/setup. The Super12T can be used as a damned good PA speaker if you want to because all the frequencies are there, it's a tremendously flat response in terms of frequencies, so you will find that if you want some dirty resonances in there you can get it with EQ. but if you run a flat amp into it, you'll get a pretty flat response.

What you say about sounding 'too HiFi' I imagine to mean has a bit of a mid scoop (as a lot of hifi stuff does).
One thing I noticed about my S12 when I got it was that the mids were all there, it took me a bit to get used to it actually. The Genz amp I use has a rather clean, crisp sound from all accounts so I use a couple of dirty valve pedals (preamp and compressor) in front of it to shape my tone (imagine JJ Burnell meets Jack Bruce - although I can't play like hose guys!).

You should definitely speak to Alex if you're considering a cab, whatever your purposes, but have a think about the head you'll be using with it if you're after a particular sound because from what I've experienced the barefaced will pretty much chuck out whatever you chuck in.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1328191279' post='1523315']
but if you run a flat amp into it, you'll get a pretty flat response.
[/quote]

Are you sure? Just that I thought these cabs used the higher sensitivity 12" drivers which are biased to the upper mids (rising response above 500k and again above 1k)? Pad that back and you lose the sensitivity advantages. The Big series with the separate mids are the ones I'd be looking at for true clear PA-type response.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1328191279' post='1523315']
What you say about sounding 'too HiFi' I imagine to mean has a bit of a mid scoop (as a lot of hifi stuff does).
[/quote]
I agree with this, and it's a really important point when considering overall band sound IMO. It's too easy to impress with a mid scoop but unless you're careful about where you scoop exactly, it all gets lost in the mix. Centre it around 1-1.5k covering an octave and it all sounds very clean in isolation but loses the bite in the mix. On the other hand a lower scoop of between say 250 and 500 really makes a jazz/ray in particular sound tight but still growl. I don't like the default TC cab/amp voicing because they seem to emphasise just this muddy region. It works for some situations (P with flats, old-school vibe) but in general when I've mixed front of house I've found it a difficult sound.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1328199116' post='1523526']
If you want to give one a go, you're welcome to try mine.. .. I'm about an hour away from you in Stratford upon Avon...

MArk
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll PM you to make the necessary arrangements

If it's any help, I live just outside Wolverhampton. When it finally arrives (I'm into week two of an expected 4-5), you are more than welcome to come and try it out. Its a lot of cash to fork out on buying blind...

Just PM me your contact details and ill get in touch as and when it comes and well sort out a date.