Why become a member? ×

Barefaced - Super Twelve T Cab

Me And My Bass

I am suffering extreme torture :(
I had my new Super Twelve T delivered earlier, wow, that must be awesome you may be thinking, all I can do is look at it until 2pm as my missus has had a moan about me playing it in the house (again !!) why are families so intolerant to someone having a bit of fun, roll on 2pm when she goes out then I can have a play :)
First impressions, great care has been taken with the packaging, 10/10 for that, it definitely has the wow factor in my eyes with its silver cloth front and white piping, just how I like it :)
It feels very well built and is sooooo light, it could easily do without the wheels but I like to be spoilt !, the top handle is in the right place for rolling the cab about .
I like the crinkly paint finish, nicely different to the usual ripping tolex or cat scratch carpet !
I had a quick play and it sounds really good, cant wait for the woofers to break in so I can really hear it B)

I got my camera out to take some pics but the battery was flat, will post them later :)

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1331390513' post='1572257']
I am running the 25hz sine wave through it, I thought it would be noisy, shows how much I know
[/quote]

Quite. I ran my Kappalite in at 28Hz for 24 hours. You can only really hear it if you get quite close to the driver.
However, certain loose items in the house vibrate softly. It's like having a gentle poltergeist for a day.

You can download a sinewave mp3 from Barefaced site.
Plug the mp3 player into your amp and run the sine wave signal through your new Cab to run it in. (just like you run in a car, a sine wave is the equivalent of keeping it under 30 for the first few miles while everything loosens up) :)

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331647089' post='1576478']
just like you run in a car, a sine wave is the equivalent of keeping it under 30 for the first few miles while everything loosens up...
[/quote]

Well... keeping it under 30Hz, anyway. ;)

My Super Twelve is nicely broken in now judging by the deep bass throb as the sine wave is running, it has got steadily deeper at the same level .
I have just had a play and boy is this thing loud and clear, open E sounds so good whereas before with my pair of TC BC212s it was farty at any decent volume, this thing keeps it clear until your ears hurt, its really that good :)
One thing has surprised me, I have run my Ampeg PF500 and TC BH500 through the cab side by side and the TC has got the PF beat for volume !!

I was not sure whether this cab would be loud enough after using a 4x12 stack but believe me it is - happy days, half the amount of loading and less weight too :)

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1331662160' post='1576823']
One thing has surprised me, I have run my Ampeg PF500 and TC BH500 through the cab side by side and the TC has got the PF beat for volume !!
[/quote]

Make sure you put that on Talkbass for all the TC haters who jumped on the bandwagon to bash them even though they thought the amps were super loud!

Proves to me that TC actually know exactly what they are doing.

Cool stuff.

The PF does have a warmer more rounded tone than the BH500 and is easier and more straight-forward to use, I like both but have found that I dont need all the bells and whistles of the TC even though they are very good, also the PF is a lot smaller and lighter .
I think I will have to sacrifice a bit of volume for user friendliness :)

Not to add fuel to the fire and as a happy RH450 owner, I suspect the BH500 uses a different poweramp to the RH/Classic 450... What is interesting is that when my singer wanted a much duller bass heavy /no mid/no treble EQ out of the RH it started having to work very hard to get a decent level..

I think the TC amps have some sort of compressor limiter thingy (technical term) built in so that they seem louder than they actually are. When you start to fiddle with extreme EQs this becomes even more noticable as markstuk points out... There are many people who are quite happy with the way the TC amps squash the signal to get maximum volume. Most of the Class D amps are the same power section though, because only one company makes them (B&O) and everyone else licences the amps from them.

I have just got in from band rehearsal, the Super Twelve got a good session, I dont know how Alex can get so much out of such a compact and lightweight cab, it sings, it has turned my Ampeg PF500 into a different amp, the amp has a 5 way mid selector switch which I could not really get into with my previous cabs but now I can hear every slight difference in tone, there is not the slightest hint of a fart at any setting, and as for power and tone, this cab has it by the bucket-load .
We played in the kind of hall tonight that sucks tone out of a rig but there was plenty with this rig :)
I have not even used the active on my Fender P deluxe yet, it would just be too loud !! ;)

• 8 months later...

And according to Alex on FaceFook the prices are set to increase very soon - get in quick guys!
I have to say though, value for money even with an increase.

I had to use an Ashdown 8x10 at a rehearsal on Sunday - it was all I needed to assure myself the S12 was the way to go.

Edited by grunge666

• 1 month later...

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1331628922' post='1575961']
my missus said it sounded like a Chinook helicopter in the distance from where she was (upstairs) .
[/quote]

Your wife can identify different types of helicopter by their sound? Cool!! B)