Why become a member? ×

Ok - final decision - thoughts please!

Rachel

Right - it's crunch time!
Following much thought, I've narrowed it down to one of these two possibilities:

The Warwick rig: Warwick tubepath 5.1 with 1x15 and 2x10 -£700 for the whole lot. Pros: Can mix and match for different sized gigs (but will a 2x10 be enough?), a complete package, decent price.

OR

The David Eden 2x12 cab - £330. Pros: Good make, 2x12 is going to sound pretty hefty I would hope, should cope with most situations. Just one thing to load into car!
I would pair this with a GK 700 RB-II.
Cons - the cab is 4ohms so wouldn't be able to add anything, but then, would I need to?

This has got to be it - what would you recommend?

Nearly there boys, what a journey!!!
Rachel x

Oh heck....

Do we have the model numbers of the cabs?

The Eden might be quite nice, BUT im worried what it can handle wattage wise. That GK 1001 amp will be VERY loud at 4 ohms. Obviously its easy to be careful with your master volume so this may not be an issue.

Is there a link to the Warwick rig?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='840058' date='May 17 2010, 07:26 PM']Is there a link to the Warwick rig?[/quote]

I think it was this one [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86994"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=86994[/url]

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='840152' date='May 17 2010, 08:31 PM']Don't mean to complicate things further but you'll pick up a second hand Markbass amp for around £350 nowadays. Paired with a 2x12 you'd have a nice light, compact but very loud little rig.

I use a LMII with a Schroeder 1212r and it's incredibly loud[/quote]

You are of course right there.

Basically, a Markbass LM2/3 would be PERFECT for your needs. Light, very powerful, warm and precise tone.

That Warwick gear looks like their pro line and it is a valve pre...so great price,all in all, IMV.
The 2x10 will be enough for a small gig but one where the gtr also carries a small amp. Deffo ok for rehearsals if not blazing the volume, IMO.

But..a LMll and that eden 2x12 sounds the biz as well.

You can't go wrong with either.

If the GK amp was in the equation with the Eden..then I'd go the Warwick rig. I think the LMll and that Warwick 5.1 would be better amps, IMO.

Wawick rig + MM Stingray = insane sounds!

Mike McKeegan from Therapy? used a few Rays through a Warwick rig and it sounded killer.
He still uses Warwick amps and now uses Warwick ChromeTones too.
Serious gear!

There is a Warwick Extreme 10 head and 411Pro (4x10) cabsx2 going nearby for the princely sum of €600!!!
Now [url="http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=198921&cpage=2&perpage=15#comment-1677195"]THAT´s[/url] a bargain!
If I had the cash and wasn´t up to my neck in Ampeg and Marshall gear, I would DEFINATELY be all over it!

Back on topic, I reckon the Warwick rig wins out-go for it (it is a bargain)

Oh my good lord...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87870"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87870[/url]

This looks good too... with the 1x15 it's currently paired with, or possibly with the Eden 2x12?

YOu lot got me thinking with your comments on the LMII with the Eden you see, and then I found a really big thread on here singing the praises of the GenzBenz Shuttle6...
Tempted by such a teeny little lightweight thing...

[quote name='Rachel' post='841434' date='May 18 2010, 09:46 PM']Hmmm... can't find any second hand Mark Bass amps at the mo tho...I did have a look, but all out of my budget by the time I've bought a cab as well...[/quote]

The Markbass don't come up that often given how many units they must have shipped, and when they do they tend to get snapped up quick - an indication of just how well-regarded they are in the bass-playing community. I still think the Warwick will be the most powerful and versatile rig...but personally I really rate portability. It all depends how much louder you need your new rig compared to your current set-up! I'd guess that the Genz would be a tad louder but a lot clearer, whereas the Warwick would be a monster, with the Eden somewhere in between. To be honest I don't think you're going to know for sure until you've experienced a few different rigs, which means begging, borrowing, stealing or buying! At least secondhand if you buy wisely you won't lose much if you decide it's not for you.

[quote name='Rachel' post='841377' date='May 18 2010, 08:57 PM']Oh my good lord...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87870"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=87870[/url]

This looks good too... with the 1x15 it's currently paired with, or possibly with the Eden 2x12?

YOu lot got me thinking with your comments on the LMII with the Eden you see, and then I found a really big thread on here singing the praises of the GenzBenz Shuttle6...
Tempted by such a teeny little lightweight thing...[/quote]

That looks ace, buy that! A lot of rig for the money and no backache at all. I gigged for years with various half and full stacks (like a lot of people on here), i genuinely believe my current lightweight rig sounds better and goes louder than anything i've had before. For me it was a breath of fresh air not having to cart a ton of gear around, i can carry my bass, amp, cab and lead bag in one trip from the van.

Also keep in mind a single efficient cab will most likely be all you ever need, unless you're playing huge places with no decent monitors. I've done very large stages with the rig in my sig below and it's always been more than loud enough.

Another point, with that Genz rig and the Eden cab you'll get your money back fairly quickly if you decide to sell it on. Lightweight/compact gear always shifts as plenty of people are looking to downsize so it holds it's value well.

Gotta say, The Warwick deal is the best...but you do have to move it. If you can live with that... it will be the best reward, IMO.

Second would be the Eden cab..should be almost as monster as the Warwick soundwise. Markbass would be the amp but if there isn't one about then that lessens that deal.

If this counts as well..the Warwick rig looks the most intimidating and so added kudos there, maybe.

But these are your pennies, so if portability is a key issue...accept there may compromises in your choice..and that is ok. You have to deal with the practicalities of the purchase, not any of us.

The Warwick Rig is a fantastic price, I would lean towards it just for the sake of being able to use a 2x10 on its own for smaller gigs and rehearsals etc.

The Tubepath sound is very strong they really know how to make an amp that cuts through. Bonus if you not playing the best venues with good monitoring!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='841426' date='May 18 2010, 09:40 PM']Id choose the Markbass over the Genz Shuttle, but thats just me. It 'sounds' much fuller and they rate the wattages a little more normally with Markbass so its seems louder despite being rated lower![/quote]

+1

You sort of have 2 basic choices, it appears: Portable and impressive, or impressive and intimidating... Which direction, without looking at any of the gear, are you most inclined to go? All this stuff is re-sellabel anyway, if you find you're not happy with it.

You've got your hands, you've got the bass. I'd say speakers are the next most important part of your rig, then your amp. I have a Trace Elliot 250SMX head that I've sworn by, but it's off for a repair and I've been using my AMP BH-420 in its place (grudgingly at first). Given the opportunity (necessity) to prove it, I've found it's a great amp! Anyway, as long as I have my Bag End cabs, I'm in good shape no matter which head I use- within reason of course.

My point: Don't settle just for what's around if you really don't have to! Get what suits you. And I'd say that even if you have to use a 'second-choice' head, get speakers you like. See paragraph above...

How's that for throwing you a curve! Sorry... :)