Why become a member? ×

What is "the" smallest micro amp ?

largo

Ok, so gigging last night and the guitarists amp goes up in smoke. Not that big a deal, fortunately as he can feed his effects into one of the powered Mackie monitors and gets by for the rest of the night. We do have PA support thankfully. However, it got me thinking that maybe I should have a backup plan. Maybe I should carry a spare amp and wondered what the smallest micro amp is ? Being honest, I don't really care what it sounds like it just has to get me through a gig if need be. It'll sit in my "spares" bag so needs to take up as little room as possible.

The Gallien Krueger MB-500 seems to be the smallest amp I can find, but is there smaller? The MB-200 looks even smaller but I can't find it in the UK.
Or maybe I just need a Sansamp and drive into a powered Mackie monitor?

So, how small can I go?

Edited by largo

[quote name='Musicman20' post='838749' date='May 16 2010, 11:53 AM']Personally if I had the extra cash, a Markbass F1 would be in my collection. Very small, very light, and a tight punchy tone.[/quote]

Yes, definitely +1. By coincidence - I have only just spotted the MB-200 and made a post just a few minutes ago!!! lol

I always carry my old Sadowsky outboard pre-amp pedal as emergency backup. Luckily I've never needed it at a gig but I have used it at the odd rehearsal room with a knackered amp & simply bypassed the pre. Works really well like this - certainly better than some of the nasty Ashdown pre's in one rehearsal place I used to use!

Plenty of small amps around these days but all relatively expensive if they're not going to be used :)

A used Shuttle 3.0 is probably the lowest price option - enough power for most gigs if you're running into 4 ohms and/or have PA support as well :rolleyes:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='838749' date='May 16 2010, 11:53 AM']Sansamp/Tone Hammer (or other DI type pedal) is the easiest way with great sound.

Personally if I had the extra cash, a Markbass F1 would be in my collection. Very small, very light, and a tight punchy tone.[/quote]

I have a Markbass F500 as my 'back up' - and sometimes I use it anyway as it is a great amp

It's not ideal to lose my amp and then have to "take" one of the band monitors (we share 2 monitors between 5 of us, so it's not dedicated) as a bass amp isn't ideal. If the micro amp was small & cheap enough then I'm willing to look at that. The Gallien Krueger MB-200 looks like it might be the one regards price & size but keep 'em coming. Thanks.