Why become a member? ×

Sid gets a makeover

Clarky

Just took ownership of a nice late 70s cream DiMarzio pickup courtesy of Low End Bee (Adam). Installed it on Sid, my 70RI P-bass today, and it looks (and sounds) the dogs danglies. Obviously inspired by the great Paul Simonon (although I'm not going as far as painting out the headstock). I've also warmed again to Pyramid Flats and re-installed these, so its nice 'n slippy to play. Love it

Here's the real thing:
[attachment=49701:Paul_Simonon_3.jpg]

And here's Sid:
[attachment=49699:clarky_basses_001.JPG][attachment=49700:clarky_basses_004.JPG]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='837216' date='May 14 2010, 02:43 PM']Nice! I didnt realise how creamy Sid was. Thats exactly the colour im hoping the Stingray Classic turns up like...vintagey yellowing white. MMM[/quote]
Yeah, its very creamy - its a mid-90s CIJ bass (I'm not exactly sure how old) and all the older examples of these I've seen that started out as Olympic White have aged to this lovely yellowy/creamy colour. The cream DiMarzio matches it really well IMHO

[quote name='Raggy' post='837225' date='May 14 2010, 02:49 PM']How do these Dimarzio pups compare to something like a Wizard Thumper?[/quote]
I just replaced the Wizard Area 51 Stealth pickup that was in Sid with the DiMarzio.

The DiMarzio is definitely not as high output as the Wizard Area 51 but then the Area 51 has an especially high output (Andy at Wizard described it to me as a "special" pickup). I would guess the DiMarzio's output would be similar to that of a Thumper. The fact that rock players used to replace stock Fender pickups back in the day with DiMarzios tends to support that its higher output than a stock Fender.

Tone-wise the DiMarzio is quite woody sounding, not harsh at all, and in many respects it sounds like the Area 51 only not as loud and thumping. Worth a try mate IMHO and not an expensive experiment either.

[quote name='Clarky' post='837248' date='May 14 2010, 03:01 PM']I just replaced the Wizard Area 51 Stealth pickup that was in Sid with the DiMarzio.

The DiMarzio is definitely not as high output as the Wizard Area 51 but then the Area 51 has an especially high output (Andy at Wizard described it to me as a "special" pickup). I would guess the DiMarzio's output would be similar to that of a Thumper. The fact that rock players used to replace stock Fender pickups back in the day with DiMarzios tends to support that its higher output than a stock Fender.

Tone-wise the DiMarzio is quite woody sounding, not harsh at all, and in many respects it sounds like the Area 51 only not as loud and thumping. Worth a try mate IMHO and not an expensive experiment either.[/quote]

Thanks mate, sounds perfik, am looking into one of these.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='837410' date='May 14 2010, 05:27 PM']..also do I detect Paul Stanley on your mantelpiece?[/quote]
Eagle eyed BB! Yep, my family is big into plastic figures (Japanese weird monster-y things, Nightmare before Christmas stuff etc) and a couple of years ago they bought me a Paul Stanley figure to go with my musical toothbrush (which plays 'Rock n Roll All nite' as you brush, the harder you brush the louder it gets, I kid you not! Sadly not a replaceable battery, and so is no more)

[attachment=49749:kiss.jpg]

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='837206' date='May 14 2010, 02:34 PM']Just took ownership of a nice late 70s cream DiMarzio pickup courtesy of Low End Bee (Adam). Installed it on Sid, my 70RI P-bass today, and it looks (and sounds) the dogs danglies. Obviously inspired by the great Paul Simonon (although I'm not going as far as painting out the headstock). I've also warmed again to Pyramid Flats and re-installed these, so its nice 'n slippy to play. Love it

Here's the real thing:
[attachment=49701:Paul_Simonon_3.jpg]

And here's Sid:
[attachment=49699:clarky_basses_001.JPG][attachment=49700:clarky_basses_004.JPG][/quote]

I'll have Sid when you finished wiv it, Clarky :)

First post here. Been reading the forums for a couple of years, but never felt the need to write something until today. :)

Love the look of your bass. One of my favourite colour combos on a Precision.

[quote]I've also warmed again to Pyramid Flats and re-installed these, so its nice 'n slippy to play.[/quote]

Based on your choice of bass I suppose you play punk? Just installed a set of Pyramid flats on my 79 Precision because I wanted that 60s thump sound, but a nice side effect was that when I play with a pick I pretty much nails the Simonon-sound. Came as a bit of surprise really. All those years I played punk I never managed to get that warm but still punchy Simonon-sound, now that I've pretty much stopped played punk I got the sound by an "accident". :rolleyes:

How do you like the Pyramids?

[quote name='P-punk' post='846259' date='May 24 2010, 09:35 AM']First post here. Been reading the forums for a couple of years, but never felt the need to write something until today. :)

Love the look of your bass. One of my favourite colour combos on a Precision.

Based on your choice of bass I suppose you play punk? Just installed a set of Pyramid flats on my 79 Precision because I wanted that 60s thump sound, but a nice side effect was that when I play with a pick I pretty much nails the Simonon-sound. Came as a bit of surprise really. All those years I played punk I never managed to get that warm but still punchy Simonon-sound, now that I've pretty much stopped played punk I got the sound by an "accident". :rolleyes:

How do you like the Pyramids?[/quote]
Welcome to BC!

I initially loved the feel of Pyramids but was worried about the thudding, ill-defined E string thump and swapped back for TI Flats. However a couple of BC'ers pointed out the error of my ways in regard of how these strings sound live. So I've now got them on each of my fretted Precisions, Sid and my 72 sunburst. Gigged Sid last Tuesday and they were great, very punchy but also warm. Love 'em!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, further makeover - tried out a maple neck with fake F*nder waterslide decal on Sid. Simenon played his oly white bass with both maple and rosewood boards. Waddya reckon looks best?

[attachment=51263:paul_sim...he_clash.jpg][attachment=51265:clarky_basses_009.JPG]

[quote name='Clarky' post='855307' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:11 PM']OK, further makeover - tried out a maple neck with fake F*nder waterslide decal on Sid. Simenon played his oly white bass with both maple and rosewood boards. Waddya reckon looks best?

[attachment=51263:paul_sim...he_clash.jpg][attachment=51265:clarky_basses_009.JPG][/quote]

Both good, but maple does it for me! Especially once it's aged a bit to a nice "honey" :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='855357' date='Jun 2 2010, 08:47 PM']Now you can vote which looks best - if you are really bored! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90245&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90245&hl=[/url][/quote]

You have no idea how bored I am tonight, mate - But it's all good, as I start 6 days of solid gigs tomorrow!