Why become a member? ×

Desert Island pedals..blah..

phil.i.stein

Id have to start with my personal basics which would be a tuner, for obvious reasons, a compressor, and some sort of DI pedal just incase this island has PA I can put my signal through.

Id have a Line 6 M9 to cover all my modulation needs, loads of options there.

Then the rest would probably be 3 different stages of dirt and a blender to run them through. Id easily be sorted with that I reckon.

That's exactly what i'm trying to get in my pedalboard:

Tuner (korg pitchblack) -> Octave (MXR) -> Valve DRIVE (MB Distorsore but still searching) -> Fuzz (pickle pie B ) -> Auto-wah (3leaf audio) -> Fuzz in the 3leaf internal loop (EHX BBM) -> Synth (EHX Bass Microsynth or Akai Deep Impact if i could score one :) ) -> Compressor (EBS)

Just missing the pickle pie and the microsynth! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ghost_Bass

Ideally:

Korg Pitchblack (why didn't I get one of these sooner?) -> Digitech XP-1000 -> Boss OC-2 -> Human Gear Animato -> ZVEX Mastotron -> Lovetone Meatball (with exp. Pedal) -> HBE Psilocybe -> Boss DD-20

5 of which I already own, so I'm halfway to pedal perfection (although my perfect board stretches on beyond the reach of human comprehension and is powered by a million dying black holes)

You'll all be taking a laptop as a luxury along with a satellite modem to ensure you can keep in touch with Basschat, so if you buy a copy of Native Instruments Guitar Rig Kontrol you can use the pedal space for something else. :)

I could just stick with what I've got now:

PolyTune ---> Trace Elliot Quad Chorus ---> MXR Blowtorch ---> Sansamp Programable BDDI ---> poweramp

But in the interests of having 8 pedals (not sure about the sequence):

PolyTune ---> Mark Bass Super Synth ---> Mark Bass Chorus Flanger ---> Earthbound Supercollider (or Centurion) ---> MXR Blowtorch ---> Boss DD7 ---> Digitech Bass Whammy ---> Sansamp Programable BDDI ---> poweramp

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='832771' date='May 10 2010, 07:14 AM']You'll all be taking a laptop as a luxury along with a satellite modem to ensure you can keep in touch with Basschat, so if you buy a copy of Native Instruments Guitar Rig Kontrol you can use the pedal space for something else. :)[/quote]

Kiwi, what's the filter-age like on the Guitar Rig? The whole concept looks interesting, but I cannot actually find any demos of how they ACTUALLY sound.

thanks for all of your replies..

i realise that '8' was a silly no./restriction. so the number isn't impmortant as such.. just the simple 'trimmed' pedalboard idea was what i had in mind..

i'm trying to get a pedaltrain jr. to a good arrangement, & so far i have :

MB Compressore>Aguilar Octamizer>3 Leaf G.R.>EHX Bass Muff>Source Audio Pro-Bass Distortion>Sans-Amp BDDI>AMP

i only have the sans amp for a di signal, and i think that that will change, as it seems to limit some of the tones available from my set-up (the sans amp bddi makes it sound 'cold'?), any suggestions as to pedal sequence and to a better boost/di would be wellcome ..

also better alternatives to my current boxes ? I have a MM sterling Piezo H, so strong e.q. & signal etc....

thanks for your patience..

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='832670' date='May 9 2010, 11:17 PM']That's exactly what i'm trying to get in my pedalboard:

Tuner (korg pitchblack) -> Octave (MXR) -> Valve DRIVE (MB Distorsore but still searching) -> Fuzz (pickle pie B ) -> Auto-wah (3leaf audio) -> Fuzz in the 3leaf internal loop (EHX BBM) -> Synth (EHX Bass Microsynth or Akai Deep Impact if i could score one :) ) -> Compressor (EBS)

Just missing the pickle pie and the microsynth! :rolleyes:[/quote]
now this is interesting, you seem to like the compressor at the end of the signal. ..

i like it at the start, but maybe the compression at the end is another requirement..how did you find that option better ? please give me your knowledge ..

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='834746' date='May 11 2010, 09:54 PM']now this is interesting, you seem to like the compressor at the end of the signal. ..

i like it at the start, but maybe the compression at the end is another requirement..how did you find that option better ? please give me your knowledge ..[/quote]

I want my dynamics coming out wile playing and use them to affect the sound and tracking of my pedals resulting in different effects with the same settings (i.e. the 3leaf, the drive or a synth). I use a compressor in the end to level out some occasional peaks (mostly pops wile slapping). Even with a compressor i want to keep my dynamics and if i want to play lightly in the strings or give it a good smack i don't want it to raise or lower my volume becoming it dull and constant and boring!! I hate that kind of compressors!!!
You probably would say a limiter is more suitable for me but when it attacks a peak it simply cuts the sound at some point of the peak... A compressor decays that peak resulting in a more pleasant sound with a more continuous flow. The best pedal i've come across for that is the EBS but i have some curiosity with the Aguilar TLC.

Hope you can understand my idea, my english isn't very good :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='834746' date='May 11 2010, 09:54 PM']now this is interesting, you seem to like the compressor at the end of the signal. ..

i like it at the start, but maybe the compression at the end is another requirement..how did you find that option better ? please give me your knowledge ..[/quote]

On the odd occasion when I use compression,I always put it at the end of my signal chain to even out the peaks in the
signal coming from my effects. I also find that I can 'control' how the pedals react better without the compressor in the
way.

Oooohh...I've thought of another desert island pedal-Boss RC20-xl

Ooooo only 8 pedals? Tough question! I'm almost tempting to cheat and include a multi to get away with it all!

TU-2 > EBS MultiComp > MXR BOD > Source Audio Pro Bass Distortion > EHX Bass Big Muff > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy > MXR Bass DI

I don't really think I could get away playing with my band with only 8 pedals to be honest, without a multi like the M9 for my modulation stuff.

Been messing around with making an electronica board though, I think I could get away with 8 pedals on that!

TU-2 > EBS MultiComp > MXR BOD > Line 6 FM-4 > EHX BMS > ZVex Wooly Mammoth > Moog Low Pass > Moog Freq Box

Although having said that it would still be nice to have my DI on the board and a Whammy to boot too...

thanks for your replies, particularly on the compression front..i may have to re-try,re-think my pre-conceptions..

most of the stuff i play is punk/hardcore but also bass-heavy. i've always used the compressor to even out my inconsistent fingerstyle :rolleyes: or to get a funk slap tone, but now i think i might be brave enough to try your ideas..thanks guys.

oh my newest purchase is the Aguilar Octamiser. it is amazing. i was hoping to hear Markbass's octaver, but it never appeared as far as i know.. :lol:

keep em coming.. :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='835680' date='May 12 2010, 09:03 PM']I'd only need one.... Akai SB-1 I cannot live without this.[/quote]

I'm surprised by how little I miss mine. But selling it meant I could get the Steve Harris Precision, so it was a decent trade off.

[quote name='bartelby' post='836572' date='May 13 2010, 08:27 PM']I'm surprised by how little I miss mine. But selling it meant I could get the Steve Harris Precision, so it was a decent trade off.[/quote]

I would love to get my hands on one of them but the obscene prices they reach make me go for a microsynth and use the extra cash for something else... like a new amp! :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' post='837024' date='May 14 2010, 11:36 AM']I would love to get my hands on one of them but the obscene prices they reach make me go for a microsynth and use the extra cash for something else... like a new amp! :)[/quote]

Indeed... I have just been offered £450 for my spare one that's basically new... very tempting....