Why become a member? ×

Is bass bad for your your longevity

iconic

or is that musicians live fast and die early...or are bassists a different breed? Strange but a professional keyboard musician I met in Spain last year alluded to this as well...

for example:

Bernard Edwards
Tubbs Williams
Jaco Pastorius
Phil Lynott
John Entwhistle
Sidney Vicious

....etc

:)

Its not the instrument, its the music. There are loads of old jazzers

Off the top of my head: Milt Hinton, Ray Brown, Ron Carter (70), Steve Swallow (70), Larry Ridley, Bill Crow, Henry Grimes, Francois Rabbath, Henri Texier...

There's a lot of grey hair over here!!

Bloody hell, it's nothing compared to drummers - Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jeff Porcaro (Toto - bizarre gardening accident, Nigel Tufnel would be proud :)), Razzle, Eric Carr, The Rev (Avenged Sevenfold)...I'm sure there's more, I just can't pull them to mind right now...

No definite link to premature death by just playing the instrument, except by electrocution due to faulty earth, oh, and audience reaction to especially bad bass playing - oh and the one where the guy really shouldn't have worn that shirt ........

Think it kills brain cells and affects hearing - pardon :)

Don't think it's the music or the instrument, it seems to be the drugs, alcohol, and ...er... pneumonia :)

Something to think about though isn't it. Bass players are like the 'token (insert adjective here) character' from Hollywood movies, everyone likes us, but as soon as things get heated, we're f***ed!

[quote name='beardybass' post='821440' date='Apr 28 2010, 06:47 AM']Something to think about though isn't it. Bass players are like the 'token (insert adjective here) character' from Hollywood movies, everyone likes us, but as soon as things get heated, we're f***ed![/quote]

Yeah!! Like the crew member that beams down to the planet surface with Kirk, Spock, Chekov and Bones. If he hasn't got a name or a line, you just know he is going to die!! :)

[quote name='Bilbo' post='822018' date='Apr 28 2010, 03:11 PM']Yeah!! Like the crew member that beams down to the planet surface with Kirk, Spock, Chekov and Bones. If he hasn't got a name or a line, you just know he is going to die!! :)[/quote]

The Red Shirts! I wanted to name our band that!

I'm glad someone else noticed that when the red shirted ensons go down the fan and the crap will meet!

[quote name='iconic' post='820950' date='Apr 27 2010, 06:24 PM']or is that musicians live fast and die early...or are bassists a different breed? Strange but a professional keyboard musician I met in Spain last year alluded to this as well...

for example:

Bernard Edwards
Tubbs Williams
Jaco Pastorius
Phil Lynott
John Entwhistle
Sidney Vicious

....etc[/quote]

you missed out the best bassist ever

[url="http://img94.imageshack.us/i/jamerson.jpg/"][/url]

james jamerson.....died in his 40`s........ (47 i think)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='822023' date='Apr 28 2010, 03:14 PM']dinner ladies
S.P.[/quote]

[quote name='Bilbo' post='822029' date='Apr 28 2010, 03:15 PM']NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/quote]

Surely they have to reach a certain age before they even start the job?!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='820998' date='Apr 27 2010, 07:10 PM']:)

Its not the instrument, its the music. There are loads of old jazzers

Off the top of my head: Milt Hinton, Ray Brown, Ron Carter (70), Steve Swallow (70), Larry Ridley, Bill Crow, Henry Grimes, Francois Rabbath, Henri Texier...

There's a lot of grey hair over here!![/quote]

I guess Scott LaFaro is the exception that proves the rule

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='821079' date='Apr 27 2010, 08:11 PM']Bloody hell, it's nothing compared to drummers - Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jeff Porcaro (Toto - bizarre gardening accident, Nigel Tufnel would be proud :)), Razzle, Eric Carr, The Rev (Avenged Sevenfold)...I'm sure there's more, I just can't pull them to mind right now...[/quote]

not to mention the various drummers spinal tap had over the years.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='822023' date='Apr 28 2010, 03:14 PM']I think you can find plenty of examples of guitarists, drummers and vocalists who died early.

You can also find plenty of examples of teachers, policemen, soldiers, lawyers, bankers, street sweepers and [b]dinner ladies[/b] who died early.

S.P.[/quote]

one of my old dinner ladies got hit by a train.

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='821079' date='Apr 27 2010, 08:11 PM']Bloody hell, it's nothing compared to drummers - Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jeff Porcaro (Toto - bizarre gardening accident, Nigel Tufnel would be proud :)), Razzle, Eric Carr, The Rev (Avenged Sevenfold)...I'm sure there's more, I just can't pull them to mind right now...[/quote]

Joe Morrello,Ed Shaugnessy,Hal Blaine,Joe Porcaro (Jeff's Dad),Roy Haynes..... all still going in their 80's.

Rock Bassists entitled to a Bus Pass:

Bill Wyman (73)
Duck Dunn (68)
Jack Bruce (66)

Nearly there:

Lemmy (64)
JPJ (64)
Colin Hodgkinson (64)
Roger Glover (64)
John McVie (64)

A bit to go...

Tony Levin (63)