Why become a member? ×

Bass Distortion

ThomBassmonkey

It was mentioned to me the other day that some of our songs could sound good with some bass distortion, I'm not against the idea, but I've never found one that I like.

I thought since I've completely changed my rig since I last tried, I should look into it again, see if I can find anything that works with this setup.

I want to try and find something that doesn't sound like a fart. I've been listening to sound clips for a couple of weeks and the Blowtorch sounds ok, but even that's a bit farty to my ears, though because the clean signal goes through too it sounds a bit smoother. I've not really had a good play with anything though, just getting impressions from clips at the moment.

So, any smooth sounding distortions that don't kill the low end completely? :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

I always say how much I love the Emma Electronic ReezaFRATzitz. I don't know of many bass players
(or guitarists for that matter) who use one,but when I was looking for a distortion pedal that was my
favourite one by a long way.I love it. It can go from nice smooth overdrive right through to completely
filthy distortion.

I tried the Fender Sub-Lime recently and that is a really good pedal too.

[quote name='Doddy' post='818219' date='Apr 25 2010, 05:20 PM']I always say how much I love the Emma Electronic ReezaFRATzitz. I don't know of many bass players
(or guitarists for that matter) who use one,but when I was looking for a distortion pedal that was my
favourite one by a long way.I love it. It can go from nice smooth overdrive right through to completely
filthy distortion.

I tried the Fender Sub-Lime recently and that is a really good pedal too.[/quote]
if its anything like the discumBOBulator for quality , it gets my vote!

bass distortion is a big can of worms to open.. helluva a lot of contributing factors to take into consideration..
soundclips arent really the ideal way to choose (even though they serve a fantastic purpose)
but then again i realise that taking your bass into a music store and checking out a multitude of pedals through an identical amp to yours isnt always possible (but would be a sure fire way to determine which one works for you!)

theres always the option of finding a distortion pedal you like the sound of and then sticking it in a blender loop if you find that it loses low end...

sorry if i have`nt been terribly helpful....... : /

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='820334' date='Apr 27 2010, 09:59 AM']Try a Digitech Bad Monkey. Not too over the top and give a nice grindy edge. You can pick them up for under £30 too.[/quote]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAD-MONKEY-Overdrive-Guitar-Effects-Foot-Pedal-/140402828787?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20b0a925f3"]Heres a great deal on one.[/url]

I think I used one on the Caricatures recording.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='820497' date='Apr 27 2010, 12:10 PM']Marshall Jackhammer or the EHX Metal Muff - both surprisingly versatile with powerful EQ.

Even better if you use a Boss Line Selector to mix some clean in with it.[/quote]
+1 on the Jackhammer. Click on my myspace link below and listen to 'My Ship Is Ship Shaped' @ 2:34 I stomp on the Jackhammer. :) Sounds like Thor gargling hammers.

What's the deal with mixing drive pedals in the LS-2 loops? I've tried it with mine and in the A+B mix mode the levels are all over the place. Mega loud with the drive on and dead quiet with it off.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='823624' date='Apr 30 2010, 01:18 AM']+1 on the Jackhammer. Click on my myspace link below and listen to 'My Ship Is Ship Shaped' @ 2:34 I stomp on the Jackhammer. :) Sounds like Thor gargling hammers.

What's the deal with mixing drive pedals in the LS-2 loops? I've tried it with mine and in the A+B mix mode the levels are all over the place. Mega loud with the drive on and dead quiet with it off.[/quote]

Means you have a clean signal to carry your low end mixed in. You just have to balance the 3 volume controls.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='823637' date='Apr 30 2010, 01:37 AM']Means you have a clean signal to carry your low end mixed in. You just have to balance the 3 volume controls.[/quote]
What I want to do is have two wahs and two drives, one of each running parallel in each loop, and blend them. But the volume problem arises when I want just one distortion on. I can get what I want if I just use the blended loop for the purpose of drive/wah but I want to be able to use other effects in the loops individually without having to go mad knob twiddling.

From what I've had in the past the T-rex Bass Juice is very smooth and creamy, it has a mix knob so you can blend the distorted and clean signal and it worked well with my Stingray. The Fulltone Bass Drive is another good one, I miss having one, may have to buy another. Lots of options.

[quote name='D-L-B' post='823689' date='Apr 30 2010, 08:44 AM']What I want to do is have two wahs and two drives, one of each running parallel in each loop, and blend them. But the volume problem arises when I want just one distortion on. I can get what I want if I just use the blended loop for the purpose of drive/wah but I want to be able to use other effects in the loops individually without having to go mad knob twiddling.[/quote]

Like this?

loop A wah OD
loop B wah OD chorus phaser fuzz flange
A+B blended.

I don't understand why you'd have a problem, I do a very similar thing with my LS-2, you just have to set all your pedal volumes right.

[url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/videos/post/soundblox-pro-multiwave-bass-distortion-demo/"]http://www.sourceaudio.net/videos/post/sou...istortion-demo/[/url]

it is very synthy, but mixed/eq'd correctly it sounds amazing in a band set-up.

..the options are almost limitless.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='824939' date='May 1 2010, 04:01 PM'][url="http://www.sourceaudio.net/videos/post/soundblox-pro-multiwave-bass-distortion-demo/"]http://www.sourceaudio.net/videos/post/sou...istortion-demo/[/url]

it is very synthy, but mixed/eq'd correctly it sounds amazing in a band set-up.

..the options are almost limitless.[/quote]

Nice pedal. But that single-band fuzz settling is the least "good old-fashioned American rock music" sound I've ever heard. Sounds like someone torturing an alien wasp-monster.

Edited by mildmanofrock

[quote name='chriswilliams666' post='823406' date='Apr 29 2010, 08:45 PM']GK Diesel Dawg or MXR M-80 is the best from what i've heard.[/quote]

Your a tad Biased Chris! Being a Duff Fan (like me!)
If you could get one, the Diesel Dawg is fantastic, i like the M-80, and i really want one, but either they stopped making it, or that stopped making the one that Duff uses,

+1 for the Ashdown James LoMenzo, and the Ashdown Distortion plus is pretty good too!

now the Distortion in the Ampeg SVP BSP...

(before someone leaves a comment along the lines: What about it?)

It is sublime, but unfortunately i don't use my BSP much, its very sentimental :) and i can't put it in the effects loop of my MAG300 head... as i am too afraid too pretty much! haha plus i can't afford the extra cable :rolleyes:

Note:
I play with Distortion about 90% of the time, and for my Clean tone, i like it to be very bright, sort of Entwistle-esque i guess,
The LoMenzo i like to use in a band as the low end is still intact so the sound doesn't open up with gaps, but your over driven part of your tone can really shine, at least in my experience, and its very versatile, and solid!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='818165' date='Apr 25 2010, 04:25 PM']Ashdown Lomenzo hyperdrive is a good start, leaves the lows clean so avoids the fart. Is quite a lot like guitar distortion + blend, which gives you huge options.[/quote]

+1 on the Ashdown Lomenzo. It distorts the mids, giving a great drive sound without losing the low end. Its as good as a lot of pedals costing twice as much IMO.

The Hartke Bass Attack is a good pedal too, but you can't bypass the EQ section on that, which can be a pain.