Why become a member? ×

Is it just me or is this tune INCREDIBLE?

Duarte

You may think "pah, Britney", but give it a listen on some semi decent speakers or headphones.

I regard this to be a masterpiece, incredible production.

I always wonder who he bass players are on tracks like this, because they're always immense.

Edited by Duarte

I completely agree, I always used to discredit "pop" music when I was younger but now I find some of the best song writing, musicianship and production can be found on thi stype of pop tune.

With regards to the bass playing I think a lot of it is synth keyboard bass rather than a live player but I could be wrong. However its recorded bass player or keyboards its all good. I love a lot of the production on Beyonce records and its amazing seeing it being reproduced by a real live band.

With regards to Toxic if you like a bit or rock its well worth checking out the A Static Lullaby cover, its a bit of fun.

I remember seeing that vid a lot, when i was looking after our kids house one month. I saw it on MTV one day when i was going through a bizzaro (for me) period of watching a few hours every day.[I rarely watch an hour of tv a day at the best of times] This was on every couple of hours regularly. One day i must have been actually taking notice and realized it really was a class song. Produced to death of course and i don't believe any of the instruments are real, all digitized synth. But thats just as valid a sound as anything else i spose. Certainly goes well with this video.

ps: I think the [color="#FF0000"][b]red [/b][/color]hair is the best. :)

Edited by daz

While I'd agree that this is a well-crafted, well-constructed & produced piece of music - and it is a rare skill to be able to write music of this type - it does not touch me or move me on any level.

There is a specifically targeted market demographic for this type of product, and I am not it. :)

Jon.

Confession - I secretly like Girls Aloud (not just to look at either). Not exactly a challenging listen but great for putting on the iPod when walking the dogs. This stuff is written by people with lots of experience and skill. Admittedly a lot of "pop" is dire (in all sorts of genres).

meh. for the sake of not being an anti-social prick I have really tried and tried to listen to stuff like this, but by the end I always feel unmoved and uninspired. I then look to stuff like this in complete awe:

the dynamics of the drums, the way the bass is completely locked in and the way everyone's feeling what they play really does move and inspire me. and that's only a video I found the other day..

I know stuff like that isn't appreciated by the masses, but I listened to stuff like that before I started studying music and it really ponders the question why other people won't spend some time to appreciate what these guys are doing compared to people like Britney.

over producing music like that just takes anyway any "life" the music had, and to me just sounds as dull as the drone of a refrigerator.

sorry for the angry tone, just giving my honest opinion.

[quote name='deathpanda' post='817574' date='Apr 24 2010, 08:55 PM']meh. for the sake of not being an anti-social prick I have really tried and tried to listen to stuff like this, but by the end I always feel unmoved and uninspired. I then look to stuff like this in complete awe:

the dynamics of the drums, the way the bass is completely locked in and the way everyone's feeling what they play really does move and inspire me. and that's only a video I found the other day..

I know stuff like that isn't appreciated by the masses, but I listened to stuff like that before I started studying music and it really ponders the question why other people won't spend some time to appreciate what these guys are doing compared to people like Britney.

over producing music like that just takes anyway any "life" the music had, and to me just sounds as dull as the drone of a refrigerator.

sorry for the angry tone, just giving my honest opinion.[/quote]
WOW, that bass playing was immense..love the honk too...

do you know who the bassist is DP?

Edited by bubinga5

why dont people make POP records like this anymore?!!

this is a proper pop record

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDqO4nxk3xI&feature=PlayList&p=44B39F25810C8A0D&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=9"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDqO4nxk3xI...t=1&index=9[/url]

[quote name='deathpanda' post='817574' date='Apr 24 2010, 08:55 PM']meh. for the sake of not being an anti-social prick I have really tried and tried to listen to stuff like this, but by the end I always feel unmoved and uninspired. I then look to stuff like this in complete awe:

Somebody once (wisely I think) said to me "don't let becoming a musician spoil your enjoyment of listening to music". I understand why you like/appreciate/admire this. But sometimes you just want to put AC/DC on bloody loud and jump up and down :)

[quote name='Duarte' post='817437' date='Apr 24 2010, 07:15 PM']You may think "pah, Britney", but give it a listen on some semi decent speakers or headphones.

I always wonder who he bass players are on tracks like this, because they're always immense.[/quote]

Production wise, I fell it's over produced. Almost too clinical for my tastes. But each to their own.

(I must admit I absolutely hate the song and video so my opinion may not be totally subjective :))

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='Duarte' post='817437' date='Apr 24 2010, 07:15 PM']You may think "pah, Britney", but give it a listen on some semi decent speakers or headphones.

I always wonder who he bass players are on tracks like this, because they're always immense.

[/quote]

Crackin' pop.
You don't have to be touched by all music.
That strings hook figure is inspired.

+1 on the Richard Thompson version of Oops I did it again, specially the boroque end :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='deathpanda' post='817574' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:55 PM']meh. for the sake of not being an anti-social prick I have really tried and tried to listen to stuff like this, but by the end I always feel unmoved and uninspired. I then look to stuff like this in complete awe:

[/quote]

Amazing stuff..

[quote name='Bassassin' post='817549' date='Apr 24 2010, 08:29 PM']While I'd agree that this is a well-crafted, well-constructed & produced piece of music - and it is a rare skill to be able to write music of this type - it does not touch me or move me on any level.

There is a specifically targeted market demographic for this type of product, and I am not it. :)

Jon.[/quote]
+1

The music is alright, not a style I like, but alright. The lyrics are gash though in my view.

[quote name='Buzz' post='817642' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:11 PM']+1

The music is alright, not a style I like, but alright. The lyrics are gash though in my view.[/quote]

They're marketable which appears to be all that matters. That's what [b]makes[/b] it not my thing. Some of the hooks may be inspired, it could easily be a good tune, but given the context (the generic beat, horrible lyrics and singing, over-production etc) they just don't mean a thing to me. Again, just IMHO.

Pop tunes can be awesome. They're written in mind of having people tapping their foot and finding them catchy, it's one of the few types of music that's written solely for the listener.

Stuff like the Joe Duran "song" posted above bores the hell outta me. Each to their own though, variety makes the world go around etc but if that was the only type of music going, I definitely wouldn't have any interest in listening and I'd probably soon give up playing. It just strikes me as musicians massaging their own ego instead of trying to create something that's enjoyable just for the sake of being enjoyable. It's like a geeky in joke that has to be thought about so hard that it's not funny any more to me.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='817651' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:25 PM']Pop tunes can be awesome. They're written in mind of having people tapping their foot and finding them catchy, it's one of the few types of music that's written solely for the listener.

Stuff like the Joe Duran "song" posted above bores the hell outta me. Each to their own though, variety makes the world go around etc but if that was the only type of music going, I definitely wouldn't have any interest in listening and I'd probably soon give up playing. It just strikes me as musicians massaging their own ego instead of trying to create something that's enjoyable just for the sake of being enjoyable. It's like a geeky in joke that has to be thought about so hard that it's not funny any more to me.[/quote]

That's fair, if you're tapping your foot and it's catchy, you're connecting with the music which makes just as legit as any other genre, and although I don't like it, I'll give it that much. I just think that if you give stuff like that "song" a chance, you can go so much deeper than just tapping your foot...

I also agree about the AC/DC comment, sometimes you just wanna blast it out on full volume and jump about, but that can only last for so long...

The clip you posted was great and the musicianship was superb. However, after about a minute, the bass just sounded like he was soloing, fret w***ing and just playing any old sh*t that comes into his head. It did not seem to have any reason, direction or melody to it. A song like Toxic on the other hand is total throw away pop. Three minutes of sweet honey to your ears, a quick fix but nothing that should be taken seriously or looked at as a masterful piece of music. As a pop product it might well be a masterful piece of production but as a piece of music, its very simple and very repetitive but thats its purpose. Look at a lot of songs by the Police. Blimey, how much vocal reportition can you get. How many times does Sting sing I Can't Stand Losing, Roxanne (Put On The Red Light) or So Loney. It seems eternal but it's what you end up singing all bloody day and lets face it, The Police were all very good musicians, they just wrote great pop songs. This is the reason why more people don't get the music in your clip. Its easier to swallow a sweet honey over to fine vintage wine. However, once you get the taste of the vintage wine, honey just don't cut it any longer :)

[quote name='deathpanda' post='817654' date='Apr 24 2010, 10:36 PM']That's fair, if you're tapping your foot and it's catchy, you're connecting with the music which makes just as legit as any other genre, and although I don't like it, I'll give it that much. I just think that if you give stuff like that "song" a chance, you can go so much deeper than just tapping your foot...

I also agree about the AC/DC comment, sometimes you just wanna blast it out on full volume and jump about, but that can only last for so long...[/quote]

Sorry, I just re-read my post and realised how negative I sounded about the clip you posted.

I do enjoy "free" (whatever genre it fits) music and jamming in that style is great fun, I love the amount of freedom it offers. It is very much a player's music though, great fun for a while but it just doesn't hit the spot with me to listen to. I've spent a lot of time engineering and playing technical music and I find now I can't listen to it without really analysing it, so I can't simply enjoy it any more. Likewise, at the other end of the scale, I expect non-musos (or even people who aren't as interested in theory) wouldn't enjoy it because it's more interesting than fun music.

The musicianship is brilliant though and I can understand completely why people would listen to and especially play that kind of music, it's just not for me any more. :)

[quote name='Wil' post='817696' date='Apr 24 2010, 11:25 PM']I used to hate pop music on principle. Love it now. The production is an art in itself.[/quote]

This. I think throwaway pop is my favorite 'genre'. Everything sounds friggin' great, and you can sit back with your massive speakers or quality headphones and just go 'woah, these guys know what they're doing' or 'that sounds sh!t hot'

What I love about other Britney tunes is the insane funkyness. Basslines that in soooo in the pocket it's unbelievable, with the mandatory cheeky slap or pop every now and then.

The music isn't touching by any means. I've only ever been truely moved by a few pieces of music and I love those - but would hardly ever choose to listen to them. It's all about the beats and riffs man!

Thigs like this however, are truely inspiring. To me: