Why become a member? ×

Dorset Bass Bash 11th July

oldslapper

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='891782' date='Jul 11 2010, 09:31 AM']Please bring your Gibson T bird!!!!!!! I'd love to try it.[/quote]

Will do!! In need of new strings and a decent set up.. like most of my gear!!

Not sure if I'll bring my rig as there'll be plenty of others there.

Dorset Bass Bash successfully concluded.
Thanks to all who made it, hope you enjoyed it as much as me.
Soooo much bassy goodness.
Roll of hounour (hope I got this right): -

Marky L: Klystron 500 & Neo cabs, USA P Bass, Shuker P & Gibbo T-Bird
The Stick: EBS Rig, Sandberg, USA Jazz, GB Spitfire, Jeff Finch 6 string.
Dom: Home made fretless acoustic basses & variety of shop accesories.
Captain Rumble: Barefaced 1x15, Eden Highwayman, Tecamp Puma & beautiful Warwick $$
Barely 4 LMII, ABM 115 & beasty Yamaha Attitude (scalloped frets)
Deaver: LMII, Barefaced, Alembic, MTD & Jap P bass
BassBod: Sadowsky, Alembic, Fretless Jazz, Trace GP11 Pre, SWR Pre & Alembic Pre amps
MartinDupras: GK Fusion 550 head, Traynor Basemaster, Hartke cabs & 5 string Bongo.
Oldslapper: LMII, mini 48 & 115, bassix EUB & acoustic upright.

Just goes to show us country bumpkins have got some tasty gear.

Ian Aird gave a lovely demo of what you can do even with 2 strings missing on your bass, ably supported by Ben Cornish on drums and Dom on pipes.
Derek Halliday gave some useful advice on care & setups.

Pics to follow when I can get on the other P.C.

Thanks again chaps, very useful 3 hours that flew by, thanks also for letting me have a go on so many beautiful guitars. :)

John

Edited by oldslapper

I've had this in my diary for months - and I missed it! :)

Still here trying to finish a job that has to be delivered first thing tomorrow. All that lovely hardware so near and yet so far. Sorry folks. I promise to try harder next time.

Looking forward to the pics.

:) Thanks for a great afternoon,
it went too quick must make it longer next time,
although i brought four basses and stands, and my ebs rig, i came from Reading 80 miles, i got halfway ,then remembered i
didnt put speaker leads in car !!!!
but oldslapper came to the rescue, without a thought he leant me his !
Bass players ! why cant all musicians be like us? :rolleyes:
keep on rockin.... Trev.(thestick)

A big thanks to the organisers - where else could you hear a pipe/bass guitar/drum trio on Sunday afternoon..

Big surprsise for me was the Jeff Finch 6 string - beautiful construction and the first sixer I could imagine playing.

What a great fun afternoon! Thanks to John for the organisation and thanks to those who let me have a go on their gear. Especially Martin for setting up the "rig of doom!!! I have to get a valve head now!! :)

Small world too. Ben being aware of the covers band I'm in thanks to the singer in one of the bands he is in and also both Ian and I knowing we knew each other from somewhere but just couldn't figure it out! Loved his 8 becomes 6 bass and what incerdible playing too.

Thanks again, it was great meeting all of you. :rolleyes:

That rig of doom wasn't all my doing. Captain Rumble (if memory serves, my memory for names is terrible) lent his Barefaced Compact.

The rig of doom was the bass signal split in two, going into the Traynor YBA-200 200 watt all-valve head (3 12ax7 in the pre, 4xKT88 in the power section) into the Hartke 2x10 and the Eden 1x15, and the GK Fusion 550 going in Barefaced Compact.

'Twas very nice indeed.

- martin

[size=5]Some crap pics from me[/size]..........[size=5].better to follow from thestick[/size]
[size=4]Some Alembic love from BassBod & Dom[/size]

[size=4]The Rig of doom[/size]

[size=4] BassBod's axes[/size]

[size=4]Thestick setting up his gear[/size]

[size=4]O'slapps EUB and rig[/size]

[size=5] Some pipe/bass/drum (eventually) freeform jazz...........nice![/size]

[size=6]Some Pre-ampynes[/size]s

[size=5]Ian Aird doing weird & wonderful things on his old Shergold[/size]

A few pictures as promised;

[attachment=53997:BBashBod.jpg]

BassBod with go faster Spoiler

[attachment=53996:BBashML.jpg]

Marky L and Barely 4 discuss relative valve size

[attachment=53994:BBashDIS.jpg]

Dom in Somerset thumps the Brown Special, Captain Rumble ponders the need for another Compact

Lovely photos. Thanks John.

The acoustic 4-string with the tapewound strings (can't remember the handle of the owner, remind me?) sounded really lovely.

The drums, 8/6-string bass and drums jam was truly memorable. Did anyone record it by chance? It was gert lush, it was.

- martin

Can I also add my thanks and admiration to John (Oldslapper) for organising this event - top bloke as were all the other bass players (& Dom) there! Thanks to all of those who were kind enough to let me have a look/go on their gear……

As with all things that are enjoyable, the afternoon was over far too quickly, enjoyed every minute!

Martin’s rig of Doom / Capt Rumble’s combination with my bass was awesome – I can feel GAS coming on again!!!!

Having watched Ian's performance, I'd better get practising big time! :)

Rich

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='892548' date='Jul 12 2010, 09:37 AM']I was very much taken with an Alembic that I tried (I'm told , one of their cheaper ones) anyone know the model?

Growly tones that I'd never be allowed to use![/quote]

Called an Epic - supposedly cheaper, due to a glued in neck (not thru) and thinner/simpler finish. Its got the sound, but luckily no filters for eq- love 'em, but they scare me!

Thanks for the additional pics guys.

Thanks to all for coming and making it a great afternoon. A nicer bunch of guys you could not meet, only bass players could do this!! :)

John (who now wants an Alembic crossed with a Goodfellow that looks like a $$, has the Attitude of an ...Attitude and looks like a T-Bird, played through an EBS - Traynor hybrid valve amp and Barefaced cab)