Why become a member? ×

MIM Roadworn v USA Highway One

warwickhunt

I know the Road Worn Jazz has had some rave reviews, but you don't hear a lot about the Precision version. Ezbass on here has one with an extra split coil added & he seems to rate it well enough. As far as the Highway One Precision goes, the last couple I played were dogs with poor output & nastily finsihed necks.

Personally, I'd go for the RoadWorn for the neck lacquer, but that's just me. Apart from that, they're both nitro finished and there's only a badass bridge between them - Something that again, can be easily remedied.

RoadWorn for me.

As far as I'm aware...the road worn and highway one series are both made in Mexico.

The Road worn is just a classic 50's with a vintage job done on it and the highway one is US parts assembled in Mexico.

However, if they are as good as the classic 50's then very hard choice to make indeed!! Although, adding nearly £400 for a nitrous finish, dirty hardware, a bit of choice sanding and a few tea bags being thrown is a bit much.

andy

I played the RW and Classic 50s back to back also with a Lakland Skyline Glaub, but not the Highway1 at that time, although I have played them. The RW kicked the Classic 50s butt (as it should for the extra dough) and was better than the Lakland IMO. Generally better woods than the 50s and I think the p/up may be of US manufacture. The relic job is OK, a little cheesy here and there, but the playability and tone were the reason I bought "that" one (hey they're all different one way and another eh?). The Highway1 has a rosewood board so is a good deal shallower that the big ass maple 50s number on the RW if I remember correctly. Personally I don't get on with nitro necks as I find them sticky and stripped the finish of my RW (also sanded the neck a bit less fat too) so a win for the Highway's satin finish there. I've never been too sure about having a Badass on a P as they sound just fine with the old school bit of bent metal (I actually prefer the threaded saddles for ultimate side to side adjustment), so I'm not sure if either comes out on top there. My RW is super light, but of course that does lead to a bit of neck heaviness. Ultimately (and you know this of course) if you can, you've got to try two side by side, but finding somewhere with both might be a challenge. Either would be a good buy, however, as there are many, many happy owners of both types. It may just come down to which neck profile and material you prefer.

[quote name='andy67' post='804970' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:31 PM']Although, adding nearly £400 for a nitrous finish, dirty hardware, a bit of choice sanding and a few tea bags being thrown is a bit much.[/quote]

This should be the last line to EVERY review of a pre-worn instrument!
:)

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='andy67' post='804970' date='Apr 13 2010, 03:31 PM']As far as I'm aware...the road worn and highway one series are both made in Mexico.[/quote]

Wrongski I'm afraid the H1 is MIA.

The Nitro finish on the H1 is SUPPOSED to be thin and to chip and crack easily hence the reason its will look 'played in' very quickly and look like its been 'on the road' (or highway as they like to say in the US of A).

The Road worn is MIM nitro finished but pre-reliced.

As to which is best....? Your guess is as good as mine with Fenders QC.

The H1 P that I had was very good but I made it that by ditching all the std stuff and upgrading it. You could get an absolute peach of a MIM Road worn or a pig in either model.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='805049' date='Apr 13 2010, 04:51 PM']You could get an absolute peach of a MIM Road worn or a pig in either model.[/quote]

Hmmmm, I thought that 'might' be the case but I had hoped that there might be a consensus that one outweighed the other, especially as you are essentially looking at a very similar beast that costs (new) about the same! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='805052' date='Apr 13 2010, 04:55 PM']Hmmmm, I thought that 'might' be the case but I had hoped that there might be a consensus that one outweighed the other, especially as you are essentially looking at a very similar beast that costs (new) about the same! :)[/quote]

IME you are gambling buying a Fender without having your hands all over it before you part with your cash.

There would appear to have been a very similar problem with Gibson recently as well (certainly guitars but not so sure about basses to be fair!). This is a crying shame as both of these brands are seen as market leaders but that it would appear has lead to complacency.

Try before you buy and don't settle for anything that would niggle is my advice.

Brother Doctor_of_the_bass commented that the RW jazz in particular played and sounded just as good as a custom shop. It may be partially the nitro finish - My new 62 RI Precision has the nitro finish and it sounds totally unlike every other Precision I've played, but the RW may have some other upgrades they aren't mentioning, such as the pickups. I haven't had a chance to play one myself yet, but I am very curious about these.

Not played a RW, but the last two H1 Precisions have been a bit good. One was better than an MIA in the shop at the time (though that might be QC syndrome again)

The second was one of the survivors of my "cold day" at Bass Merchant a while back. It had been VERY cold the night before, and the humidity was very low. So much so that many of the basses were well "off colour"
The best basses in there under those conditions?
MM Bongo
A Euro LX Spector
All the Vigiers
And the lonely H1 P in the corner. Limited to what a P does, but it did that well.

I haven't played a naff H1 yet. A Jazz I tried was pretty darn good, too. Maybe I'm lucky!
My only issue is the lack of a Maple fretboard...

As I said when selling it, the closest Jazz I've ever played to a genuine (and very nice) '64 I played last year was the Roadworn I bought. I liked it comfortably better then the CS Jazz I tried. Although bits of the relicing were indeed a bit cheesy, the feel and sound (and light weight) were bob on, and I can say pretty much the same about all the RWs I've played, both J & P. They really are very vintage feeling/sounding, and have all been very light indeed. Of course that won't be for everybody.

Edited by 4000