Why become a member? ×

Ever get the feeling you're the only person with an opinion?

ThomBassmonkey

Obviously they're only opinions so everyone's different, but do you ever feel that you must be the only person on the planet that believes something?

My example is TC RS210s, tried one a while ago with my GK 700RB-II and I thought they sounded dull and lifeless. Crossed them straight off my list and wouldn't even consider one now.

Similar but not quite so extreme is Ashdown, I've had awful experiences with them and never found a combo that I thought sounded ok (and the stacks aren't as good as other similarly priced things IMO) but I know not everyone gets on with them.

Luckily we all like different things, so it's never dull.

Like for instance, I hate Rickenbackers. They're lifeless planks to me. I've only ever found one Precision I really covet & I think heavy rigs (anything more than 18kg per piece) are ridiculous! :)

But luckily there'll be someone here who thinks the total opposite to me. Variety being the spice of life and all that.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='796983' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:47 PM']Luckily we all like different things, so it's never dull.

Like for instance, I hate Rickenbackers. They're lifeless planks to me. I've only ever found one Precision I really covet & I think heavy rigs (anything more than 18kg per piece) are ridiculous! :)

But luckily there'll be someone here who thinks the total opposite to me. Variety being the spice of life and all that.[/quote]
The voice of reason, as ever, OTPJ

Mind you, what are you doing playing basses without proper heads? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Clarky' post='796985' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:49 PM']The voice of reason, as ever, OTPJ

Mind you, what are you doing playing basses without proper heads? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Funny that, mate - I wondered why all of yours had that useless over-balanced end bit that always gets knocked into things? Is it what they call a "knock stock" or something? :)

Yes, one has to voice reason these days, otherwise you get picked up by the Thought Police, LOL!

[quote name='Clarky' post='796985' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:49 PM']The voice of reason, as ever, OTPJ

Mind you, what are you doing playing basses without proper heads? :lol:[/quote]

Proper heads? It's worse than that, they've got no heads! What nonsense. :rolleyes: :lol:

Although, I do miss my old B2A :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='796989' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:56 PM']Proper heads? It's worse than that, they've got no heads! What nonsense. :rolleyes: :lol:

Although, I do miss my old B2A :)[/quote]

Next thing you'll be telling me is that bass necks should be made of some archaic material such as wood! I ask you?! That's so 20th century :lol:

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='796988' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:56 PM']Funny that, mate - I wondered why all of yours had that useless over-balanced end bit that always gets knocked into things? Is it what they call a "knock stock" or something? :)[/quote]
It is useless and over-balanced but bl**dy good for cracking into the guitarist when he's starts fret w*nking :lol:

Now can you say that about your perfectly balanced Statii (note plural). No you cannot. I rest my case. Thereby proving we all have different opinions but mine is the only right one :rolleyes:

I've never played a fender i REALLY liked... in fact the best 'fender' i played, was a squier VMJ.... (i've not played many, but they just don't sound particularly special to me)

I rather like ashdown gear actually, although the combos tend to be pretty awful IMO, especially the 115 ones. As for their stacks - woolly my arse, come see me play live and tell me i have a woolly bass sound, i dare you!

Edited by budget bassist

[quote]It is useless and over-balanced but bl**dy good for cracking into the guitarist when he's starts fret w*nking[/quote]

LOL! Nah, if you avoid the double ball end strings and go for the cut off standard strings in the top string retainer, you can agitate the geetardist's hemorrhoids while you're at it with a headless Status bass :)

On a more serious note, as Sam says, Ashdown gear is excellent. I've had several from a cheap EB180 combo to a MAG Evo II rig and they've all been excellent with great sound. If a little on the stupidly heavy side!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

The American Sadowsky I gigged was very average, the Sei 6 and Zon 5's I played were very poor sounding IMO.
My Ashdown rig and 3 Fender Jazzes are the best I've ever tried/gigged!

Controversial :)

Si

[quote name='thedonutman' post='797015' date='Apr 5 2010, 10:30 PM']I don't like Sadowskys.....There, I've said it. :)

The ones I played really didn't live up to the hype they get IMO.[/quote]

I'm with you on that one. All the Sadowsky's I've played apart from one Metro have been a real disappointment. Very ordinary sounding and not really having the quality vibe about them that people go on about.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='796965' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:30 PM']Similar but not quite so extreme is Ashdown, I've had awful experiences with them and never found a combo that I thought sounded ok (and the stacks aren't as good as other similarly priced things IMO) but I know not everyone gets on with them.[/quote]
By strange coincidence, the only mfrs that have ever floated my boat all started with the letter A.

Ashdown, Ampeg and Acoustic. A shortage of funds currently prohibits the latter two, so I'm muddling by quite happily on a mongrel Ashdown / Hartke combination.

Just my opinion. :)

Many disagree with me on this one, and it's make me feel very isolated, but I [b]hate[/b] Epiphones. Yes they are cheap... but that's no excuse for them to be insanely crap. And also nearly any Ibanez guitar. I'm not just saying these things to be unique and cool (like indie kids think they are) but I have never seen an Epiphone I've liked the look or sound of. Ibanez have some [url="http://www.noahjames.com/vintagepage/newmodel/rr550-rr150.jpg"]rare exceptions[/url] but I just can't get into the tone or their ridiculous wizard necks. I've tried to like them, I like the guitarists that play them, but the sound just doesn't do it for me.

In in the inevitable "who would win" round of the world's top film fighters, I still plumb for Jackie Chan. Sure, Bruce Lee would be a contender, but Jackie would be chucking the cutlery at him and bagging it on the slapstick.

I think I may the only person in the world of this mind.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='796997' date='Apr 5 2010, 10:05 PM']On a more serious note, as Sam says, Ashdown gear is excellent. I've had several from a cheap EB180 combo to a MAG Evo II rig and they've all been excellent with great sound. If a little on the stupidly heavy side![/quote]
You should try the ABM stuff! I had an EB180 head (which blew up, shocker) which was good, but i replaced it with an ABM 300 EVO II and i tell you what, they're worlds apart! The ABM is great, honestly, i can't recommend them enough!

[quote name='Rosh' post='797127' date='Apr 6 2010, 12:55 AM']You think that's bad?!

I'm the only person on the planet, neigh universe, that thinks Tim Burton is overrated.[/quote]
One of two, my friend. I can't stand most Tim Burton films, particularly the animated ones.

Edited by budget bassist

[quote name='budget bassist' post='797128' date='Apr 6 2010, 12:55 AM']One of two, my friend. I can't stand most Tim Burton films, particularly the animated ones.[/quote]

We can start a club!! I only like Edward Scissorhands and that's only because of the score!!!