Why become a member? ×

Ever get the feeling you're the only person with an opinion?

ThomBassmonkey

I like Tim Burton

But I dislike Ashdown and never played a Warwick that felt right, but they are well...opinions and I'm glad someone likes other stuff that I don't, that way I can shift my gear when I dislike it.

Can you imagine a world of SVT + 8x10 how boring would that be, plus there wouldn't be enough roadies in the world to move them around. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='796983' date='Apr 5 2010, 09:47 PM']Luckily we all like different things, so it's never dull.

Like for instance, I hate Rickenbackers. They're lifeless planks to me. I've only ever found one Precision I really covet & I think heavy rigs (anything more than 18kg per piece) are ridiculous! :rolleyes:

But luckily there'll be someone here who thinks the total opposite to me. Variety being the spice of life and all that.[/quote]

Luckily there is someone to clarify your point, I hope i'm not alone on this one though. :)

[attachment=46570:V8_Twin.jpg]

I have owned 3 Fender Jazz's and sold each one, as I hated the sound of the bridge pup, just has no go, no anything, love the necks though, so I posted this once on a JBass discussion and guess what, I was the only one.

[quote name='SS73' post='797217' date='Apr 6 2010, 09:14 AM']Luckily there is someone to clarify your point, I hope i'm not alone on this one though. :rolleyes:

[attachment=46570:V8_Twin.jpg]

I have owned 3 Fender Jazz's and sold each one, as I hated the sound of the bridge pup, just has no go, no anything, love the necks though, so I posted this once on a JBass discussion and guess what, I was the only one.[/quote]

Absolutely what I was saying - There's always a total opposite to your point on here :lol:

More to the point, how's your back?? :)

Oh good..a flame war.. :)

Pet hates...

Riks... look far better than they actually play, IME. Always wanted one when I first started and have never played one that was any good to my mind. So that was that bubble burst totally.

Warwicks and Status... good when they came out and made everyone sit up and notice...AND buy one. Clone wars and 80's timewarp now.. the Warwicks less so.

Sadowsky......so so so dissapointed when I tried one in the Gallery in the early 90's.. and that must have been a U.S model.

Ken Smith..wanted to hate it but couldn't.. but then couldn't afford it either..not so struck on the finish tho..

Alembic...don't even go there..

TE... nope..never my thing..but they did shake the amp industry up when they came out... Only liked a valve amp from them.

Ampeg... Crap speakers that even a good head couldn't make up for. very underpowered but maybe that is old news now..??

Is that ok for starters....???? :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

The thing is...we all look around and find what suits us..and everything else is crap..that is how this works in music, isn't it..?
I mean how many bands sounds like sh*te in your rehearsal rooms..?????

:lol: :lol:

Edited by JTUK

Jazz basses. Horrible plinky sound. Skinny girls necks. Only sound half decent with all the bridge pickup rolled off.

Can't tell you the number of times (Ok about half a dozen) I've seen a band with a 5 stringer and he never touches the B once all set. What's that all about?

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='797315' date='Apr 6 2010, 11:02 AM']Jazz basses. Horrible plinky sound. Skinny girls necks. Only sound half decent with all the bridge pickup rolled off.[/quote]

Woah, this could be offensive! But not to me, however.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='797315' date='Apr 6 2010, 11:02 AM']Jazz basses. Horrible plinky sound. Skinny girls necks. Only sound half decent with all the bridge pickup rolled off.

Can't tell you the number of times (Ok about half a dozen) I've seen a band with a 5 stringer and he never touches the B once all set. What's that all about?[/quote]

I do find that sort of thing really bizzare. I play sixes mostly and I do most of my playing on the low B. If I want to play anything from low E up to low G# then it's played on the B string ( I don't use open strings too often ). It's called 'ergonomics', why move about all over the neck when you can stay in one position ?

Opinions change with time and experience though...

I used to hate... HATE... precisions with a passion. Then I had a lightbulb, 'road to Dimascus'-type realisation when I played a '66 P-bass - now I can't get enough!

I love Ashdown ABMs. Have since I first played through one. I can't understand why people give them such a raw deal. The early amps (pre-EVO series) are stonkers. Having said that I wouldn't buy a new one! Wouldn't give their cabs house room either! I quite fancy one of these new fangled 'fit in your gig bag pocket' amps that everyone goes on about... but wouldn't buy an Ashdown one.

I also love Bongos. Hated them to look at when they first came out, but 'the proof of the pudding...' as they say. Wouldn't be without mine now. It's a monster!

Owned a Wal for a while. Didn't really see what the big deal was. Good enough instrument, but my Warwick Corvette (which could have been bought for sub-£300 at the time) was every bit as good. Sold it for a massive profit which made me happy.

Used to think there wasn't a Warwick made in the last 10 years that was any good, but played a Streamer Jazzman 5 last week that changed my mind totally!

Also used to think I couldn't get on with Musicman 5 strings because of the string spacing - having had both a 'ray 5 and a Bongo 5. After the encounter with the Warwick 5 last week I know it wasn't the string spacing I disliked as the Warwick's spacing was tighter again. Must have been something else I disliked - neck profile perhaps. Who knows.

As I guy I went to school with always said - 'take it all in and mix it all round - it's all experience!' - but he was a nutter!

Opinions are all very well as long as you're open for them to change and as long as you realise everyone else is entitled to theirs - a big problem for some people, especially on internet forums.

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='797377' date='Apr 6 2010, 11:50 AM']Used to think there wasn't a Warwick made in the last 10 years that was any good[/quote]
A lot of people seem to be saying this, and I really don't understand it. I think it's mainly people who haven't played a Warwick in the last ten years because they threw all their toys out their pram when they started making the necks out of ovangkol and changed the dimensions.... my 0.02

[quote name='budget bassist' post='797509' date='Apr 6 2010, 01:32 PM']A lot of people seem to be saying this, and I really don't understand it. I think it's mainly people who haven't played a Warwick in the last ten years because they threw all their toys out their pram when they started making the necks out of ovangkol and changed the dimensions.... my 0.02[/quote]

Possibly. Not sure what it was. Must have played 5 or 6 made in the last 10 years and they just weren't in the same league as my bog standard '93 Corvette. Must just have had a run of bad ones through my hands because that Streamer Jazzman 5 was something very special. Beautiful bass - best setup I've ever seen. Not a rattle or buzz anywhere.

I've only played the newer Warwicks. The Corvette $$, Corvette fretless and Thumb BO were amazing. Whereas the FNA Jazzman 5 and the SS1 were a bit weird both in terms of tone and ergonomics. I thought they would all have relatively similar neck profiles, but I guess not?

Edited by thedonutman

Now you're asking. Compared to my own Warwick (a 93 Corvette Proline - bolt-on wenge neck, bubinga body) the ones I disliked felt cheap - mine was the very bottom of the range when it was released, the forerunner of the Corvette Standard. One in particular I remember was a Streamer Jazzman 4 I played in Sound Control in Glasgow. Looked stunning but just felt all wrong. Hard to describe. It felt raw and unfinished, like a set of strings that feel like a cheesegrater, know what I mean? Sharp fingerboard edges. Sharp fret ends. Badly set up. Bloody expensive. In comparison there was a RockBass Corvette 5 sitting right next to it and it blew my socks off it was so good.

Trends seem to have a lot to do with Warwick popularity - they had a serious fall from grace a few years ago (they seemed to be seen as the bass for metal, almost like they couldn't do anything else!) and there were quite serious bargains to be had in the second hand market. Still a bit of that going on now.

I wouldn't ever go as far as to say they're rubbish, but it's each to their own isn't it - I'm sure most people who've referred to them in such a way didn't mean they're only good for lighting the fire with. Throwaway terms like 'it's rubbish' usually mean 'I didn't like it, it wasn't my cup of tea, but I can't be bothered typing to tell you why'. One mans meat and all that. I wouldn't go as far as to say I'd never buy a new(ish) Warwick, but it'd have to impress me the way this last one did. I'm sure the basses I disliked would be perfect for somebody else. But Warwick's recent products, in my opinion (and that's all it is), aren't in the same league as their older basses, but I've always been open to having my opinion changed on that - and that Jazzman 5 went a long way towards doing just that. I judge a bass individually, not by what I think of the others of its type that I've played.

But then I own a Bongo - so how good can my taste in basses actually be! :)

Edited by Bigwan

IMV..the neck is a aquired taste....................that baseball bat neck wasn't my ideal.. great slightly compressed sound out of the Thumb tho.
I preferred the neck thrus as well...

I also kind of think the company got too big and outsourced some stuff. This diluted the marque, IMV and now there is nothing about them from the PR that would make me look at them again. Dated look, IMO, but anyway, it doesn't matter a jot, they just aren't my thing now.
I must admit I was chasing them hard some time ago..

[quote name='Rosh' post='797129' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:57 PM']We can start a club!! I only like Edward Scissorhands and that's only because of the score!!![/quote]

Can I join?

Little known fact, the phrase 'overrated shoe-gazing toss' was first used by Nostradamus when he predicted the existence of a (and I quote) "pretentious little man with daft hair making films for teenage gofficks and that gimp from AFI" true story.

[quote name='beardybass' post='798558' date='Apr 7 2010, 12:04 PM']Can I join?

Little known fact, the phrase 'overrated shoe-gazing toss' was first used by Nostradamus when he predicted the existence of a (and I quote) "pretentious little man with daft hair making films for teenage gofficks and that gimp from AFI" true story.[/quote]

He did add IMHO though. Very Web 2 was Nostradamus, if you overlook the Latin and rhyming couplets.