Why become a member? ×

Would you play a style thats not to your taste ?

thunderbird13

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='791908' date='Mar 31 2010, 02:01 PM']Quick rule of thumb, if you don't like listening to the music, chances are you won't enjoy playing it.[/quote]

On the other hand, playing a style of music that you've hitherto not enjoyed listening to can lead to you appreciating it more.

I'm playing in a new country band atm. If anyone had told me a few years ago I'd be playing country I'd have shot myself. but i'm really enjoying it and learning loads.

i find it stretches my playing by making me learn a whole new idiom rather than doing what i always do. And yes you can bring something new to it (eventually).

It really is true that there;'s no such thing as a bad genre, only bad songs. If the tunes are quality, then there's every reason to play them.

I think the key is in the original post; if it's fun then I'd do it. Just because the music isn't to my taste I wouldn't dismiss it as there are other factors that are as equally important - are the other people playing good to hang out with, am I learning anything. The only thing to bear in mind is that you may start to tire of the situation quickly if you find out that you really don't like playing the music you might feel obliged to continue so not to let your mates down kind of thing.

In retort to the original question I'd just say no unless it was for a mate. I refuse to play stuff that won't challenge me or that I find interesting to play (regardless if I enjoy listening to it) as it's just not worth it. I'd rather play stuff I've written in a band format rather than whatever cover is the order of the day.

This may come over as somewhat snobbish. I'm about to elucidate to why I think like this. A few years ago I was between bands so I thought I might try a few cover bands. So I went for a few auditions. At one of them I asked if they wanted the bass EXACTLY as it was recorded and they said "no." I took this as a sign to fill out some simple songs. I then got asked to play exactly what was recorded - I wasn't even trying that hard or even being flash. No problem, I know the songs.

It then got ridiculous, I asked what they were specifically looking for in a bass player - "someone who can push the envelope" was the reply. How can you do this I asked if you're doing everything exactly as it's recorded? I found this somewhat ironic given that they were playing the wrong chords on quite a few songs "Pinball Wizard" and then played "Jumpin' Jack Flash" in the wrong key!! Do as I say not do as I do? Indeed.

I'm sure as a multi-instrumentalist quite a few people don't have to listen that carefully to tell if someone's playing the wrong version of a chord to a song they know well especially say if you can play it on different instruments. If you can see their fingers on a guitar you can usually tell.

Needless to say these morons actually still get gigs and frankly this one experience has put me off ever doing cover stuff again as I was very close to losing my temper in a rather extreme way at the ludicrous patronisation on offer.

Maybe this should be a reply to "should I stay in my bedroom as opposed to doing covers with folk who have delusions of grandeur and aren't actually that good."

Sadly that topic doesn't exist. Yet. Sorry for the vent, just had to get that out my system!!

Edited by Wolverinebass

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='791908' date='Mar 31 2010, 02:01 PM']Quick rule of thumb, if you don't like listening to the music, chances are you won't enjoy playing it.[/quote]
I don't like listening to Spanish choral music from the Counter-Reformation period... but by 'eck I like singing it. Listening and performing are two utterly different things. Maybe I get it from years of growing up in school orchestras, bands and choirs. It was a real rarity to play something I genuinely liked to listen to, but the buzz of performing in an ensemble made that dwindle into insignificance for me.

That's always stuck with me. I'd be happy playing anything, as long as I was playing with people.

I reckon do it, I love blues as it is such a creative genre! Take for example me, a bloke from Poland that was fed death/trash/power/doom/black and any other sort of metal you can think of from my early days! When I came to England I have never heard of people like Bootsy, Larry Graham and a million if other players! I've benn told by my girlfriend that there was a "funk" band looking for a bassist but I told her that I don't know how to play funk etc. Went to the first practice and we're still going strong 3 years later! I love the guys in the band and I can click with the drummer instantly whatever any of us is playing! I introduced them to some crazy arrangements and off-beats that are usually found in metal abd they introduced me to songs that prove that less is more! It's a good and healthy thing to go and try something else! Think of it as buying a house, you wouldn't go and look at just one would you? So why get stuck onky in one music genre?

Just my 2p

Jack

[quote name='JackLondon' post='792000' date='Mar 31 2010, 03:00 PM']Think of it as buying a house, you wouldn't go and look at just one would you? So why get stuck only in one music genre?[/quote]
But you'd only buy the house that you liked, not live in loads of ones you hated because it was a "learning experience". :)

[quote name='Wolverinebass' post='791991' date='Mar 31 2010, 02:54 PM']"should I stay in my bedroom as opposed to doing covers with folk who have delusions of grandeur and aren't actually that good."[/quote]

Haha - I know exactly what you mean. The only problem with that attitude is that I'd end up just playing in my bedroom which would mean that I'd get bored and give up bass

[quote name='RhysP' post='792051' date='Mar 31 2010, 03:39 PM']But you'd only buy the house that you liked, not live in loads of ones you hated because it was a "learning experience". :)[/quote]

Yes but you wouldn't know if you hate without seeing it. If you won't play something you don't know if you like it or not.

[quote name='JackLondon' post='792066' date='Mar 31 2010, 03:52 PM']Yes but you wouldn't know if you hate without seeing it. If you won't play something you don't know if you like it or not.[/quote]
There are many styles of music I hate. I know I'd hate playing them without needing to try it.

For example: Ska makes me want to go on a violent, indiscriminate killing spree, and has done since I first heard it over 30 years ago. I have to leave the room if it's being played anywhere I detest it so much.
There is no way on earth that playing it is going to make me think "Oh, this is OK actually".
I would rather cut my arms off than play Ska music. There is not enough money in the world to adequately compensate me for having to play a millisecond of Ska.

I've played in a wedding band for 14 years soave been playing a lot of music that is not my style.

From the Brown Sugar Thread where I was undeservedly slated for saying that I played it my way - if I am playing something I don't particularly like, I try to make it my own. Perhaps by using subtle improvisations or completely different bass lines. The truth is that most punters really don't care what you are playing and if it happens to be 3bpm faster than on the record then who is really going to notice and who gives a f***?

The most important thing is to entertain the paying public and as long as you can do that and enjoy yourself then I see no harm in it.

If you can take these songs and change parts so you enjoy playing them more, the rest of the band are happy and the crowd enjoy you then you've done your job and enjoy yourself in the process. IF you can't do that then get out and get into something you will enjoy

[quote name='Delberthot' post='792419' date='Mar 31 2010, 08:30 PM']The most important thing is to entertain the paying public and as long as you can do that and enjoy yourself then I see no harm in it.[/quote]

This is where I fundamentally disagree with a lot of people.

f*** the punters.
When I play I'm doing so purely for my own entertainment and enjoyment.

If people like what I'm doing then that's brilliant, but if they don't then I honestly don't care so long as I'm happy with what I'm doing, even if it means nobody but me & a few other people ever hear the music.

Played all sorts to pay the bills and put food on the table while studying for a career change in my 30's.

Just used to remind myself that playing my bass was WAAAAY more preferable to working doing practically anything else to earn the money.

My bass helped to feed me and pay the bills. My best friend at the time, earned far more with my bass than I paid for it.

Just my 2p

T

It depends what people are expecting.
A blues style guitarist, and singer with funk laden bass player and a drummer who's into metal.... sit in a room long enough bouncing ideas off each other and who knows waht amazing stuff you could come up with? Why does anything have to stay in a particular style? It's all modulations of sound at the end of the day, as long as everybody uses the same pitch for middle C everything will be fine.

A lot of musicians could do with getting over themselves and opening their ears a bit. I don't think there' a genre of music invented i couldn't find something interesting in it and learn from.

[quote name='RhysP' post='792442' date='Mar 31 2010, 08:46 PM']This is where I fundamentally disagree with a lot of people.

f*** the punters.
When I play I'm doing so purely for my own entertainment and enjoyment.

If people like what I'm doing then that's brilliant, but if they don't then I honestly don't care so long as I'm happy with what I'm doing, even if it means nobody but me & a few other people ever hear the music.[/quote]
Unless, as Delberthot was implying, its a function band. Once money comes into the equation and it becomes a job morals can take the back seat.

[quote name='Mog' post='792429' date='Mar 31 2010, 08:35 PM']I'll play anything except pub trad. Ya know that [size=3][b]"ooohh ahhh up the ra sh*te"[/b][/size]. I try to ply with as many musicians as possible. There is always something to learn.[/quote]

Have you got the TAB for that? :)