Why become a member? ×

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='790811' date='Mar 30 2010, 05:12 PM']As you can see, with me, it matters not one jot as long as I look professional (and play professionally) & have the right sound/quality in my hands. I don't care what other people think as long as I'm happy with my gear :)[/quote]

In the threads you mention, I don't think other people are asking "what do you think? I'll ignore my own opinions and follow yours", I think people are just voicing their own opinions. You like the way your gear looks and probably would say so if the topic came up, why shouldn't other people? Especially with things like Bongos and Gus that have unique looks.

Personally my image is important to me as a member of a band, but having usable gear is more important. So I'd pick a bass that plays and sounds nice, then if possible get a colour that works with the band image.

Though in saying that, I did recently trade one of my basses for another one pretty much purely on looks. I've not been disappointed though in terms of feel and tone or I probably would've moved it on again (I'm still trying to work out if I have any use for a 4 string anyway.) though it does look cool in photos (the only place it's actually been used to any effect so far).

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='791144' date='Mar 30 2010, 09:21 PM']In the threads you mention, I don't think other people are asking "what do you think? I'll ignore my own opinions and follow yours", I think people are just voicing their own opinions. You like the way your gear looks and probably would say so if the topic came up, why shouldn't other people? Especially with things like Bongos and Gus that have unique looks.[/quote]

He's got a point there OTPJ you're always posting photos of that Status, it's obvious you've got a total boner for that bass. :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='791148' date='Mar 30 2010, 09:22 PM']I've got a van with a disabled conversion and a Singlecut.

I'm comfortable with my immense coolness.

:)[/quote]
:rolleyes:

In actual fact what, what does a van with a Singlecut look like. :lol:

Thanks, guys - Some interesting responses so far :)

This thread set out to ask a question and there have been some very honest responses & some very funny ones too, so thank you.

To clarify, by "looking professional", I mean I will always dress appropriately to play professionally & the main reason I post pics of my Status basses in particular isn't to show off what I've got, but to continue to promote a company which I have been supporting for over twenty years, whose values and quality I hold in very high regard.

As for those seeing a good opportunity to have a personal swipe at me, keep trying assholes :rolleyes:

Keep the thoughts coming in, guys. It's very interesting to see how people prioritise their gear buying choices.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

* Everybody's got an 'image', even if they set out not to have one. One's image is how other people perceive one and, in the last resort, is beyond one's control.

* Everybody's got a self image. That's how one perceives oneself.

* These two images do not always coincide.

* In my case, there is no bass on earth that will stop me looking like a sack of sh*t tied up in the middle.

Edited by skankdelvar

With my rig I got it second hand at half the price and it's what I'm happy with sound and power-wise.

My bass: I'm looking to buy a Fender Jazz (active) because the tone is fantastic -- looks are yet again an after thought.

I wouldn't believe me though, I'm 6ft3 tall with big red dreadlocks, looks don't mean a lot to me! :)

Humans are visual creatures. We consume with our eyes. Food, sex, basses. Everyone has their own tastes, if we don't like the look of something we won't consume it.

There was a thread recently on a custom bass £5k+. No one had even heard it and they were all knocking it for its looks, even the price tag was steep and raised a few eyebrows, but had it been more traditionally shaped everyone would have wanted to hear it/play it before making judgement.

As Bilbo says, the problem is that the image we try to portray doesn't always come across to the people we are trying to portray it to. Even if the image is that I don't care what you think about me.

In the words of the song - If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

[quote name='TimR' post='791352' date='Mar 30 2010, 11:41 PM']In the words of the song - If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice.[/quote]

Fantastic quote, excellent track.

I prefer:

"People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think."

[i]George Carlin[/i]

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='791318' date='Mar 30 2010, 11:07 PM']Not at all, ThisNameIsTaken - Yours was one of the more common sense variety. Much appreciated viewpoint sensibly put :)[/quote]

Good. I didn't think you'd read it the wrong way but there's a growing movement against me I think (maybe my fault) so I just wanted to head you off at the pass. I'm not expressing myself well here these days, or I just grate on some people, or something. About to resort to O/T to try to sort it out...

I like the way this thread's gone - to combine a consideration of both one's aesthetic sensibilities and the knock-on effect that has on the image one projects as a performer, and to celebrate an appreciation for a satisfyingly British vulgarism.

And in that spirit I can proudly say that it matters not what bass I choose to play, how I dress or indeed which direction I comb my hair in - any time I step on stage, I will never fail to look like a gigantic, absurd arse.

J.