Why become a member? ×

Kiwi's Shuker Headless MIDI 6

Kiwi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update: the finish has been causing Jon a few problems mainly because the redwood is soaking the lacquer up like a sponge, in particular over the cavities in the body. Looks like this redwood has been causing Jon no end of problems in working with it. Anyway, the bass isn't going to be ready for the charidee gig on Monday :)

• 4 weeks later...

Jon sent me this pic. Apparently there have been some issues with lines in the wood that haven't hardened properly when the original layers of finish were applied. Jon's not sure about why it has happened, it could be pores or pockets of resin but he's chased out the unhardened lacquer with some acetone and he's filling them with superglue.

[attachment=15981:DSCN5059_1_.jpg]

No getting past how mouth wateringly stunning that wood grain looks though.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='296131' date='Oct 1 2008, 06:56 AM']You getting excited CK?[/quote]
Now I've seen how the facings look, I am! :) It's been a bloody long wait though.

That looks awesome!
Gorgeous bit of wood right there.

This bass was probably the final nail in the coffin for my headless GAS, and that's just from looking at the "in progress" photos!
I'll be ordering a headless 6er hopefully next year, there's probably a few folks on the forum I might invoice to help with the deposit, it's all the peer group pressure, honestly... :)

Eude

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='331202' date='Nov 18 2008, 01:45 AM']Forgot to mention that Jon said he plans to let the bass grace the home page of the shuker website for a bit too.[/quote]
With that facing wood I'm not surprised. That's gorgeous that is!

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see Jon on Friday on my way through to a Leeds gig and managed to get a few shots of the instrument.

He still needs to deal with some blemishes and flatten back some overspray but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. :)

The neck profile is based on my Smith 6 and its a load more shallow than the Spector (which I'm actually more used to now because I play it exclusively apart from a 4 string). I'm all for the idea of getting used to one bass now, I've found switching instruments too often screws up my muscle memory and it makes playing quickly a bit difficult. So I'm going to get used to one instrument for a while and see what happens.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='360138' date='Dec 21 2008, 11:56 AM']I went to see Jon on Friday on my way through to a Leeds gig and managed to get a few shots of the instrument.

He still needs to deal with some blemishes and flatten back some overspray but I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. :)

[/quote]

that looks awesome, did you see any other basses while you were there?

[quote name='Ant' post='360282' date='Dec 21 2008, 03:50 PM']that looks awesome, did you see any other basses while you were there?[/quote]
Jon showed me a few necks including one he's building for a bass for the bloke in the Kaiser Chiefs apparently. I also picked up Veil's 5 string and tested it for ergonomics and weight. Its a very nice instrument, medium light and feels very comfortable. I'd be very happy with it if it was mine :)

I also had a go on the daphne blue jazz bass that Jon has on the Shuker home page. I didn't quite know what to make of it, the instrument was definitely not jazz sounding. The midrange was full and very solid and not at all scooped. I wondered whether the pickups were in phase with one another instead of out of phase like on most jazz basses. I think I'll have to talk to Jon some more about how he's set the electrics up. I also tried a single cut headless 5 that he's very happy with and that had Jon's typically solid mids/lower mids.

Jon is also building me a headless guitar with some Steinberger parts I'd scored off Ebay and a Fernandes Sustainer. I'd left the body up to him to design but said I liked his standard body shapes.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='360138' date='Dec 21 2008, 11:56 AM']I went to see Jon on Friday on my way through to a Leeds gig and managed to get a few shots of the instrument.

[/quote]

Beautiful!!!! Absolutely!!! The top looks amazing - in 'real life' I reckon it's mouthwatering!