Why become a member? ×

Kiwi's Shuker Headless MIDI 6

Kiwi

[quote name='dood' post='405999' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:28 AM']new baby Doodle (sorry, 'Sally' I believe, eh Rich lol)[/quote]
Ohhh yes :) you just KNOW that the name has stuck forever, don't you? :P

[quote]Steve, I like your second idea and your logical approach makes sense.[/quote]
+1 for the second design. I also v.much like the idea of varying knob size.
;)
Stop sniggering at the back there, boy.

Yeah, the second layout might be OK, if I make sure the piezo and MIDI volumes are almost mini pots. It would simplify the clutter a lot I think.

EDIT: Just spoke with Jon and he's going to have to check if the mini pots (similar to what might be found on an effects pedal) are going to be available for digital applications in the right impedance. He's happy to go with the second control layout too.

Jon might send me a photo this evening possibly...

You could put the LED switch on the back like mine are. That would free up the vol push pull (I assume) for something else.
Knob size variations sounds like a good idea.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='407020' date='Feb 11 2009, 09:56 PM']also, the bass might be finished the weekend after next![/quote]

Doubt it.. Half term next week ;) He'll be child wrangling ...
:P

[quote name='OldGit' post='407042' date='Feb 11 2009, 10:19 PM']You could put the LED switch on the back like mine are. That would free up the vol push pull (I assume) for something else.
Knob size variations sounds like a good idea.

Doubt it.. Half term next week ;) He'll be child wrangling ...
:P[/quote]
What makes you think he's going to be working on it during the week? :) He's been working on the electrics during the weekend for the past three weeks because its the only time he can focus on it undisturbed. Talking to him about it I can hear his eyes glazing over when he starts talking about how the various signals are fed into the preamp. I have to say I really admire what he's managed to get his head around in terms of understanding voltages, impedance mismatches, pot resistances etc. as he tries to get the whole bass to be powered off the MIDI cable when its plugged in (thereby only needing batteries when in non-MIDI mode). He says the control cavity looks like a complete birds nest at the moment too and half the battle isn't fitting the components its stuffing all the wiring in!

Using the 2nd layout this is a similar control layout to the yammy trb5,
so you have vol, pan, piezo along the top, with the piezo on/off just above the piezo volume so you'll always tend to brush the switch on when reaching for the piezo vol. Then the eq under the vol and pan and the midi vol and switches out to the back.
Gives the impression that there aren't many more controls than with the trb, and is relatively logical.

That doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. I have a feeling that the controls will be a little more spaced out generally though. Thats a relatively tight cluster and I think you're right about brushing things.

I think the controls in my version are still slightly too chunky still but I haven't had time to reduce their size.

hmmmm, Jon and I were emailing for most of this afternoon over the controls. He said he couldn't do option 2 because there wasn't enough room between two of the controls. So we've been looking at other options and we seem to have gone with a pair of inclined straight lines. So I guess Jon will have drilled the holes this evening and taken the bass home to work on over the weekend...

[attachment=20269:IMG00037.jpg]

I tried to get Jon to send through a couple of larger shots so I can see what the bass looks like when I collect it next week but he didn't reply. The suspense is doing my head in. Looks like he's gone for a satin finish on the bass rather than full gloss. Maybe he couldn't get the gloss to work properly.

[quote name='Finbar' post='409083' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:52 PM']Photos can lie. The camera might not have picked the gloss up?[/quote]
Yeah its possible although I would have expected to see some sharp highlights on the edges at least. I guess there's also the possibility that he might be saving the final spray and polish until he's done all the installation work but no way of knowing at the mo either way...

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='409092' date='Feb 13 2009, 10:03 PM']i saw this yesterday ;)[/quote]
Oh really? Are you gonna leave me hanging like that matey? :P

Actually Jon's just emailed me again (at half past 10 in the evening) to say he'll send through a couple of shots tomorrow.

nah, ok. i can't be that bad.

unfortunatly after all that suspense i don't have a lot to tell you. apart from that it wasn't glossy, but that it looked very, very nice ;)

he also showed me all the gubbins that he has to squeeze into it. that things gonna have more electronics than a gun ship!

My ACG 9 was going to have the Graphtec preamp and MIDI out. After I installed Cubase 4, I found out that I had loads of sounds in there and so I didn't need the extra wiring or the Axon.

The 2 Graphtec preamps (piezo and MIDI) piggy back each other, so it's a really clever way to get both signals without doubling the wiring.

It's going to be awful crowded in that control cavity, but it's gonna work great.

The main reason I've plumped for the MIDI thing in the bass is that my keyboard playing is so crap. Still have to see what impact MIDI lag will have on any playing though. But even if that doesn't work live, I can also use the bass with a Roland V-bass which has an interesting range of bass synth capabilities with no noticable lag. The only thing I won't have is any ability to eq the piezo signal unfortunately, but will have access to the bright/dark voicings. That doesn't bother me too much, I'm unlikely to need a muffled piezo sound as far as I can tell at this point.

OK Jon says the wiring has been completed and the bass will be ready for collection this weekend!!!

He's left the finish matt for now because he didn't want to mark the gloss finish while he was working on the electrics. But it will be glossed up later in the week. He's also going to try and finish both guitar bodies for me this week so that (hopefully) I can take them back with me as well. It'll be like bloody christmas at my place on Sunday with various guitar parts and stuff to play around on.

Growing up is overrated.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='411473' date='Feb 16 2009, 08:43 PM']OK Jon says the wiring has been completed and the bass will be ready for collection this weekend!!!

He's left the finish matt for now because he didn't want to mark the gloss finish while he was working on the electrics. But it will be glossed up later in the week. He's also going to try and finish both guitar bodies for me this week so that (hopefully) I can take them back with me as well. It'll be like bloody christmas at my place on Sunday with various guitar parts and stuff to play around on.

Growing up is overrated.[/quote]

Just make sure your digi cam is fully charged that you have plenty of space in your photobucket account. I'm not saying that we are desparate for finished pictures of this baby, but it would be such a shame if you were attacked by a basschat lynch mob so soon after taking delivery of your new bass. Remember, we [u]KNOW[/u] where Peterborough is ;)

[quote name='JPJ' post='411851' date='Feb 17 2009, 12:07 PM']Just make sure your digi cam is fully charged that you have plenty of space in your photobucket account. I'm not saying that we are desparate for finished pictures of this baby, but it would be such a shame if you were attacked by a basschat lynch mob so soon after taking delivery of your new bass. Remember, we [u]KNOW[/u] where Peterborough is ;)[/quote]
LOL, I'd better make sure the camera battery pack is fully charged then...

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='409080' date='Feb 13 2009, 09:47 PM']hmmmm, [b]Jon and I were emailing for most of this afternoon[/b] over the controls. He said he couldn't do option 2 because there wasn't enough room between two of the controls. So we've been looking at other options and we seem to have gone with a pair of inclined straight lines. So I guess Jon will have drilled the holes this evening and taken the bass home to work on over the weekend...

[attachment=20269:IMG00037.jpg]

I tried to get Jon to send through a couple of larger shots so I can see what the bass looks like when I collect it next week but he didn't reply. The suspense is doing my head in. Looks like he's gone for a satin finish on the bass rather than full gloss. Maybe he couldn't get the gloss to work properly.[/quote]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='409123' date='Feb 13 2009, 10:45 PM']Oh really? Are you gonna leave me hanging like that matey? ;)

Actually [b]Jon's just emailed me again[/b] (at half past 10 in the evening) to say [b]he'll send through a couple of shots tomorrow[/b].[/quote]

For real? ;o) I haven't heard from him very much at all this year! Think I have had about 5 mails total! lol lol

[quote name='dood' post='412777' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:05 AM']For real? ;o) I haven't heard from him very much at all this year! Think I have had about 5 mails total! lol lol[/quote]
Well I hadn't heard much from him either until the last few months. Had to call him usually because he doesn't like the way emailing sucks up so much time. So I'm guessing he doesn't do it unless absolutely necessary because I'm still waiting for him to email me a couple of shots of the finished bass which he says are on his camera.