Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this amp/cab combo?

Sarah5string

I'm looking at upgrading from my laney RBW300 which is an 165w combo to something more powerful that'll last me a good while.
Spotted this combo on ebay going for BIN £199 which seems a bargain so wanted opinions on whether they were any good and knew of only one place to ask :rolleyes:

This head.. [url="http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BX4500H-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B0002Z82W6"]http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-...r/dp/B0002Z82W6[/url]

This cab... [url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BA410.aspx"]http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BA410.aspx[/url]

The cab is more powerful that I would need but for the price it seems like a decent investment either way and could always downgrade if it were too much anyway :)

[quote name='jjl5590' post='789383' date='Mar 29 2010, 01:56 PM']behringer are not a good make, i would never buy anything from them[/quote]

I bought a few of their effects pedals a few years back, all i can say is what a load of rubbish.
They only cost about £20 new, so i guess you get what you pay for.

You will probably be better off waiting untill a good second hand amp comes up on here for sale.

cheers

thebassman

[quote name='jjl5590' post='789383' date='Mar 29 2010, 01:56 PM']behringer are not a good make, i would never buy anything from them[/quote]

I agree in terms of their amps, had a Behringer 15" combo and it was ridiculously heavy and really quiet for its supposed large wattage. Plus there are numerous stories of their reliability issues. Definitely a good idea to get a 410 though, they sound huge even with heads that aren't particularly powerful. The brand I turn to when I want relative cheapness with a decent sound is Ashdown, their MAG range is great for the price IMO.

Edited by josh3184

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789379' date='Mar 29 2010, 01:52 PM']I'm looking at upgrading from my laney RBW300 which is an 165w combo to something more powerful that'll last me a good while.
Spotted this combo on ebay going for BIN £199 which seems a bargain so wanted opinions on whether they were any good and knew of only one place to ask :rolleyes:

This head.. [url="http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BX4500H-Guitar-Amplifier/dp/B0002Z82W6"]http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-...r/dp/B0002Z82W6[/url]

This cab... [url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BA410.aspx"]http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/BA410.aspx[/url]

The cab is more powerful that I would need but for the price it seems like a decent investment either way and could always downgrade if it were too much anyway :)[/quote]

Never used Behringer and so cannot comment, apart from being able to buy 2nd hand a proper Hartke ally cone cab for ~£100 and maybe a bit more required for a matching amp. Bought mine 2nd hand and I'm very happy indeed (paid a bit more for a 2x10 XL with the HF horn from a listee too, perfect)

Just to add some balance, I regularly gigged with a Behringer head - the one that's a copy of the Ashdown MAG. It never let me down, I got brand snobbery something chronic and replaced with an Ashdown which let me down three times with three different heads.

There will always be 'friday afternoon' examples, and I agree your chances are higher with some brands than others but it doesn't mean you ALWAYS get something shoite.

I would echo the comments about buying used, you'll get so much more bang for yer buck!

Cheers,
James

Hi Sarah

If it were me i would try for seperate head and cab as they are usually lighter to carry, and in the case of a fault its eaiser to borrow a head or a cabinet.

I have no experience of Behringer although they do have a poor reputation.

If you are on a budget, I would much rather buy a second hand reasonable quality bit of kit than a new cheap one.

Amps 'tend' to keep going for many years, My normal gigging amp is thirty years old and my spare is even older. I use those in preference to an abm ashdown and an eden.

I would probably look for something like a peavey bass cabinet, with a black widow 15 in it. Cheap as chips a bit heavy, but almost bombproof. A second hand trace elliot or peavey head can also be found fairly cheaply.

I compare amps to fashion. there is always something new coming along which is the latest, best, loudest, lightest, trendyist, smallest, biggest, has flashing lights in blue,red,pink,green. The amps that no one could give away in the 60s and 70s are now trendy again and command premium prices.

Good Luck with your search,

I've heard many stories about people having issues with Behringer stuff, but that hasn't been my experience personally. My band has a PMP5000 powered mixer and several DI boxes from the 'B', and we've never had any trouble with them. Also, our Guitard has a Behrry 4 x 12 underneath his Hiwatt head, which is a fearsome combination, and it only cost him £80 second hand.

It's the good old 80:20 rule - you can get 80% of the performance for 20% of the cost. In my opinion, all the time you're playing with others in a live situation, no-one in the audience will notice that 'missing' 20.

I used a Behringer 810 cab in a rehearsal studio recently and was left pretty underwhelmed. It weighed a ton and sounded awful. Oh, and the tweeter was blown. I'm not a massive gear snob by any means (although I can't stand ashdown gear).

In terms of decent budget gear, I always find myself being impressed by Peavey. I used a Mark VI head for years and loved my 410TX cabs (didn't like the weight though).

I would urge you to have a try of a Tour 450 (450 Watts in 4 Ohms and around £280) and a 410TVX.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789461' date='Mar 29 2010, 03:02 PM']Hmmm.. going to have to have a think about the weight issue really. I'm a reet skinny minny as it is and my current laney is already a backbreaker, although that's a combo.[/quote]

That's what bandmates and besotted fans are for.

MB1. :)
Hi Sarah
The thing with the Behringer gear(apart from it being pants that is)...is resale value isnt good if you decide to move it on.I think with Ashdown Gear you wont lose anywhere near as much on the resale... and they are like Laney based in the U.k.
...They Live LOCALLY! :rolleyes:

I've got what I consider to amongst the best amp/cab combinations available but a couple of weeks ago I played through a Peavey "V" head and 4x10 cab (also Peavey) and was really impressed by the tone and power even though it was only rated at 250W

If I was in the market for another amp/backup amp I would be looking for one of these

Hope this helps

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789461' date='Mar 29 2010, 03:02 PM']Hmmm.. going to have to have a think about the weight issue really. I'm a reet skinny minny as it is and my current laney is already a backbreaker, although that's a combo.[/quote]

One of the nicest amps I had was an eden metro combo. I used it for a year and then sold it at a huge loss because it was so heavy.

Again, you will get all sorts of differing opinions but I personally would steer away from the very small lightweight amps. When they work they are fine, if there is a problem they are hard/expensive to repair.