Why become a member? ×

Opinions on this amp/cab combo?

Sarah5string

No, your head would be 4 ohm minimum, some run at 2 ohms. Two 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms. Three 8 ohm cabs = 2.66 ohms approx. Four 8 ohm cabs = 2 ohms. You will never get a 1 ohm head. It's confusing at first but it soon gets clearer. If you run a 4 ohm head into a 2 ohm load you'll blow the head. Most heads you're considering will work with two 8 ohm cabs perfectly.

For your needs, anything in the used Ashdown, GK, Trace Elliot or Hartke range will work fine. Ashdown gear is good, but can be over generous on it's specs and power ratings. GK is tried and trusted solid tone, and the Backline range secondhand would be perfect. Trace Elliot are built like brick sh*t houses, and are gig worthy, reliable and deliver tone and volume for days, and you'll pickup a used head and cab setup for little money especially the older range. Hartke has gone out of favour of late, but they are superb amps and like Trace, early models will deliver volume and tone in spades for little money.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='789914' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:50 PM']No, your head would be 4 ohm minimum, some run at 2 ohms. Two 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms. Three 8 ohm cabs = 2.66 ohms approx. Four 8 ohm cabs = 2 ohms. You will never get a 1 ohm head. It's confusing at first but it soon gets clearer. If you run a 4 ohm head into a 2 ohm load you'll blow the head. Most heads you're considering will work with two 8 ohm cabs perfectly.[/quote]

:)

Come again? :rolleyes:

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='789915' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:50 PM']If your Laney has a visible cable with a jack plug going into the speaker, then yes you could get someone to make you up a speaker lead with a male jack at one end and a female jack at the other end.

What sort of overall budget were you thinking of?[/quote]
Max £400 all in for a head and cab somewhere between 300-400 W.

See above for budget, I play in a hard rock bank similar to deftones early smashing pumpkinsish stuff, but in general I love Tim from Audioslave's tone as well as Chris from Muse. I've played with the Ashdown MAGs before at rehearsals in the past and loved them so think I'm pretty set on one of those unless someone can come up with a better alternative :)

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789934' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:58 PM']lol sorry! I'm kidding really :rolleyes:

Ideally I want to stay around the West midlands staffordshire region as with 2 kids in tow it's difficult enough to travel as it is! lol[/quote]

Absolutely understandable with the kids in the equation :) Well best of luck with the shopping, Sarah. I'm sure you'll let us know what eventually transpires as your "rig of doom"!

Oh hang on.. the ohm's thing has just clicked. I get it now. Sorry for the complete ignorance and difficulty in understanding! I've had combos for as long as I can remember now and this is the first time I've been looking to buy seperates so it's all new to me! Apologies guys. :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-Mag-600-Bass-Amp-and-Cab_W0QQitemZ110510697674QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19baf36cca#ht_500wt_947"]This[/url] Ashdown is on eBay at the moment. With this setup you'll get 300 watts out of the 600 watt head. But you can always add another cab when funds permit. It's right at the top of your budget though.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='789941' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:06 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-Mag-600-Bass-Amp-and-Cab_W0QQitemZ110510697674QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19baf36cca#ht_500wt_947"]This[/url] Ashdown is on eBay at the moment. With this setup you'll get 300 watts out of the 600 watt head. But you can always add another cab when funds permit. It's right at the top of your budget though.[/quote]
Nice! No way I'd be able to collect that though sadly.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='789941' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:06 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ashdown-Mag-600-Bass-Amp-and-Cab_W0QQitemZ110510697674QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item19baf36cca#ht_500wt_947"]This[/url] Ashdown is on eBay at the moment. With this setup you'll get 300 watts out of the 600 watt head. But you can always add another cab when funds permit. It's right at the top of your budget though.[/quote]

Those MAG cabs go quite cheaply on ebay too...

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='789894' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:40 PM']So what you're saying is... if I had a 4ohm amp, and a 4ohm cab, then I'd get the full power.. but if I had an 8ohm amp and a 4 ohm cab I'd only have half, so would have to get another cab to get the full power out of it? And having a 4 ohm amp with an 8 ohm cab would be pointless? lol

clueless aren't I :)

edit: and also having a crap cab at any ohms would be pointless too? lol[/quote]

I dont think you have quite got it, and some of the other explanations are not not very clear.

If you are using a solid state amp, the power delivered by the amp is dependant on the impedance of the speaker cab you are using.

published specs for the eden traveller will develop 500 watts into a 4 ohm load and 300 into an 8 ohm load.

If you have one 8 ohm cab the amp will deliver 300watts, ie not full power, if paired with one 4 ohm cabinet it will deliver the full 500 watts.

However in the real world I dont think it makes much of an audible difference, for lots of technical reasons that alex or bill could explain.

I have twice used the same amp [seperately] with 4 ohm and 8 cabinets, in a gig situation, just by swapping the speaker cable and found no significant difference in volume.

The normal way to increase your volume is not to use a single 4 ohm cabinet in preference to an 8 ohm cabinet but to use two cabinets so you are using more speakers.

Two 8 ohm speakers plugged into the amp gives the amp a total impedance of 4 ohms allowing the amp to develop full power into more speakers.

Most amps [but not all] dont like two 4 ohm speakers.

Therefore if you buy an amp with a 4 ohm cab, it doesnt really give you much more volume, and it prevents you adding a second cab when you play the albert hall.

theres lots of maths in there but i tried to keep it simple

Does that help or make itworse?

[quote name='bumnote' post='789977' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:28 PM']I dont think you have quite got it, and some of the other explanations are not not very clear.

If you are using a solid state amp, the power delivered by the amp is dependant on the impedance of the speaker cab you are using.

published specs for the eden traveller will develop 500 watts into a 4 ohm load and 300 into an 8 ohm load.

If you have one 8 ohm cab the amp will deliver 300watts, ie not full power, if paired with one 4 ohm cabinet it will deliver the full 500 watts.

However in the real world I dont think it makes much of an audible difference, for lots of technical reasons that alex or bill could explain.

I have twice used the same amp [seperately] with 4 ohm and 8 cabinets, in a gig situation, just by swapping the speaker cable and found no significant difference in volume.

The normal way to increase your volume is not to use a single 4 ohm cabinet in preference to an 8 ohm cabinet but to use two cabinets so you are using more speakers.

Two 8 ohm speakers plugged into the amp gives the amp a total impedance of 4 ohms allowing the amp to develop full power into more speakers.

Therefore if you buy an amp with a 4 ohm cab, it doesnt really give you much more volume, and it prevents you adding a second cab when you play the albert hall.

Does that help or make itworse?[/quote]
I think I see what you mean yea. It's all very confusing though, especially when you've not had to deal with it all before.. :)

[quote name='bumnote' post='789977' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:28 PM']I dont think you have quite got it, and some of the other explanations are not not very clear.

Does that help or make itworse?[/quote]
Does anybody make 4 ohm cabs nowdays? I only ever seem to see 8 ohm cabs for sale.

Wow.....this tread's grown quickly.

First off,I bought a Behringer Ultrabass Combo in a hurry a few years ago after my then
combo broke. I used it for a couple of years and never had any problems with it. It didn't
have the greatest sound in the world,but it didn't truly suck either.It did a good job.
However,a student of mine bought the head and cab and it sucked royally,and the cab broke
up after not too long.

What I'd do if I were you is drive up the road to Stoke,go see Pete at the Academy of Sound
and check out out the Harke and Ashdown stuff.
I'd be way more inclined to go for the Hartke gear over the Ashdown to be honest.

[quote name='Doddy' post='790011' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:55 PM']Wow.....this tread's grown quickly.

First off,I bought a Behringer Ultrabass Combo in a hurry a few years ago after my then
combo broke. I used it for a couple of years and never had any problems with it. It didn't
have the greatest sound in the world,but it didn't truly suck either.It did a good job.
However,a student of mine bought the head and cab and it sucked royally,and the cab broke
up after not too long.

What I'd do if I were you is drive up the road to Stoke,go see Pete at the Academy of Sound
and check out out the Harke and Ashdown stuff.
I'd be way more inclined to go for the Hartke gear over the Ashdown to be honest.[/quote]
I am planning too once I've got some kiddy/work free time.. my girls would destroy the shop :)