Why become a member? ×

What are the narrowest neck 5 and 6 string basses?

fretmeister

What are the narrowest neck 5 and 6 string basses?

I've had a few 5s and a few 6s in my time and although I've loved having the range my fretting hand always cramps up quickly on wide necks (A warwick purchase was particularly stupid) - so what are the options?

I'm not that bothered about the depth of the neck - just that the nut string spacing is nice and narrow.

ta

[quote name='fretmeister' post='784433' date='Mar 24 2010, 10:21 AM']What are the narrowest neck 5 and 6 string basses?

I've had a few 5s and a few 6s in my time and although I've loved having the range my fretting hand always cramps up quickly on wide necks (A warwick purchase was particularly stupid) - so what are the options?

I'm not that bothered about the depth of the neck - just that the nut string spacing is nice and narrow.

ta[/quote]

Necks on Ibanez sr series basses are pretty skinny.

Some data I prepared earlier:

Aria Pro II RSB Deluxe-5 (1984)

Width at Nut: 45.8mm
Width at 1st Fret: 47.2mm
Width at 12th Fret: 59.3mm

Depth at 1st Fret: 23.4mm
Depth at 12th Fret: 24.8mm

String Spacing 1st Fret: 40.2mm (avg = 8.04mm)
String Spacing 12th Fret: 50mm (avg = 10.0mm)
String Spacing Bridge: 60.8mm (avg = 12.2mm)

Status have been known to produce tight spaced fives in the past. 15mm spacing I believe. Don't know if they still do.

As well as the Ibanez SR series the Yamaha John Myung 6 signature was tight spaced too.

Yamaha B5000. Weren't they just 4 string necks with 5 strings on them?

You could also mod an existing bass to 5 strings. i did it with a Rick copy by buying a Kahler fully adjustable bridge, GB7 tuners and making sure that the pickup was a soapbar.

Alternatively if you could find a 5 string Rick, I think that they used 4 string necks for their 5 stringers

[quote name='Bigwan' post='784514' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:18 AM']Status have been known to produce tight spaced fives in the past. 15mm spacing I believe. Don't know if they still do.

As well as the Ibanez SR series the Yamaha John Myung 6 signature was tight spaced too.[/quote]

The Mark King spacing is available on headless Statii - but I can't afford a new bass at the mo!

I had not considered the Myung yammie - thanks!

For 6 string basses, look for ones with a 16mm or 16.5mm string spacing. That will give you a skinny neck feel. Status *will* do that spacing - as I'd asked Rob about an S2 headless, before I'd gotten my Shuker, which incidently is also 16mm. A nice skinny neck, that is ULTRA fast. It's like playing an shred guitar - but.. better!

Some Spector basses and Tobias basses have a 16mm spacing which makes them feel skinny too. I was gonna say Ibanez SR/ Soundgear basses too, but I see that has been covered!

Ah! Just thought of another! My Bill Dickens Signature Conklin 7 string was a 16mm too! - So no doubt other models will be available in that spacing as well.

ok, that's about it for now.

[quote name='fretmeister' post='784519' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:20 AM']The Mark King spacing is available on headless Statii - but I can't afford a new bass at the mo!

I had not considered the Myung yammie - thanks![/quote]

The Myung is a 17mm as far as I know.. I hadn't spotted your post about the Headless Statii.. Could have saved me typing! he he!