Why become a member? ×

New amp day.. TC RH450 in the house...

wateroftyne

I'm sure I read earlier that some where worried about it shaking off the cab unto the floor.

The guys at talkbass have the most enormous threading this head and cover everything, and theuly say that the feet coupled with a cab with a rough tolex, or carpet and it'll stay still.

They also have a few tips and tricks.

I love my RH450 and would definitely recommend spending some time with the manual and tinkering with the EQ as (I think) a couple of the controls are shelving and therefore affect all frequencies below (Low) and above (High) the selected frequency point. I wasn't too familiar with this set up from previous amps I've owned but it's a really intuitive and sensible approach imho.

In the past fortnight I've used my RH450 and 1 RS210 in rehearsal with both my bands. To my ears, it sounds even better in a band context than it does 'at home'. It sat nicely in the overall sound of both bands, being clear and distinct without my volume being overpowering. Had to do a couple of quick EQ tweaks, but the controls are so versatile yet easy to use that it literally took seconds to get the right settings.

Still really impressed...

[quote name='jonsmith' post='786899' date='Mar 26 2010, 01:18 PM']In the past fortnight I've used my RH450 and 1 RS210 in rehearsal with both my bands. To my ears, it sounds even better in a band context than it does 'at home'. It sat nicely in the overall sound of both bands, being clear and distinct without my volume being overpowering. Had to do a couple of quick EQ tweaks, but the controls are so versatile yet easy to use that it literally took seconds to get the right settings.

Still really impressed...[/quote]

Have you used it with your Wal. Now Wal are back in business I'm seriously thinking about ordering one as a birthday present to myself in another year or two. I'd love to know how it works with the Rebelhead. (Apologies for the slight hijack btw.)

[quote name='Bass Culture' post='786906' date='Mar 26 2010, 01:27 PM']Have you used it with your Wal. Now Wal are back in business I'm seriously thinking about ordering one as a birthday present to myself in another year or two. I'd love to know how it works with the Rebelhead. (Apologies for the slight hijack btw.)[/quote]

I've only used it with the Wal at home. The distinctive Wal tone seemed to come through clearly, but I've still to try it in a band situation. I'll report back when I have.

Congrats on a great purchase, I've been round the houses with amps and cabs since getting back in playing, but am now happy with my RH450, my eyes and ears haven't strayed at all since it turned up

Now I want one of those 71 fenders in the above post

[quote name='molan' post='789031' date='Mar 28 2010, 11:47 PM']How was it on the gig then WoT?[/quote]
Hello!

It was [i]almost[/i] perfect.. I didn't get much time to tinker (super-fast soundcheck), but after dialling in an EQ wot I read on teh internet that I thought might work, it was bloody good. Fat and clear! The amp didn't even get warm, even though I didn't have PA support.

Where I was standing the low notes up to the A on the E string seemed a bit on the quiet side, but after talking to a few people I'm confident it's not an inherent characteristic of the amp - it was possibly EQ, the room, my bass, or some other factor.

I don't have any more gigs until next weekend, so I'll have to sit on my hands a while.

*drums fingers*

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='789099' date='Mar 29 2010, 07:47 AM']Where I was standing the low notes up to the A on the E string seemed a bit on the quiet side, but after talking to a few people I'm confident it's not an inherent characteristic of the amp - it was possibly EQ, the room, my bass, or some other factor.[/quote]

But surely if nothing else in your set-up has changed...? Same cabs, cables, basses...

Just thinking out loud here! :)

[quote name='Conan' post='789103' date='Mar 29 2010, 07:56 AM']But surely if nothing else in your set-up has changed...? Same cabs, cables, basses...

Just thinking out loud here! :)[/quote]
Absolutely! Given that, the likely culprit is the room - I've never played there before and it was a bit odd, with deep beams across the low ceiling.

I think there was a bumpy wolf note around the B, making the others feel a little queter. Unfortunately, in this band, most of the songs are in or around B, so there was no escape..

I've heard a recording from a room mic, and the notes are all even (with a lovely tone, too) - none of the band noticed either, so I'm sure it's where I was standing.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='789105' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:07 AM']I think there was a bumpy wolf note around the B, making the others feel a little queter. Unfortunately, in this band, most of the songs are in or around B, so there was no escape..[/quote]

Ah. The fickle hand of fate, my friend!! :rolleyes:

Good point about the room though - there are some rooms where you just [b]can't[/b] get a decent sound no matter what you use :)

So WoT, based on your experience so far, will this amp do a passably good tube-y rock sound, ie, can it replicate reasonably well the sounds of your Walkabout?

Reason I ask is I am still mulling getting a gig-bag sized second amp and am thinking about the RH450, the new SWR Headlite, the MB Little Mark Rocker, and - for the hell of it (its no smaller than my Walkabout head) - the Orange Bass Terror.

Ta

[quote name='Clarky' post='789123' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:30 AM']So WoT, based on your experience so far, will this amp do a passably good tube-y rock sound, ie, can it replicate reasonably well the sounds of your Walkabout?

Reason I ask is I am still mulling getting a gig-bag sized second amp and am thinking about the RH450, the new SWR Headlite, the MB Little Mark Rocker, and - for the hell of it (its no smaller than my Walkabout head) - the Orange Bass Terror.

Ta[/quote]

Might be worth considering the Classic450 too, it's the RH450's less intelligent/less pretty/less popular/less expensive sister! but AFAIK it's the same amp behind the scenes.

Edited by allighatt0r

[quote name='Clarky' post='789123' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:30 AM']So WoT, based on your experience so far, will this amp do a passably good tube-y rock sound, ie, can it replicate reasonably well the sounds of your Walkabout?

Ta[/quote]
Oh, hell aye.

The Walkabout is unique with those big, pillowy notes (which is why I'll never sell mine) but so far I'd say the TC is also warm and fat, but quicker and clearer. That said, I haven't ventured into the realms of the TubeTone yet. I think I'll probably only need it it fatten things up a very low volume, or when recording.

There's certainly nothing processed-sounding about it...

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='789135' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:45 AM']Oh, hell aye.

The Walkabout is unique with those big, pillowy notes (which is why I'll never sell mine) but so far I'd say the TC is also warm and fat, but quicker and clearer. That said, I haven't ventured into the realms of the TubeTone yet. I think I'll probably only need it it fatten things up a very low volume, or when recording.

There's certainly nothing processed-sounding about it...[/quote]

I completely agree. I expected a more processed sound but it was the opposite. After trying the Shuttle 9.0 before hand, this amp was exactly what I was after. Mine has an issue with the power socket in the back which is causing other problems (the cord just almost falls out which is a bit worrying) but TC is has been very good with the warranty and they are sending a new unit.

Other than that, which I presume is just my bad luck, the amp is spot on. I cant really use mine until the new one arrives so Im without it for a bit, but this has just proved to me that TC are one of those companies its safe to buy from and be looked after.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='789105' date='Mar 29 2010, 08:07 AM']Absolutely! Given that, the likely culprit is the room - I've never played there before and it was a bit odd, with deep beams across the low ceiling.

I think there was a bumpy wolf note around the B, making the others feel a little queter. Unfortunately, in this band, most of the songs are in or around B, so there was no escape..

I've heard a recording from a room mic, and the notes are all even (with a lovely tone, too) - none of the band noticed either, so I'm sure it's where I was standing.[/quote]

I hate that, when your nervy about going to one or two notes because the bark at you in the room or on the stage. My barefaced has eliminated that somewhat but im still gassing for a gramma pad...

Used the RH450 at a rehearsal tonight with a single HS210.

Normally I'd take the Scout, but went with this to put my mind at rest after Saturday night's sonic oddity.

HOLY SMOKE! It was great. Best rehearsal tone I've ever had. Fat, even, punchy.. all the usual cliches... and best of all, lots of punch on the low E below the 5th.

The EQ was pretty much default, with a slight nudge on the low and a couple of clicks rolled of the high-mids.

Can't wait for the next gig to consolodate all this. Thankfully I don't have to wait long!

I've pulled the trigger on one of these as well - should arrive in time for a gig next week :)

Loving the tone on the rehearsal too - I never use flats and have always favoured a very bright tone but I'm definitely mellowing these days.

Thinks to self - you have two sets of flats stored away, get them back out & try them on something :rolleyes:

Edited by molan

[quote name='molan' post='794754' date='Apr 3 2010, 12:09 AM']I've pulled the trigger on one of these as well - should arrive in time for a gig next week :)

Loving the tone on the rehearsal too - I never use flats and have always favoured a very bright tone but I'm definitely mellowing these days.

Thinks to self - you have two sets of flats stored away, get them back out & try them on something :rolleyes:[/quote]

Sounds good! I am the same...I find my tone goals are mellowing.