Why become a member? ×

double bass stand

Stu-khag

Hey guys Ive finally brought my new bass home but as space is a bit of an issue and dont fancy my clumsy girlfriend putting her foot through it I need a stand for it.
Can anyone reccomend one? I dont want to spend too much but then again I dont want a cheap and nasty one either so any advice is much appreciated!
cheers

stu

[quote name='slobluesine' post='777261' date='Mar 17 2010, 12:36 PM']i use this one...

[url="http://www.normans.co.uk/p-439-stentor-1562-cellodouble-bass-stand.aspx?CAWELAID=98315418"]http://www.normans.co.uk/p-439-stentor-156...WELAID=98315418[/url]

even on gigs, no accidents yet :)[/quote]
That's the one I've got, and I'm happy with it. (Though it's not exactly 'compact' for gigs ... goes with the territory, I guess)

Andy

guitar wall hanger, cheap as chips and takes up a lot less space than any stand. Simply rest the shoulder of the bass on the wall and drill in the hanger so it holds the bass just below the peg box. I have a small bit of foam stuck to the wall where the bass touches too. I've got two basses like this and it saves a hell of a lot of space. Or as you've just got one, rest it in a corner, bridge inwards. Way more stable than a stand and costs nothing.

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='777096' date='Mar 17 2010, 10:23 AM']Hey guys Ive finally brought my new bass home but as space is a bit of an issue and dont fancy my clumsy girlfriend putting her foot through it I need a stand for it.
Can anyone reccomend one? I dont want to spend too much but then again I dont want a cheap and nasty one either so any advice is much appreciated!
cheers

stu[/quote]

Would I be correct in assuming she doesn't look on here. :)
Anyway I thought she'd been promoted from girlfriend?
Glad you got your bass anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Stu-khag' post='777096' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:23 AM']Hey guys Ive finally brought my new bass home but as space is a bit of an issue and dont fancy my clumsy girlfriend putting her foot through it I need a stand for it.
cheers

stu[/quote]

Just do what I do for both my basses:
1) Remove drawer from handy chest of drawers or similar (if this belongs to girlfriend please use caution)
2) Place drawer (once emptied) on floor.
3) Place bass onto drawer - it should sit firmly.
(Of course, you do need the rightish size drawer)
:)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='grahambrown1986' post='813591' date='Apr 21 2010, 11:27 AM']Bassace: that looks amazing. Is it stable?[/quote]

Stable-ish. I copied the idea from a DB dealer who had lots of basses all over his house. There are no 'tiny feet' round the house so it's OK. Wouldn't use that design on a gig tho' even for one bass.

thanks for the suggestions.
I do quite like Grambo's idea and thanks for sharing the picture Bassace! I think I'm going to go for the stenton stand for now as the risk of getting the bass knocked are quite high (its already been kicked half a dozen times!)

[quote name='bassace' post='803487' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:40 AM']I knocked this up from a few lengths of wood at home. It seems to work very well.

[attachment=47071:2010_041...rman0032.JPG][/quote]

Different colours for different outfits. Nice.

[quote name='owen' post='820041' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:13 PM']Different colours for different outfits. Nice.[/quote]

No, I don't do brown or beige - or orange. They just came that way! The blond is a bit different, specially as I don't do rockabilly. Actually, may I go on? One of the first basses I saw was a blond and was played live on TV, Buddy Holly and the Crickets on the Sunday Palladium show. That was something.

[quote name='bassace' post='820425' date='Apr 27 2010, 11:17 AM']One of the first basses I saw was a blond and was played live on TV, Buddy Holly and the Crickets on the Sunday Palladium show. That was something.[/quote]

Formative moments - unbeatable.

Mine came when watching Oscar Peterson and my dad saying that they were all just making it up on the spot. Little did he know about the changes :) My 'cello teacher booted me out and my next teacher offered me a double bass instead. Much more fun.

• 2 years later...

I use a K&M stand

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_141_mkii.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/km_141_mkii.htm[/url]

Not cheap at £70 but it's extremely rugged and folds up suprisingly small. The inmages on Thomann's website make it look a bit spindly but I can assure you that it's a proper hefty beast.

I use the Hercules stand and like it a lot. It runs the risk that if someone/something knocks the back of the bass it could fall forwards. However unless you have tearaway kids or a pet llama this is pretty unlikely. It has teh major advantage that its more stylish looking than many stands so it has the (all important) Mrs C seal of approval too :rolleyes:

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1348776918' post='1818165']
Thanks guys, I'm new to the double bass, so all tips are very welcome !
[/quote]

Sell it and buy a banjo, much easier to store :D
I've got the Stentor and I would describe it as adequate, took a while to get it set just how I want it but it does the job.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1348820851' post='1818623']
I've always used corners or the floor. Having the bass free standing always makes me nervous, especially on gigs around clumsy non-DB players :)
[/quote]

I'm also nervous about free standing DB's, ergo my quest for advice from seasoned DB players. I'm just a bit concerned there won't always be a handy corner. The other worry is the potential for someone to put their foot through a DB lying on it's side as they walk around watching the girls go by ;)

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1348831674' post='1818800']
I'm also nervous about free standing DB's, ergo my quest for advice from seasoned DB players. I'm just a bit concerned there won't always be a handy corner. The other worry is the potential for someone to put their foot through a DB lying on it's side as they walk around watching the girls go by ;)
[/quote]

I did have my bass knocked off it's stand once, but that was by a pissed up punter who thought it was his divine right to get on stage to have his picture taken with my bass. Never had a problem (touch wood) when I've laid the bass on it's side on the stage but I flinch every time someone steps over it - particularly if they're carrying a monitor or unravelling a cable. I always feel better if it's on a stand.