Why become a member? ×

Forgotten/overlooked players?

The Admiral

I've been running around the country like a loon again recently - (part of the job unfortunately) - and have been delighted by my decision to pay a bit myself, and have 2 things fitted in my new company car. 1. DAB radio, and 2. a USB for the iPod. I have found so much stuff that I either hadn't listened to for years - both on radio and the iPod (13,000 tracks on the 'shuffle all' setting - what a great idea!). I also realised how many great players there are that go - if not unrecognsied - then certainly, frequently overlooked. One such came to mind when listening to a lot of the old Whitesnake albums from the early 80s, before the legwarmers and 'pretty' guitarists took over in 1987 : Neil Murray - what a fantastic and inventive player, who really drove the band along.

Anyone else got a contender?

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='772371' date='Mar 12 2010, 06:52 AM']I've mentioned this guy before, John Nelson from the otherwise deeply unfashionable New Model Army (go and have a listen, really).[/quote]
Is that the guy who was nicknamed "Moose"?
if so ....Amen to that!!
(eerr...I mean +1)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='772405' date='Mar 12 2010, 08:18 AM']Is that the guy who was nicknamed "Moose"?
if so ....Amen to that!!
(eerr...I mean +1)[/quote]

Ahhh.... I'm talking cobblers and/or trying to post before I've had enough coffee. I meant "Nelson" (real name Peter Nice I think, although it's a bit mysterious) who replaced Moose Harris. Moose played on the "classic" early albums and also deserves a mention.

[quote name='The Admiral' post='771855' date='Mar 11 2010, 05:24 PM']Neil Murray - what a fantastic and inventive player, who really drove the band along.

Anyone else got a contender?[/quote]

Murray had a lot more to offer than we saw with Whitesnake and Vow Wow. He was, at one time, the bass player in National Health, a UK jazz-rock band that also contained, at one time, Dave Stewart and Bill Bruford before they formed Bruford, the band that introduced Jeff Berlin to the world. Murray also played on Colloseum II's marvellous 'Strange New Flesh'. Obviously and understandably attracted to the bright lights and relatively financial security (?) of the rock market, he has a rep that is based on a very limted perspective on his abilities. A highly rated player who was, neverthelss, underated!

Bootsy Collins? :)

I want to say Andy Rourke of The Smiths, although his basslines are fantastic and I love his work pub-banter or otherwise always turns into a "How good Morrisey and Marr are" conversation, overlooking Rourke

Please don't slate me!

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='772520' date='Mar 12 2010, 10:16 AM']Nice to see someone else big up New Model Army - all 3 of their bass players seeem to be ignored[/quote]

+ 1 for NMA bass players (all three of em). Each very different. Each brilliant.
It always seemed a shame that Stu Morrow never really re-emerged to the limelight, following his NMA departure in 85. I've heard that Moose is now a paramedic. Good to see NMA thriving without any corporate support - and are currently better than ever!