Why become a member? ×

Markbass clarity vs TC RH450 colour?

alhbass

[quote name='alanbass1' post='770181' date='Mar 10 2010, 11:18 AM']You can see from my signature that I'm a big Markbass fan, having two heads and a combo. I actually find my F500 a little too clean and prefer the warmth added by the tube compressor in my TA501, which is my favourite MB head. I also recently purchased a RH450 head. I got the RH450 as I wanted to get a little more 'grind' to my sound which I used to get when I was running a P Bass trhough an SVT in the 70's/80's. The RH450 gives me that and works especially well with passive basses. I'm getting to grips with tuning in my active basses as well, but I will still keep hold of my Markbass gear as it is really nice and I'm in the fortunate position of not needing to sell it. The trump card for me is that I can swtich between clean and grind, the compressor really is excellent and having a built in switcheable tune is also great.[/quote]

I have to agree, and luckily for me I am fortunate enough to be able to have three amps....the Markbass amp is staying without a doubt.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='770112' date='Mar 10 2010, 09:50 AM']+1[/quote]

+2 - I went to see Mark twice to play and choose my gear, and tried pretty much all amp/cab combinations he had at the time.

For me the MB F1 ticked all the right boxes - very small and light and a big 'free' sound coupled with a pair of 12" bergs.

Can't recommend Bass Direct enough, loads of superb gear, pretty good pricing and great advice from Mark.

Cheers

Martin

[quote name='51m0n' post='769934' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:50 PM']+1 for a trip to bassdirect, Marks a gent, he will however let you fall in love with hidously expensive gear by letting you play it for as long as it takes, offering very occasional pearls of wisdom - clever git!

You have been warned....[/quote]Plus lots :)

I went in for something completely different amp wise and walked out with a LM3

oh, and a berg stack :rolleyes:

[quote name='sk8' post='770337' date='Mar 10 2010, 01:15 PM']Plus lots :)

I went in for something completely different amp wise and walked out with a LM3

oh, and a berg stack :lol:[/quote]

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA I rest my case :rolleyes:

I bet its exactly what you wanted and needed, you just didnt know that when you walked through the door

[quote name='51m0n' post='770511' date='Mar 10 2010, 03:24 PM']BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA I rest my case :rolleyes:

I bet its exactly what you wanted and needed, you just didnt know that when you walked through the door[/quote]
um yes :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='769934' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:50 PM']+1 for a trip to bassdirect, Marks a gent, he will however let you fall in love with hidously expensive gear by letting you play it for as long as it takes, offering very occasional pearls of wisdom - clever git!

You have been warned....[/quote]

Thanks for the warning!

Having sold my F1 recently - I can't help having a little niggling feeling over MB's new cabinets released in to the range.. a new 8x10 I see.. I reckon an F1 on the top of that would look hilarious - but I know it would sound like a beast!

[quote name='dood' post='773228' date='Mar 12 2010, 10:22 PM']Having sold my F1 recently - I can't help having a little niggling feeling over MB's new cabinets released in to the range.. a new 8x10 I see.. I reckon an F1 on the top of that would look hilarious - but I know it would sound like a beast![/quote]

Two ends of the spectrum for sure

[quote name='gillento' post='780454' date='Mar 20 2010, 07:35 AM']I decided to part with mine after a brief stunt (2 gigs, 1 rehearsal) as I prefer the cleaner sound of my MarkBass SA450 to the TC.
As for tube sounds I am still using my big, heavy all tube SA200 :)[/quote]

That was quick. I have to say it takes a little of work to get the best from the TC 450. I really like my MB's but I'm really warming to the TC head and I couldn't face up to the weight of a decent valve head anymore.

• 5 weeks later...

Well now...

Just come home from my first go on a RebelHead450. Hmm. Not immediately blown away, I must say.

I didn't know the opportunity was going to arise, so unfortunately didn't have my own bass with me. But I borrowed something roughly comparable (a new Fender Jap Jazz).

It was kinda as I'd imagined, but without the sprinkling of fairy dust that might have turned the experience into an epiphany. I was hearing it thro an RS212 cab, and at quite close quarters, so that may not have helped - but though the warm, "vintage" sounds were quite attractive, I thought the "clean" sound very muddy and indistinct. Definitely prefer my LMK for now, as it's so wonderfully crystal clear when I need it to be, and I can get the vintage tones with a combination of the VLE filter and a SansAmp BDDI as required.

Still interested to hear an RH450 in a gig situation tho, so I'd be very interested to hear from any BC members in the North Yorkshire area who might be gigging with one soon...

I've been following the TC 450 threads for sometime and just bought an RS210, being a F1 user i like a no frills aproach to sound, plug and play as I describe it. I find the the TC head lends itself to lots of tweaking and setting up and that for me alone is reason enough not to by it, I want to spend time playing music not turning knobs left and right.

my two cents.

Does the preset memory recall everything? I mean including the compression settings?

I'm looking at the TC as an alternative to a 2-channel amp for using with electric and upright and wouldn't want compression on the upright.

Has anyone got experience of using the RH 450 with an upright? Does it colour much?

Edited by fatback

[quote name='fatback' post='811601' date='Apr 19 2010, 05:51 PM']Does the preset memory recall everything? I mean including the compression settings?[/quote]
Everything but the input gain and the master volume...

I love the RH450 so, so much. I'm not sure I would if I was a fan of zing and sizzle, though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='811603' date='Apr 19 2010, 06:53 PM']Everything but the input gain and the master volume...

I love the RH450 so, so much. I'm not sure I would if I was a fan of zing and sizzle, though.[/quote]

Input gain saved and recalled!

Ive owned and gigged both

My scientific answer is the RH450 is my ultimate amp, I use it for rock band, 80s pop band and church

The markbass is a great bit of kit, but the tubetone/presets and tuner win it for me, and paired with my RS212 wow