Why become a member? ×

what the hell...

mgibson

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='767397' date='Mar 7 2010, 10:25 PM']just trying to work out why they both felt the need to use twin-necked instruments[/quote]

The Sheehan twin neck is pointless its tone is only slightly different to normal attitudes ( more wood + rosewood fret board) one neck is BEAD the other EADG Billy is playing the E-G neck, the Paul Gilbert twin neck has 3 strings on one neck all tunes to different octaves of E the other is normal,

its not even constructed whole, its two normal RG ibanez guitars cut and stuck together

And genuinely, seriously can someone explain to me why they don't like this????

I LOVE this, i genuinely adore this, Billy's tone here is great it links in with Pauls tone and together in unison they sound amazing,

though one to their own right?

I listened to this on repeat on the bus home today:)

Actually after reading more posts why is there so much hate towards the performance, mr big and Billy sheehan?

like please explain:

"I often find the "You're just jealous" riposte a bit simple, but in this case it's hilarious. That performance is literally one of the shittest things I've ever seen."

And whats wrong with Daddy,Brother,Lover,Little boy? it started out as joke between Geddy lee and Paul Gilbert when Mr. Big opened for Rush (yes it has no relevance and i'm pretty much saying everything i know in "defence" haha)

I know i'm coming of all edgy but after seeing the show in Budokan my bass playing changed, i changed as a musician
and Mr. Big has always been in my life as one of my bigger influences musically

So I apologise for coming of like a pretentious twat but still? (or even being one but still)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='772162' date='Mar 11 2010, 09:47 PM']like please explain:

"I often find the "You're just jealous" riposte a bit simple, but in this case it's hilarious. That performance is literally one of the shittest things I've ever seen."[/quote]

It's difficult for me to put into words why it's so bad. I just don't have enough time. Visually you've got two men playing doubleneck guitars, one of them keeps pointing at the other for some reason. Then you've got the bit where the other two dudes come out and start fretting bass notes. It's just... why?

Musically it's cheesy too - it's like something you might hear at the end of a Rocky movie, while the press are taking their snaps and he's holding a belt in the air. If that scene was dragged out way too long and the composer died before he'd finished scoring it.

I love Paul Gilbert. He's got a sense of humour, and most of his work is really melodically interesting. That twin neck thing was a bit gash, but this rocks:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g[/url]

Edited by Wil

I haven't had the balls to watch this yet, as I just know Billy will make me feel inadequate.
When I do summon up the courage, I know I will learn from it.
I have just joined an established covers band and had to learn Daddy (thank God for the Songsterr site). That's enough for the moment!
My fingers hurt.

They're very good at what they do, but...... and here's the problem for me..... ask ten random people in the street who Mr. Big are and I bet you not one will ever have heard of them. I hadn't until recently and I still couldn't name a single or album by them. A muso's band - for better or worse.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='773185' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:33 PM']He's taking the p*ss, surely. It's all those guys applauding that worry me. I know he's better than this.... a lot better.[/quote]

Errrrrm, I think you might have missed the joke here. Perhaps this will help explain:

Edited by jonsmith

I thought it was ok - obviously not as much as my fellow Aberdonian above (:rolleyes:) as now I've heard it I can let it go.
They looked like they were having fun. Why knock it? It is what it is - 2 guys with a talent for the widdely-widdely playing to a happy audience that paid to see them do that kind of stuff. As for why the both had twin necked guitars but only played one in this 4 minute video - well, taken out of context it seems absurd but do we know that they didn't use them during the rest of the performance?
If anything's "up it's own arse" it's this thread for ripping into a piece of music TalkBass style for not being perfect or normal or not being verse chorus verse chorus so you can dance to it. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='773320' date='Mar 12 2010, 08:16 PM']I thought it was ok - obviously not as much as my fellow Aberdonian above (:rolleyes:) as now I've heard it I can let it go.
They looked like they were having fun. Why knock it? It is what it is - 2 guys with a talent for the widdely-widdely playing to a happy audience that paid to see them do that kind of stuff. As for why the both had twin necked guitars but only played one in this 4 minute video - well, [u][b]*taken out of context[/b][/u] it seems absurd but do we know that they didn't use them during the rest of the performance?
If anything's "up it's own arse" it's this thread for [u][b]**ripping into a piece of music TalkBass style[/b][/u] for not being perfect or normal or not being verse chorus verse chorus so you can dance to it. :)[/quote]

*Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

** :lol:

BTW. I wonder what Billy's detractors would think of him if he slapped?

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='767397' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:25 PM']just trying to work out why they both felt the need to use twin-necked instruments[/quote]

I think both their trousers are tight enough for the answer to be perfectly clear. :)

Seriously though, they should take themselves, Stu Hamm, and all the rest of the 'it's time to let go brigade' and go and live on an island somewhere.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='772162' date='Mar 11 2010, 10:47 PM']So I apologise for coming of like a pretentious twat but still? (or even being one but still)[/quote]

I don't think you came off like that at all, but as you said yourself, each to their own. thisnameistaken thinks it's utter gash, I couldn't agree more. But you like it, and so do a LOT of other people, that's fair enough. Don't worry about it.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='773182' date='Mar 12 2010, 09:30 PM']They're very good at what they do, but...... and here's the problem for me..... ask ten random people in the street who Mr. Big are and I bet you not one will ever have heard of them. I hadn't until recently and I still couldn't name a single or album by them. A muso's band - for better or worse.[/quote]
But a musos' band with a number on hit in America and many other countries (no 3 here)!

These 10 random people may not know who Mr Big are but a few will remember the tune to 'To Be With You' - the same 10 people will not know of any punk band from the last 30 years with the [b]possible [/b]exception of Green Day!

[quote name='MIJ-VI' post='767898' date='Mar 8 2010, 01:10 PM']Here's some guy playing cello on bass:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WMO0nJRWAM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WMO0nJRWAM[/url][/quote]
That to me sounds much more talented and good than the video in the OP.

[quote name='peteb' post='773635' date='Mar 13 2010, 02:53 PM']But a musos' band with a number on hit in America and many other countries (no 3 here)!

These 10 random people may not know who Mr Big are but a few will remember the tune to 'To Be With You' - the same 10 people will not know of any punk band from the last 30 years with the [b]possible [/b]exception of Green Day![/quote]

Agree! definitely flawed logic.

By applying the same logic you could also ask 100 people: do they know, Victor Wooten, Jaco, Reggie, Jack Bruce, Dennis Dunnaway etc...

This is what Billy and Paul enjoy doing in front of Japanese fans of whom love it so why knock it if its not for you? do as I do...don't post!

Two incredible musicians performing at a level most of us here will never achieve - its their thing let them enjoy it!

andy

[quote name='andy67' post='774163' date='Mar 14 2010, 10:53 AM']Agree! definitely flawed logic.

By applying the same logic you could also ask 100 people: do they know, Victor Wooten, Jaco, Reggie, Jack Bruce, Dennis Dunnaway etc...

This is what Billy and Paul enjoy doing in front of Japanese fans of whom love it so why knock it if its not for you? do as I do...don't post!

Two incredible musicians performing at a level most of us here will never achieve - its their thing let them enjoy it!

andy[/quote]

If that was aimed at me then please do me the courtesy of actually reading what I wote. I didn't knock the band, or even as much as say I didn't like the OP's clip (fwiw, I enjoyed listening to it - and I have heard much more unlistenable, self-indulgent bass playing).

If you want an example of flawed logic then I much prefer the "if you don't like it then don't post" line of thought. Without some lively discussion and (friendly) differences of opinion then these forums would be dull and, probably, have died out ages ago.

BTW... I can't imagine a more niche act than Victor Wooten. It doesn't make him a bad person (or bad musician), just that (admittedly guessing) 90-something percent of music listeners won't have hear of him or (mostly likely) like what he does when they do. Which was my assertion.

Apologies for offending anyone.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='774215' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:01 PM']If that was aimed at me then please do me the courtesy of actually reading what I wote. I didn't knock the band, or even as much as say I didn't like the OP's clip (fwiw, I enjoyed listening to it - and I have heard much more unlistenable, self-indulgent bass playing).

If you want an example of flawed logic then I much prefer the "if you don't like it then don't post" line of thought. Without some lively discussion and (friendly) differences of opinion then these forums would be dull and, probably, have died out ages ago.

BTW... I can't imagine a more niche act than Victor Wooten. It doesn't make him a bad person (or bad musician), just that (admittedly guessing) 90-something percent of music listeners won't have hear of him or (mostly likely) like what he does when they do. Which was my assertion.

Apologies for offending anyone.[/quote]
I think that you are arguing with Andy here when you are pretty much saying the same thing (thru if no one ever disagreed on a thread it would get a bit boring very quickly)!

If you go beyond the mainstream pop (not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that) or the latest X Factor karaoke act then pretty much everything is a niche act – the narrower the niche the less recognised the artist will be among the general public and the more devoted the aficionado are likely to be!

[quote name='peteb' post='774223' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:13 PM']I think that you are arguing with Andy here when you are pretty much saying the same thing (thru if no one ever disagreed on a thread it would get a bit boring very quickly)!

If you go beyond the mainstream pop (not that there is anything necessarily wrong with that) or the latest X Factor karaoke act then pretty much everything is a niche act – the narrower the niche the less recognised the artist will be among the general public and the more devoted the aficionado are likely to be![/quote]

I'm probably arguing with myself - there's probably a name for that mental disorder :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='774225' date='Mar 14 2010, 12:17 PM']I'm probably arguing with myself - there's probably a name for that mental disorder :)[/quote]

Yep! It's called being a weedgie! :rolleyes:

It wasn't aimed at you but I did think your logic was bit skew-if. I kinda find the whole thing strange when someone posts something and it's quickly followed by a trail of negative comments!

Oh well maybe that's why I'm from Embra!!

andy

ps, I'm not calling wooten a bad person or anything like that, I was jsut saying that it's because as bass players we all like niche players of whom very few will have ever heard of.

Edited by andy67