Why become a member? ×

powered cabs?

mr.sibs

the only ones i know of are the bergantino ip112 (one for sale in the forum) and fore sysems do one i think...
although inexpensive ins't the word i would use lol

ever thought about getting a class d power amp?

secondhand power amps are typically cheaper and louder than bass heads, so if you like the sound of your pre why not go that way? I did and am very happy with my new rig :)

Have a look at my review of my ISP Technologies 'active rig' in the ...err..reviews section. It's not really an easy 'pick up and go' system - it's more of the touring 'built like the proverbial out house' kit. But still, it's an activ cabinet solution that can be ran with any preamp - a Sansamp even!

I like the look of Berg' - I'd love to hear one. It's a shame that Mr B hasn't stuck his active unit in to more of his cabs - like a great big 4 x 12 1000 W monster!

thanks dood, looks very interesting, although you are right - bit bigger than I can manage for the moment!

JMT was looking at a powersoft amp, but the price!!!! I was hoping there would be a cheap solution, might just have to put the pre-amp into a combo, what a waste... :)

Markbass now have powered cabinets. VERY pricey, but the features seem amazing if I have read them correctly.

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=149"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...=2&vedi=149[/url]

They seem even more fun than the Berg IPs.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='767305' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:06 PM']Markbass now have powered cabinets. VERY pricey, but the features seem amazing if I have read them correctly.

[url="http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua=en&cat=2&vedi=149"]http://www.markbass.it/products.php?lingua...=2&vedi=149[/url]

They seem even more fun than the Berg IPs.[/quote]

That is definitely the ideal size and weight! now it is just getting around that price when I can find it

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='767317' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:15 PM']That is definitely the ideal size and weight! now it is just getting around that price when I can find it[/quote]

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=996&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

You can even tune it with your computer. Fabulous. If I was loaded I would have one.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='767361' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:40 PM']I really don't get why powered cabs are so much more expensive than combo amps. It doesn't make any kind of logical sense.[/quote]
I imagine it's because it's a relatively new thing, there's not much competition yet, so the price battles haven't begun! Also, all the active cabs out there are lightweight, which of course adds to cost when you have class d amps and neodynium going on

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='767361' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:40 PM']I really don't get why powered cabs are so much more expensive than combo amps. It doesn't make any kind of logical sense.[/quote]

that's what I thought, all I need is the simplest power amp with a smallish footprint, jammed into a cab

[quote name='Musicman20' post='767345' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:29 PM'][url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=996&category_id=2"]http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.ph...p;category_id=2[/url]

You can even tune it with your computer. Fabulous. If I was loaded I would have one.[/quote]

that price is disgraceful though...

[quote name='JMT3781' post='767393' date='Mar 7 2010, 10:22 PM']I imagine it's because it's a relatively new thing, there's not much competition yet, so the price battles haven't begun! [b]Also, all the active cabs out there are lightweight,[/b] which of course adds to cost when you have class d amps and neodynium going on[/quote]
No they're not- the Bergantino IPs and the ISPs are both heavy for their size.

I think they're expensive because they're being marketed as the next big breakthrough in bass amplification, despite powered PA cabs having been around for a while and being much cheaper.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='767460' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:53 PM']How about powered/active PA cabs? We use a set of RCF cabs for PA and they have got a great power to weight ratio; added to which if it was for use as a personal monitor then they can be kicked back like a wedge![/quote]

interesting idea - will the sound of a pa monitor be suitable as a bass cab? any idea the most suitable if such a thing exists??

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='767701' date='Mar 8 2010, 10:47 AM']interesting idea - will the sound of a pa monitor be suitable as a bass cab? any idea the most suitable if such a thing exists??[/quote]

Remember that many PA cabs/ monitors are designed for the bass drum to go through. If they can handle that, most things we do on bass should be OK. Anything with EV or JBL speakers in for example should be up to the task...

[quote name='yorick' post='767709' date='Mar 8 2010, 11:00 AM']Get a suitable combo, and bypass the preamp by using the fx loop.[/quote]

just the weight of most combo's, seems a bit of a waste to not use any of the pre-section
this is what I thought I would probably have to do though

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='767281' date='Mar 7 2010, 08:39 PM']thanks dood, looks very interesting, although you are right - bit bigger than I can manage for the moment!

JMT was looking at a powersoft amp, but the price!!!! I was hoping there would be a cheap solution, might just have to put the pre-amp into a combo, what a waste... :)[/quote]

Ahh Thanks! - Yup - It's a big beasty of a cabinet - Although it features a certain well known Neo LF speaker and some 8" counterparts, along with a light weight D-Class power amplifier - the cabinet it self is akin to a bank safe!

I've owned a Powersoft power amplifier myself - and - well.. they are AWESOME! - Pricey - but they deliver the goods by the truckload and sound pristine at teh same time.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='767305' date='Mar 7 2010, 09:06 PM']Markbass now have powered cabinets. VERY pricey, but the features seem amazing if I have read them correctly.

They seem even more fun than the Berg IPs.[/quote]

WOH!! Now I like the look of those! - Hmm - a stack of four so that all the cones stand vertically.. I bet that would be just lovely!

*wallet turns over, coughs and dies from shock*

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='767400' date='Mar 7 2010, 10:30 PM']that's what I thought, all I need is the simplest power amp with a smallish footprint, jammed into a cab[/quote]

I was just thinkin about Velvertkevorkian and he arrives!

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='767450' date='Mar 7 2010, 11:37 PM']No they're not- the Bergantino IPs and the ISPs are both heavy for their size.

I think they're expensive because they're being marketed as the next big breakthrough in bass amplification, despite powered PA cabs having been around for a while and being much cheaper.[/quote]

I was half expecting you to post an image of the ole BK Electronics amp module that you have!
@Mr Sibs It's basically an amp module that used to be available to buy, that - with a minor bit of tooling can slide in to the back of any bass cabinet and turn it in to an active cab!! They are awesome! - Sadly BK don't make them any more - but do a google - as I know there are defintely other comapnies that make 'panel D-Class amplifiers'. (Some are a bit cheap and crummy unfortunately)

[quote name='mr.sibs' post='767701' date='Mar 8 2010, 10:47 AM']interesting idea - will the sound of a pa monitor be suitable as a bass cab? any idea the most suitable if such a thing exists??[/quote]

Hmmm - debate time! - realistically - 90% of the 'single 15" in a plastic box' aren't really up for the job as decent backline - but do a passable job at monitoring Bass guitar fully. (read as 'lacking in REAL bottom end') as that's not what they are really designed to do. However, if you went for something for like the Mackie SA1530 (I think that's the model name) type units - I think they are a better design for small FOH - and thus a bit meatier for punchy low bottom end. - I'd done a fair bit of investigating whilst I was looking out for an active solution myself - and found that the costs climbed greatly above the 'active PA cab' style units - to a point of 'not worth doing'.

[quote name='Toasted' post='767790' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:13 PM']I love my IP112ER and EX112ER. They sound great. Not cheap or light tho.[/quote]

Again, a set of cabs I would love to hear - and would love to see Jim drop one of his active units in to his bigger cabs too!

[quote name='Toasted' post='767790' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:13 PM']I love my IP112ER and EX112ER. They sound great. Not cheap tho.[/quote]

That's an understatement! I've been looking at these out of interest and can't understand why they are so expensive. A wooden box, a single 12" speaker and a power amp. Where does the price come from? Don't these list at around fifteen hundred quid? :)

[quote name='Conan' post='767861' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:51 PM']That's an understatement! I've been looking at these out of interest and can't understand why they are so expensive. A wooden box, a single 12" speaker and a power amp. Where does the price come from? Don't these list at around fifteen hundred quid? :)[/quote]

The raw materials and cabinet design doesn't cost much at all - I've a suplier for D-Class amp modules, have a cabinet design and can source the speakers as well. As a one off - it still costs a huge amount cheaper than the list price of pretty much every 'active solution' available.

But then, I don't have an R&D team, a factory, offices, import costs, patents to pay for etc etc etc.. Having said that, if you looked at the trade prices Vs the retail prices of musical intrument products across the board, you'd probably have a heart attack.

[quote name='Conan' post='767861' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:51 PM']That's an understatement! I've been looking at these out of interest and can't understand why they are so expensive. A wooden box, a single 12" speaker and a power amp. Where does the price come from? Don't these list at around fifteen hundred quid? :)[/quote]

Yes. But then a Ferrari is just a bunch of bent metal, using technology invented in the late 1800s.

Edited by Toasted