Why become a member? ×

Quest for the most Versatile Bass ever!

Schnozzalee

I've just purchased the USA G&L L2500 lined fretless from sshorepunk and firmly believe it will be the most versatile bass I'll own and may be my only bass (however I'll still have the GAS for the Vigier/Stingray punch!). Common consensus is that G&L are highly underrated??

The fingerboard is hard ebony so I can slap, should I need to and use roundwounds. I'll be able to get jazz/precision and near stingray tones adding and taking away the fretless nasal mwah when not needed - my guild was a fretless but it was easy to wipe out the tone with the precision punch. Got the B string i've been nagging for finally so no mid gig drop tuning.

It looks bloody good, transparent green n black hardware n board!! But I've heard they're heavy so I'll probs name it the 'incredible bulk'. I was intent on having one bass because I haven't the money for any more at current. I've found the same versatility with my ESP PC-2V guitar. I just think this has been what I've been searching for, very grateful for TGevans' review which I recieved through pm - and he kindly offered to let me test his G&L out.

I thought I'd found this kind of versatility with the VL Lightwave I recieved from Happy Jack but I was worried about the optic pickups should they ever need servicing.

Needless to say I'm very excited!!! Anybody else found their holy grail bass of versatility??

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='763386' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:33 PM']I've just purchased the USA G&L L2500 lined fretless from sshorepunk and firmly believe it will be the most versatile bass I'll own and may be my only bass (however I'll still have the GAS for the Vigier/Stingray punch!). Common consensus is that G&L are highly underrated??

The fingerboard is hard ebony so I can slap, should I need to and use roundwounds. I'll be able to get jazz/precision and near stingray tones adding and taking away the fretless nasal mwah when not needed - my guild was a fretless but it was easy to wipe out the tone with the precision punch. Got the B string i've been nagging for finally so no mid gig drop tuning.

It looks bloody good, transparent green n black hardware n board!! But I've heard they're heavy so I'll probs name it the 'incredible bulk'. I was intent on having one bass because I haven't the money for any more at current. I've found the same versatility with my ESP PC-2V guitar. I just think this has been what I've been searching for, very grateful for TGevans' review which I recieved through pm - and he kindly offered to let me test his G&L out.

I thought I'd found this kind of versatility with the VL Lightwave I recieved from Happy Jack but I was worried about the optic pickups should they ever need servicing.

Needless to say I'm very excited!!! Anybody else found their holy grail bass of versatility??[/quote]

Fender Precision! Believe it or not. :)

Since adding the Roland Vbass system inside my Vigier, I really have the best of both worlds! Most of the time I bypass it and play clean, but I can switch in amazing Jazz bass, P bass, Stingray and more sounds, and even polyphonic synths. It rules. Couldn't be happier!

I have always liked the sound of G&L basses, definitely underrated and not too common either!

ped

Your not the only one to think that I'm sure!! Can you say what model? I was thinking about it the other day watching Pino Palladino's session work on youtube. Kept it in mind when buying the G&L... although the bravewood on the for sale thread was very tempting. I just didn't have the cash to hand.

These are awesome, really full sounding and with a character all of their own.

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=471&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

ped

[quote name='ped' post='763402' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:47 PM']Since adding the Roland Vbass system inside my Vigier, I really have the best of both worlds! Most of the time I bypass it and play clean, but I can switch in amazing Jazz bass, P bass, Stingray and more sounds, and even polyphonic synths. It rules. Couldn't be happier!

I have always liked the sound of G&L basses, definitely underrated and not too common either!

ped[/quote]

Tried Vmaxblues' old Arpege, the tone will stick in my head forever. Dunno if it was graphite or what but I got butterflies - real driving rock punch.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='763409' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:51 PM']Tried Vmaxblues' old Arpege, the tone will stick in my head forever. Dunno if it was graphite or what but I got butterflies - real driving rock punch.[/quote]

That was a pre-graphite one, with a brass laminate under the fingerboard, I think. Very cool bass. You can't beat 'em IMO! (well, I prefer the Passion model to the Arpege, but only a bit!)

[quote name='ped' post='763407' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:50 PM']These are awesome, really full sounding and with a character all of their own.

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=471&type=Bass%20Guitar"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...e=Bass%20Guitar[/url]

ped[/quote]

love the matching headstock, very glam rock. I think the 5 string sei's look pretty damn versatile too!

I like the one in your avatar, the steinberger/streamline/nobby meidl/v4 style small bodied basses with graphite neck sound superb. I can see myself playing one of them when I have the funds, although it would have to be five string though for cover song purposes. Anything unusual really catches my eye vigiers,kubickis,bongos (the big al is fantastic)etc just because they stand out lookswise, but I have real trouble selling them on. I guess thats another point towards fender - playable good in the mix and holds the (reasonable) price. I'm not sure passive models cut through enough for me though, I don't like being in the background. I think bass should be as loud as the guitar always...

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='763446' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:32 PM']I like the one in your avatar, the steinberger/streamline/nobby meidl/v4 style small bodied basses with graphite neck sound superb. I can see myself playing one of them when I have the funds, although it would have to be five string though for cover song purposes. Anything unusual really catches my eye vigiers,kubickis,bongos (the big al is fantastic)etc just because they stand out lookswise, but I have real trouble selling them on. I guess thats another point towards fender - playable good in the mix and holds the (reasonable) price. I'm not sure passive models cut through enough for me though, I don't like being in the background. I think bass should be as loud as the guitar always...[/quote]

The one in the avatar is the Streamline. It's a serious little bass, that one. My favourite 4-stringer. Serious punch and sounds like nothing else :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='763452' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:39 PM']The one in the avatar is the Streamline. It's a serious little bass, that one. My favourite 4-stringer. Serious punch and sounds like nothing else :)[/quote]

I'm sure I've asked you this before, so apologies for repeating myself, but...........

Would a streamline be suitable for reggae ?
I need a very deep, smooth fundamental tone with no mid or treble and I get that tone from an old Fender jazz bass using only the neck pup with heavy flatwound strings.
The problem is weight with my bad back and I've tried a few alternatives, but always been disappointed with the tone.
Do you know of any stockists where I could try a streamline before committing to buy ?

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Thanks,
Steve.

Hi Steve, you're really only going to be able to try a Streamline at the Status factory in Colchester (by appointment) or finding a friendly basschatter closer to you who has one. Try putting an ad on Statii.com entitled something like, "Can I have a go on your Streamline, Mister?" There are quite a few around now and someone must have one closer to you. But then again, a trip to the factory in Colchester is a nice day out :) Make sure you're only carrying enough money to buy/order one bass, though. Too much temptation there!

Yes, I can't see why it wouldn't be good for reggae. The two band pre is a bit darker sounding than the three band on the S2's, so you'd be able to get the sound you're after, I'm sure.

As for the weight, yes you're not going to have any problems with a Streamline. They only weigh six pounds on average.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

I was going to ask for a pic of the G&L out of interest, but I just found the for sale thread. Very nice looking bass (although I'd brefer a less bright colour personally)

On versatility, my current bass is very good. It's a Reggie Hamilton custom V, both passive or active and both jazz and precision pup. The one thing it lacks for me maybe is that I loved the active tone of my old Status S2 and I can't get the same amount of 'zap'.

Also very versatile: Martin Sims basses (Enfield basses). I was down at SIMS a year ago to get some LEDs put on a Chapman stick, and he went through the features of the bass with me - lots of different pup switching combinations.

I guess if I had to design a bass with ultra versatility in mind, I would probably go for a 5 strings, P/J pickup configuration, active with passive mod switch.

That said, is there any style of music that hasn't been played with a precision or a jazz?

I think we - bass players - are the only ones who can hear a major difference in sound between basses, even a precision and a jazz. I think the difference is more obvious for guitars between, say, a telecaster and a 335 than between basses.

My point is, you could use pretty much any bass for any style of music, and get away with it if you *play* the right way.

[quote name='Golchen' post='763736' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:19 AM']I was going to ask for a pic of the G&L out of interest, but I just found the for sale thread. Very nice looking bass (although I'd brefer a less bright colour personally)

On versatility, my current bass is very good. It's a Reggie Hamilton custom V, both passive or active and both jazz and precision pup. The one thing it lacks for me maybe is that I loved the active tone of my old Status S2 and I can't get the same amount of 'zap'.

Also very versatile: Martin Sims basses (Enfield basses). I was down at SIMS a year ago to get some LEDs put on a Chapman stick, and he went through the features of the bass with me - lots of different pup switching combinations.[/quote]

I'm pleased you've been able to find your answer from a stock bass. I had to build mine!

I built this just before Fender launched the passive 5 string P bass. It has a mighty mite neck, a home built swamp ash body, bartolini J pickups and a Bart P pickup in the same formation as the Fender Stu Hamm. These are linked to a five-way strat style switch and a John East BT and Mid-stack tone controls. It can do anything from stock P bass, stock J bass, PJ, and even Musicman'esque. Really useful on covers gigs where you can dial up a different bass sound at the flick of the five-way switch.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='763386' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:33 PM']Anybody else found their holy grail bass of versatility??[/quote]

[quote name='Musicman20' post='763393' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:38 PM']Fender Precision! Believe it or not. :)[/quote]

I do beleive it!

My custom Shuker has a single pup, no tone control, but it has a ramp that covers most of the area under the strings. Adjusting position and technique makes it mightly versatile [color="#000080"]for me[/color]. :rolleyes:

[quote name='redstriper' post='763472' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:51 PM']I'm sure I've asked you this before, so apologies for repeating myself, but...........

Would a streamline be suitable for reggae ?
I need a very deep, smooth fundamental tone with no mid or treble and I get that tone from an old Fender jazz bass using only the neck pup with heavy flatwound strings.
The problem is weight with my bad back and I've tried a few alternatives, but always been disappointed with the tone.
Do you know of any stockists where I could try a streamline before committing to buy ?

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Thanks,
Steve.[/quote]

I think an old gibson ebo or eb3 would be ideal for reggae, they have the deepest sound i've ever heard on the neck pickup, They are very light too.

Edited by littleal

[quote name='littleal' post='763981' date='Mar 4 2010, 02:26 PM']I think an old gibson ebo or eb3 would be ideal for reggae, they have the deepest sound i've ever heard on the neck pickup, They are very light too.[/quote]

Well I have one if your interested? Didn't wanna sell it but I'm only allowed one bass - just put some fresh TI flats on it so it has one hell of a thump! Better than an EBO because of more options and a bridge humbucker. I might send it home because the market is very slow for now.

That Fender 5 looks awesome!! How is the neck?? Thats the only complaint i've heard about the new Fender ones. The Stu Hamm in black n tort looks brilliant, I've only spotted an MIM on basschat in the year n a half i've been a member. A P5 must cover pretty much everything, although I reckon i'd be more of a jazz guy (if it had the s1 switch). I'd love to see the shuker, I think his prices are extremely reasonable. If I sold my current gear I'd probably go to him for a J/MM jazz...in green n ebony again!

I reckon the G&L is bright in the photos but will appear darker in person, just as long as its not a really tacky teal I don't mind. Ebonys my favourite board and greens the favourite colour, i dont tend to see it too often.

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='littleal' post='763981' date='Mar 4 2010, 02:26 PM']I think an old gibson ebo or eb3 would be ideal for reggae, they have the deepest sound i've ever heard on the neck pickup, They are very light too.[/quote]

I've been there already, with an Epiphone EB-0 which I bought new and sold on almost immediately.
It did have a very deep tone, but not quite right for fussy old me - too rich and growly and not clear enough, I find the same thing with precisions.
I love the front pup sound of my old jazz bass, just wish it wasn't so heavy.

[quote name='valere24' post='763774' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:02 AM']I guess if I had to design a bass with ultra versatility in mind, I would probably go for a 5 strings, P/J pickup configuration, active with passive mod switch.

That said, is there any style of music that hasn't been played with a precision or a jazz?

I think we - bass players - are the only ones who can hear a major difference in sound between basses, even a precision and a jazz. I think the difference is more obvious for guitars between, say, a telecaster and a 335 than between basses.

My point is, you could use pretty much any bass for any style of music, and get away with it if you *play* the right way.[/quote]

This is very true, doesn't explain why i'm such a fussy tart when I pick them though :)