Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just back from the second gig with a band I joined.

Audience loved it, pub paid us an extra few quid, other band members had a great night as all they hear and see is the audience reaction and then believe their own publicity. I thought it was terrible and it seems that I'm the only one who can hear it apart from two others in the audience. My wife, a singer and bodrahn player and my brother, a guitarist and sax player.  I need to knock them into shape before the next gig.

Edited by leschirons
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, leschirons said:

Audience loved it, pub paid us an extra few quid, other band members had a great night as all they hear and see is the audience reaction and then believe their own publicity. I thought it was terrible and it seems that I'm the only one who can hear it apart from two others in the audience. My wife, a singer and bodrahn player and my brother, a guitarist and sax player.  I need to knock them into shape before the next gig.

Its odd but i've experienced this too where audience seem to love every song, the band are enjoying and yet i hear things that aren't quite right and when i mention it i'm told "ach the audience will never notice that" but some do and historically we always aimed for perfection every rehearsal and gig.

Luckily the same things don't happen every time but it does annoy me more than the rest of the band.

Dave 

• Like 5

Good one last night in Stockport. Very hot in there, but a great crowd, even though they were half our age, they were into it. Way too much bass in the monitors, put me off a bit, but apparently it sounded decent out front.

img_3168.thumb.jpeg.cf72badad94940d30882a31c4c82d0cf.jpeg

img_3157.thumb.jpeg.a1e2fc677291b3d0a0e732445a0caa61.jpeg

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, Rayman said:

Good one last night in Stockport. Very hot in there, but a great crowd, even though they were half our age, they were into it. Way too much bass in the monitors, put me off a bit, but apparently it sounded decent out front.

img_3168.thumb.jpeg.cf72badad94940d30882a31c4c82d0cf.jpeg

img_3157.thumb.jpeg.a1e2fc677291b3d0a0e732445a0caa61.jpeg

GREAT photos - I can smell the sweat from here!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Trust me you could smell it here while I was loading the washing machine this morning. Actually that’s a lie…. Mrs Rayman loaded the washing machine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Not the Saturday night I anticipated. One of my regular bands has become sniffy about slumming it in low paid pub gigs so I'm rethinking my strategy.  Playing is my only source of income so I can't afford to be so choosy.

Last night they had pulled out because the singer was sniffy in a more literal way, another bad case of vocalists throat put her off the team sheet so I cast about for a bassless band to fill in at very short notice. 

The pub we ended up in could have been called the Sandpaper, The Stormy Sea, or the First Draft - in a word it was rough. 

All day drinkers in a forgotten backwater of a grim city, not many of them and all of them with a distinctly under evolved nature.

But we played, we got paid, I earned money I wouldn't have otherwise seen, and although I couldn't actually decipher what was being said, the little knot of tokers standing around my car as I loaded up at the end of the night seemed to be very positive.

It's all well and good playing once a month for 200 quid each but playing twice a week for 60 earns me a lot more. Case closed.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its odd but i've experienced this too where audience seem to love every song, the band are enjoying and yet i hear things that aren't quite right and when i mention it i'm told "ach the audience will never notice that" but some do and historically we always aimed for perfection every rehearsal and gig.

Bugs me too, quite a lot, but we don't aim for perfection because frankly, we would never get there.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Luckily the same things don't happen every time but it does annoy me more than the rest of the band.

Dave 

Striving for perfection is admirable, but don't let it drag you down.  Did the audience have a good night?  Then you did a good job, case closed.

• Like 7

Its odd but i've experienced this too where audience seem to love every song, the band are enjoying and yet i hear things that aren't quite right and when i mention it i'm told "ach the audience will never notice that...

Early in my live playing career I thought the same. I practiced endlessly and never thought I'd reached the level of skill to play live, let alone perfection. I fretted (pun intended) about every mistake I made and cringed at every botch-up of an arrangement made by the band. But the BL at the time explained that most audiences wouldn't notice and/or care if there were mistakes, missed verses, wrong words etc. Sadly, he was right and for a few years afterwards I didn't make the effort I should have, using his explanation as an excuse not to practice or learn specific parts for songs and the repeat bookings as evidence that it didn't matter. To my shame! Then I discovered the joy of 'making and effort and getting it right', which coincided with a new band. Now I don't care if the audience care or notice. If I (or my bandmates) notice, then it's an issue that needs to be addressed.    

• Like 5

10 hours ago, leschirons said:

What is the band called Keith? I’ll look out for you. Are you playing at the Necton Festival?

I’m impressed that you have the capacity to notice what the rest of the band are doing and the overall sound. I’m normally too busy trying to keep from making mistakes myself but I do find it disconcerting on the occasions when I do notice other’s mess ups. Normally starts and finishes, which I think can make a band look really amateur. Although, as others have said, the punters rarely notice. Listening back to recordings can be painful though!

• Like 3

I think my overly glib reply needs expanding upon.  I prefer to get it right.  Every time.  I do not have a phone it in, "that'll do" approach and never had.  Serious bloops need addressed as a band. 

I think my mistake management has improved.  When I started out, I would be very uptight and small mistakes would put me off a lot - my drummer is still mentally scarred by the "death stare of '09" when he had the audacity to miss a snare I was expecting!  Nowadays, I am a lot better at recovery when I make a mistake, and see other people's mistakes as an opportunity for humour - a knowing look with a smile tends to get a better performance out of others than a death stare.  Looks better from an audience point of view - whether they notice the mistake or not, they see a band having a good time, so they feel predisposed to having a good time.  Good vibes transmit way better than a scowl or grimace of "F F F BolloX I made a mistake!" followed by several bars of self flagellation.  Forget about it for now, pick up the song ASAP.  The time for discussion/review is after the gig, not during.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, leschirons said:

I can appreciate the frustration of mistakes, but if anyone in my band turned up at rehearsal with the intention of ‘knocking us into shape’ then I’d imagine they’d be looking for a new band, sharpish.

The crowd enjoyed it, job done. Make a metal note of mistakes and work on those sections in rehearsal, without ego. Everyone makes mistakes.

• Like 2

The Rebbels gig at Oakdale Conservative Club, Poole was great AND a nightmare. I forgot the usual analogue desk for the PA and monitor amp so had to rely on my backup kit, Allen and Heath CQ20 Digital Mixer plus using my spare bass amp, Asdown Retroglide 800 to power the monitors.

The first problem was that I could get no sound from the monitors even though the signal was getting through  to the amp. Luckily the singer has two powered mixers. We quickly drafted one of those to run the monitors.  finished just in time for the obligatory pre-set toilet break.

Half way through the first set, we had no monitors. We carry on like troupers until the break.  I trouble shoot while the Bingo was on.....after checking every cable knob and the computer screen, find that somehow the gain on the powered mixer channel had been set to 0. Now I do not believe in fairies, elves or leprechauns (except on St Patrick's Day). The singer swore blind he did not touch it but knobs do not turn themselves down. So the Bingo and the raffle finish and on we go. Second set, went OK although I completely forgot the key of one of our new songs. PIcked it up after about 4 bars though.

Oh and I also  forgot my mic stand but as I had a sore throat, it was probably a good move. There were dancers on the floor almost the whole night and we had some good comments from the crowd and the staff.  All in all a good night despite the stress. The final bonus was it was only two miles from home😃.

• Like 11

50 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Striving for perfection is admirable, but don't let it drag you down.  Did the audience have a good night?  Then you did a good job, case closed.

I aim for perfection but i know we'll never achieve it but i like to think we can get as close to as possible. The higher you aim the better the results for everyone. That's my theory anyways. 

I'm well aware that we will always make mistooks at a gig but hopefully the better you are will minimise the outcome.

I'm so full of theories, others would call it something else but that's a different theory altogether. 🤣

Dave

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

Early in my live playing career I thought the same. I practiced endlessly and never thought I'd reached the level of skill to play live, let alone perfection. I fretted (pun intended) about every mistake I made and cringed at every botch-up of an arrangement made by the band. But the BL at the time explained that most audiences wouldn't notice and/or care if there were mistakes, missed verses, wrong words etc. Sadly, he was right and for a few years afterwards I didn't make the effort I should have, using his explanation as an excuse not to practice or learn specific parts for songs and the repeat bookings as evidence that it didn't matter. To my shame! Then I discovered the joy of 'making and effort and getting it right', which coincided with a new band. Now I don't care if the audience care or notice. If I (or my bandmates) notice, then it's an issue that needs to be addressed.    

Yep that's where i've always been. I've always aimed high.

I hate to hear a band make a lot of obvious mistooks. I feel embarrassed for them. If i notice then others will too. I wouldn't go back to see a band that makes a lot of mistakes.

Dave

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Within bounds yes, there is the feeling of a job well done, and obviously perfect is the enemy of good, but sometimes, good would be a step up :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I think my overly glib reply needs expanding upon.  I prefer to get it right.  Every time.  I do not have a phone it in, "that'll do" approach and never had.  Serious bloops need addressed as a band. 

I think my mistake management has improved.  When I started out, I would be very uptight and small mistakes would put me off a lot - my drummer is still mentally scarred by the "death stare of '09" when he had the audacity to miss a snare I was expecting!  Nowadays, I am a lot better at recovery when I make a mistake, and see other people's mistakes as an opportunity for humour - a knowing look with a smile tends to get a better performance out of others than a death stare.  Looks better from an audience point of view - whether they notice the mistake or not, they see a band having a good time, so they feel predisposed to having a good time.  Good vibes transmit way better than a scowl or grimace of "F F F BolloX I made a mistake!" followed by several bars of self flagellation.  Forget about it for now, pick up the song ASAP.  The time for discussion/review is after the gig, not during.

We have an approach that if a mistake is made we carry on and if after the gig the person realises they made it and it was just a senior moment then job done. That's just human error and can't be helped. It doesn't need the band have a rehearsal to rectify. It just means someone goofed a bit and knows it.

We never have a mistake where we are wondering WTF happened there. 

I think as long as the band are aware what happened and its not the norm then its sorted.

Please don't get me wrong either and as a band Yes we make mistakes during a gig so i'm not saying every gig i play is spot on 100% perfect but its what we aim for. I don't think many bands will have a faultless year of gigs. Certainly not me. :laugh1:

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

We have an approach that if a mistake is made we carry on and if after the gig the person realises they made it and it was just a senior moment then job done. That's just human error and can't be helped. It doesn't need the band have a rehearsal to rectify. It just means someone goofed a bit and knows it.

We never have a mistake where we are wondering WTF happened there. 

I think as long as the band are aware what happened and its not the norm then its sorted.

Please don't get me wrong either and as a band Yes we make mistakes during a gig so i'm not saying every gig i play is spot on 100% perfect but its what we aim for. I don't think many bands will have a faultless year of gigs. Certainly not me. :laugh1:

Dave

Dave

A faultless YEAR?  Your aim is high indeed - I don't think many bands will have a faultless gig, singular!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, neepheid said:

II think my mistake management has improved.  When I started out, I would be very uptight and small mistakes would put me off a lot - my drummer is still mentally scarred by the "death stare of '09" when he had the audacity to miss a snare I was expecting!  Nowadays, I am a lot better at recovery when I make a mistake, and see other people's mistakes as an opportunity for humour - a knowing look with a smile tends to get a better performance out of others than a death stare.  

I think mine is earlier than that. When I was a kid i had a very strict, and not entirely mentally stable piano teacher. Well, actually I had 2, complete contrasts. The first one i went to and loved, but my mum took me away from there, as whenever we went or she picked me up there would be other kids there too, and the lessons merged from one to the other (ie, you got there 5 minutes early you would listen to the previous kid, then at the end of yours the next kid would be listening). She was great, but my mum though it wasn't the right personal attention as others were there, so we went to another one. None of that there. But she was strict, very strict and almost took all the joy out of playing sometimes (but not quite!). I still have manuscripts with very large drawn angry pencil marks around a sharp I got wrong (F# - always hated it since). so when I got something wrong we would stop and do it again until it was right.

Which means I really hear every mistake reverberate around my head, and every note that is wrong overides the 100 that were right.

I have learned recently that just laughing at the mistakes with the drummer when something sounds bad is a more enjoyable way of doing it, but it takes work!

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Looks better from an audience point of view - whether they notice the mistake or not, they see a band having a good time, so they feel predisposed to having a good time. 

This is the over riding factor for me now. The band as a whole should genuinely be having a good time regardless of the performance. The audience will pick up on that whether they realise or not. I've had a few compliments over the years along the lines of 'you looked like you were enjoying that', which to me is job done. But part of the enjoyment for me comes from knowing my part well enough that I'm not working hard at playing it. So I'll put the effort in behind the scenes so I can relax during the performance.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I think mine is earlier than that. When I was a kid i had a very strict, and not entirely mentally stable piano teacher. Well, actually I had 2, complete contrasts. The first one i went to and loved, but my mum took me away from there, as whenever we went or she picked me up there would be other kids there too, and the lessons merged from one to the other (ie, you got there 5 minutes early you would listen to the previous kid, then at the end of yours the next kid would be listening). She was great, but my mum though it wasn't the right personal attention as others were there, so we went to another one. None of that there. But she was strict, very strict and almost took all the joy out of playing sometimes (but not quite!). I still have manuscripts with very large drawn angry pencil marks around a sharp I got wrong (F# - always hated it since). so when I got something wrong we would stop and do it again until it was right.

Which means I really hear every mistake reverberate around my head, and every note that is wrong overides the 100 that were right.

I have learned recently that just laughing at the mistakes with the drummer when something sounds bad is a more enjoyable way of doing it, but it takes work!

Whenever i make a mistake i just turn round and look at the drummer. Takes the pressure off me. :laugh1:

Is that not why we have drummers.........to take the blame for all mistooks. :biggrin:

Dave

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, neepheid said:

A faultless YEAR?  Your aim is high indeed - I don't think many bands will have a faultless gig, singular!

I did say aim high but realistically i'm happy if we have a completely faultless gig :laugh1:

I'll accept 1 mistake, 2 means punishment with the lash and 3 well you might as well pick up your jacket on way out. :hi:

I jest of course. I think most bands will aim high but we won't achieve it every time.

Dave

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

This is the over riding factor for me now. The band as a whole should genuinely be having a good time regardless of the performance. The audience will pick up on that whether they realise or not. I've had a few compliments over the years along the lines of 'you looked like you were enjoying that', which to me is job done. But part of the enjoyment for me comes from knowing my part well enough that I'm not working hard at playing it. So I'll put the effort in behind the scenes so I can relax during the performance.

100% this

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I think mine is earlier than that. When I was a kid i had a very strict, and not entirely mentally stable piano teacher.

My Mum made me have piano lessons: I wanted to play clarinet (it was the time of Stranger on the Shore). I hated it. Couldn’t get it. The piano teacher was called Mr Bassman: must have been a sign😀! He got so frustrated with me that he used to poke me in the ribs with his long bony fingers (probably be arrested these days). Anyway, my Mum eventually gave up and decided to save her money. I don’t know who begged more for the lessons to stop: me or Mr Bassman.

The experience completely put me off playing music until I was about 13, when a confluence of a friends guitar and hearing the Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc, persuaded me that maybe it was worth having a go. I still expect everything that goes wrong to be my fault and I drive my band mates crazy by constantly apologising for my perceived imperfections! 🤣

• Haha 1