Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

42 minutes ago, theplumber said:

Yes during the day is murder. We manage to get parked in and around The Swan ok anytime but things are changing. Back in Glasgow next weekend at Mc Sorleys and that will be a laugh!!

We've given up on Glasgow centre. Too difficult getting to venues and parking is a joke plus the ULEZ zone doesn't help for some of the band.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We've given up on Glasgow centre. Too difficult getting to venues and parking is a joke plus the ULEZ zone doesn't help for some of the band.

Our band is considering the same Dave. Four LWB vans really cane the ULEZ fines, and some of

our tech guys work that area more than once a year so theirs gets doubled every time. Crazy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Franticsmurf said:

It's a lovely old building. Glad it was a good gig and gutted I couldn't make it. But... we got part payment for our gig in bacon. You can't beat that! 😃

Bacon, mmmm. Just wondering what the Bacon / £ Conversion rate would be? 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maple Road

3/8

The Bend Theatre 

Great Theatre gig. We played 9 songs opening for Ivy Ford.

We we're clicking on all 6 cylinders from the first couple of notes. Stage sound was outstanding. 

Daryl

20240308_174300.jpg

IMG_20240309_083455.jpg

20240308_164248.jpg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, casapete said:

Our band is considering the same Dave. Four LWB vans really cane the ULEZ fines, and some of

our tech guys work that area more than once a year so theirs gets doubled every time. Crazy.

Doesn't help when you get charged for the day up to midnight and again after midnight rather than just one charge for a single event.

Not sure if you can get a permit that allows you one charge for both days ? Probably not. Glasgow council finances are in a poor state.

Dave

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Maple Road

3/8

The Bend Theatre 

Great Theatre gig. We played 9 songs opening for Ivy Ford.

We we're clicking on all 6 cylinders from the first couple of notes. Stage sound was outstanding. 

Daryl

20240308_174300.jpg

IMG_20240309_083455.jpg

20240308_164248.jpg

Cracking venue Daryl. 

Well done sir.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Bacon, mmmm. Just wondering what the Bacon / £ Conversion rate would be? 😋

The exchange rate fluctuates wildly depending on how hungry you are. 😃 In this case it was additional to the agreed fee so it was hard to tell what financial market they based their figures on. 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, markbunney said:

Our gig was cancelled tonight as our singer/guitarist broke his ankle on Monday!

we have nothing booked now until the end of June, which is very depressing!

triggerfav-kick.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You could add it to the fee i guess but pretty sure the venues wouldn't be too pleased.

What you guys need is a single 7.5t truck. All the gear in one vehicle.

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You could add it to the fee i guess but pretty sure the venues wouldn't be too pleased.

What you guys need is a single 7.5t truck. All the gear in one vehicle.

Dave

Would be a plan Dave, but our guys all have different needs outside of working with 

us. PA in one van, lighting in another, backline in another and then the band in our

Merc splitter bus. Also just to make things worse we all come from different areas! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, markbunney said:

Our gig was cancelled tonight as our singer/guitarist broke his ankle on Monday!

Somehow don't think he is putting the effort in:

Dave_Grohl_broken_leg_-_News_620-400-105

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, casapete said:

Would be a plan Dave, but our guys all have different needs outside of working with 

us. PA in one van, lighting in another, backline in another and then the band in our

Merc splitter bus. Also just to make things worse we all come from different areas! 

Our band is same, all from different areas so a single vehicle just doesn't work for us. If we need a van for our larger PA we hire one as a band but its only myself as the nominated driver and the drummer who lives 30mins drive from me. I ended up the nominated van getter and driver because i was retired and not working so pick up and drop off was easier for me.

Obviously you guys have a lot more gear for the size of the venues you play.

I know a few tribute bands that just turn up with their own backline and hire a PA and lighting either thru the theatres or a local reputable company. 

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Somehow don't think he is putting the effort in:

Dave_Grohl_broken_leg_-_News_620-400-105

Whimp. Its embarrassing to watch. Maybe he was a professional footballer when he was younger :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, markbunney said:

He didn't fancy channeling Dave Grohl who broke his leg after falling off stage in Gothenburg (I think) and then finished the show sat down before going to hospital.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

He didn't fancy channeling Dave Grohl who broke his leg after falling off stage in Gothenburg (I think) and then finished the show sat down before going to hospital.

You haven't read the rest of the thread yet  have you? 😁

• Like 1

Just back from an Elton John tribute gig at Butlin’s in Skegness. 

Simple joy of playing a vintage P bass thru an SVT rig for about 1,000+ people (and a blow up dog) enjoying a 70s weekender. 

An ace day out!

IMG_2717.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Our band is same, all from different areas so a single vehicle just doesn't work for us. If we need a van for our larger PA we hire one as a band but its only myself as the nominated driver and the drummer who lives 30mins drive from me. I ended up the nominated van getter and driver because i was retired and not working so pick up and drop off was easier for me.

Obviously you guys have a lot more gear for the size of the venues you play.

I know a few tribute bands that just turn up with their own backline and hire a PA and lighting either thru the theatres or a local reputable company. 

Dave

We occasionally use local ( to the venue) PA hire companies Dave - recently Dundee for instance (although

they came from Glasgow!) but generally we prefer to use our own Lighting & PA people. 

Lighting comes from Lincolnshire, PA from Derbyshire, sound engineer from West Yorkshire. The band

come from East, West, South and North Yorkshire as well as Nottingham! It’s amazing we all manage

to get to the venue every time really, does take some organising. 
Occasionally we will use a theatre’s PA if it’s up to the job, but doesn’t happen that often. Next week we 

are at Butlins in Minehead doing a 70’s weekender, and will use the house system there ( and the house

SVT rig too 😊). 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Just back from an Elton John tribute gig at Butlin’s in Skegness. 

Simple joy of playing a vintage P bass thru an SVT rig for about 1,000+ people (and a blow up dog) enjoying a 70s weekender. 

An ace day out!

Sounds like a belting gig.

We are at Minehead next week, looking forward to reacquainting myself with an SVT rig! 

• Like 3

Prog gig tonight and took a large proportion of my gear

- Big Baby 2 with the Darkglass, small pedalboard and BassRevolt for the bass

- 2 x One10’s with Aguilar TH350 for the bass pedals

- was lending the other BB2 to the keys but couldn’t get the mixer and power amp that had worked fine Thursday night wouldn’t at the gig🤬

Generally went well and the crowd were really appreciative which was nice.

IMG_1323.jpeg

IMG_1322.jpeg

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 11

TONIGHT!
The Meathead's Arms in Wolverhampton (a fight every night or your money back) with 5 piece girl singer pop music band!
(We go out under different names because of something something different agencies something... I don't like to ask)
Dep singer, lovely lass, worked with her before, ex-bandmate of the others, she's basically one of the lads.
Unfortunately, she'd not got the memo about no dress code, so she was was dressed up like (her words) a high-class prostitute and the rest of us were in scruffy T-shirts and jeans.
The football was on when we got there- the smell of testosterone, Ben Sherman shirts and poor quality cocaine made for an electric atmosphere.
Load in and setup all pretty normal, nice big stage area so I set up next to the drummer to keep him company.
A fair few people in, mostly ignoring us and waiting for Match of the Day to start so we treated it like a paid practice.
First set we played really well apart from Toxic which we messed up worse than Britney messed up 2007, luckily no-one was listening so we got away with it.
Second set had a couple of dancers and a few tables at the back seemed to be enjoying it.
The drummer and I had a great time while the keys player was frantically doing FOH sound, sorting out clicks, cueing the singer and occasionally playing some keys.

Highlights were the two Dua Lipa ones (Levitating and Don't start now) which are a blast to play, Murder on the Dancefloor (new one which we all complained about but now love) and Crazy in Love/Crazy mashup which I've FINALLY sussed out (It's really very simple, it goes 6, 4, 2. 8, 8, (4) 8, 10, Crazy, loads, 4(*), ending. Simple.) The drummer loves that one and plays it like he's getting paid by the note.

It was the first public outing of my new improved enormous pedalboard (NIEPB) which sounded fantastic - the SA C4 patch for Toxic is brilliant (shame we totally buggered the song up, but the Bass sounded great), the EBS Multicomp gives the sound a fat, round, warm punch in the guts but in a good way and I'm fairly sure the two metres of retina-destroying pink LEDs make it sound extra fabulous.
(It's not quite finished - when a certain online retailer who shall remain nameless bothers to post me the stuff I ordered over a week ago, I can hook up the patchbay AND have all matching red patch leads. Obviously, you can't tell they're red, what with the two metres of retina-destroying pink LEDs, but still...)

Played the 5 String 'Ray which is still a work in progress - I did find myself reverting to using the B as an expensive thumb rest when I switched to autopilot, but Rome wasn't burnt in a day and all that.

Second outing of the weekend for the rainbow Converse, foot fans!

Paid cash, shipping forecast on the way home, back about 1 for last nights curry with a pint of Westons Reserve (8.2% ABV), an Old Fashioned (Lots of ice, much bourbon (usually Maker's Mark but Four Roses tonight), sugar syrup (use maple syrup for a really good one), Angostura Bitters, lots of stirring and a twist of orange peel over the top) and most importantly of all, desperately seeking validation from strangers on the internet.

Cheers. Same again, please.

20240309_204417.jpg

Edited by StingRayBoy42
  • Like 17
  • Haha 3

Last night was our annual fundraiser for the local theatre, The Courtyard in Hereford. It’s tough as the arranger to keep coming up with interesting new stuff for the audience, takes me a year to plan, but managed a 15 minute country medley (named No O In Cuntry) and 10 minute dance music medley for this year. Some tech issues meant we didn’t have control of our monitor mixes so a bit isolating, some occasional mistakes on my behalf but all in all a fun gig and have to start planning the next one now!

3d40242b-bad1-4a3a-a5a7-a0e51a32ce94.jpeg

IMG_4179.jpeg

• Like 18

6 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

TONIGHT!
The Meathead's Arms in Wolverhampton (a fight every night or your money back) with 5 piece girl singer pop music band!
(We go out under different names because of something something different agencies something... I don't like to ask)
Dep singer, lovely lass, worked with her before, ex-bandmate of the others, she's basically one of the lads.
Unfortunately, she'd not got the memo about no dress code, so she was was dressed up like (her words) a high-class prostitute and the rest of us were in scruffy T-shirts and jeans.
The football was on when we got there- the smell of testosterone, Ben Sherman shirts and poor quality cocaine made for an electric atmosphere.
Load in and setup all pretty normal, nice big stage area so I set up next to the drummer to keep him company.
A fair few people in, mostly ignoring us and waiting for Match of the Day to start so we treated it like a paid practice.
First set we played really well apart from Toxic which we messed up worse than Britney messed up 2007, luckily no-one was listening so we got away with it.
Second set had a couple of dancers and a few tables at the back seemed to be enjoying it.
The drummer and I had a great time while the keys player was frantically doing FOH sound, sorting out clicks, cueing the singer and occasionally playing some keys.

Highlights were the two Dua Lipa ones (Levitating and Don't start now) which are a blast to play, Murder on the Dancefloor (new one which we all complained about but now love) and Crazy in Love/Crazy mashup which I've FINALLY sussed out (It's really very simple, it goes 6, 4, 2. 8, 8, (4) 8, 10, Crazy, loads, 4(*), ending. Simple.) The drummer loves that one and plays it like he's getting paid by the note.

It was the first public outing of my new improved enormous pedalboard (NIEPB) which sounded fantastic - the SA C4 patch for Toxic is brilliant (shame we totally buggered the song up, but the Bass sounded great), the EBS Multicomp gives the sound a fat, round, warm punch in the guts but in a good way and I'm fairly sure the two metres of retina-destroying pink LEDs make it sound extra fabulous.
(It's not quite finished - when a certain online retailer who shall remain nameless bothers to post me the stuff I ordered over a week ago, I can hook up the patchbay AND have all matching red patch leads. Obviously, you can't tell they're red, what with the two metres of retina-destroying pink LEDs, but still...)

Played the 5 String 'Ray which is still a work in progress - I did find myself reverting to using the B as an expensive thumb rest when I switched to autopilot, but Rome wasn't burnt in a day and all that.

Second outing of the weekend for the rainbow Converse, foot fans!

Paid cash, shipping forecast on the way home, back about 1 for last nights curry with a pint of Westons Reserve (8.2% ABV), an Old Fashioned (Lots of ice, much bourbon (usually Maker's Mark but Four Roses tonight), sugar syrup (use maple syrup for a really good one), Angostura Bitters, lots of stirring and a twist of orange peel over the top) and most importantly of all, desperately seeking validation from strangers on the internet.

Cheers. Same again, please.

20240309_204417.jpg

In case I count as an internet validation stranger (certainly I’m on the internet and, many would say, a little strange): Old Fashioned = good.

• Like 3