Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Just back from a gig at a fairly local working men's club where the band were scheduled to play mid way through the evening between two other bands. Some short notice personnel issues meant we had to call in a dep drummer who I'd played with once before and knew was a solid player. That wasn't so bad. The vocalist was also a dep and none of us had jammed with him before or even met him. Totally unrehearsed and a set list exchanged by email was basically the only prep we did. The gig went well and all backline and PA was provided. I just showed with my Jazz, a strap, a clip on tuner and a lead. The provided backline was a Genz Benz Contour 500 2x10 with the matching Contour 1x15 extension cab. It was fairly loud but a bit dry sounding and I could hear it struggling ( the class-d cough I call it ) a little with the range of 60s, 70s and 80s rock and blues covers we played which need a lot of big heavy low end of the type my ABM can do with ease. The PA was fairly substantial and covered the out front bass well.

Someone came up to us at the end of the show and said they enjoyed the bands set and asked how long we'd all been together. Our dep singer piped up that he'd only just met us 15 mins before the show in the car park. Which was correct. Sandwiches and pork pies were supplied in abundance on the night for all courtesy of the working mens club. All in, a very enjoyable old school club gig considering half the usual band were deps, barely knew the set list and we all played with no previous rehearsal.

Edited by DGBass
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Played the local Horse & Jockey last night. At least two other band sitting watching, which always gets the adrenaline pumping. Punters really enjoyed it, it is a cramped wee stage. Always a good night, just wish the place was bigger. Here’s to 2023 and the gigs that’ll bring, hope everyone has a good one. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Angelus said:

Played the local Horse & Jockey last night. At least two other band sitting watching, which always gets the adrenaline pumping. Punters really enjoyed it, it is a cramped wee stage. Always a good night, just wish the place was bigger. Here’s to 2023 and the gigs that’ll bring, hope everyone has a good one. 

Wish i had known Lee, i would have taken a wee run down altho the stream of traffic all day and night trying to get across the river on the Carmichael straight would probably have put me off. Took me an hour to get home from Lanark yesterday afternoon.

Good that the gig went well and hopefully catch you next time.

Always a good sign when other bands are coming to see you. You must be good.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Wish i had known Lee, i would have taken a wee run down altho the stream of traffic all day and night trying to get across the river on the Carmichael straight would probably have put me off. Took me an hour to get home from Lanark yesterday afternoon.

Good that the gig went well and hopefully catch you next time.

Always a good sign when other bands are coming to see you. You must be good.

Dave

I took me an hour to drive to Douglas to get the sax player, after her Range Rover cut out after driving through a flood. Van went on fire on Tuesday, with smoke coming out from under the bonnet, so had to get it fixed (new alternator). Then it was leaking more oil than the Exxon Valdez, and needs to go back in for more repairs. So was a hell of a week building up to it, but hope you make one next year, would be good to catch up again. 👍

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Angelus said:

I took me an hour to drive to Douglas to get the sax player, after her Range Rover cut out after driving through a flood. Van went on fire on Tuesday, with smoke coming out from under the bonnet, so had to get it fixed (new alternator). Then it was leaking more oil than the Exxon Valdez, and needs to go back in for more repairs. So was a hell of a week building up to it, but hope you make one next year, would be good to catch up again. 👍

2023 can only get better for you Lee. :tatice_03:

Keep me posted on your gigs.

All the very best

Dave.

• Haha 1

Nice little gig in The Maldives. They flew us out here from the UK, put us up on full board in a swanky water villa for 3 days and then decided that they only wanted us to play for 1hr. 

Highlight was looking out across the dancefloor and seeing Peter Crouch and Jack Whitehall dancing together.

Nice big sound system too.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Nice little gig in The Maldives. They flew us out here from the UK, put us up on full board in a swanky water villa for 3 days and then decided that they only wanted us to play for 1hr. 

Highlight was looking out across the dancefloor and seeing Peter Crouch and Jack Whitehall dancing together.

WOW that's impressive and well done.

That must have topped the list of best gig for 2022.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

New Years Eve at the Dog House bar, Alfreton. 
A heavy-drinking but affable crowd ready to party. We piled on the cheese and there was plenty of dancing and singing along to Sweet Caroline, Hi Ho Silver Lining etc. We arrived at 7 for setup and asked for a side door near the stage area to be opened. The landlady was already so drunk she could barely find the right key on her key ring. Amazingly, she was still upright at New Year to count out the cash correctly. After two goes 😜.

Dropped the gear off at home, and walked around to the local at 1.30 for a couple of relaxers. 🍻

Happy New Year everyone.

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

WOW that's impressive and well done.

That must have topped the list of best gig for 2022.

Dave

Yeah it was definitely a highlight. It wasn't completely stress free because the General Manager of the hotel chain was an absolute pain in the derrière. He wasn't involved in booking us and it turns out he wanted a band with pretty girls in it rather than an all male act. After soundcheck he told us that, if we didn't perform well, he would fire the agent and the events manager who booked us. It was completely unnecessary nonsense and just added a ton of pressure which left a sour taste. All went well though and nobody got sacked. Day in the sun today then home tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Proper punk rock night for us at the Star and Garter in Manchester, with Vomit and Ed Banger.

Great crowd, we played well and at least 20bpm faster than normal. And someone actually recognised my Parker bass!

However, city centre a bit of a nightmare due to huge club just over the way which caused the road to be completely covered in barely clad teenagers - bit of a contrast to the punters at the Star!

ChokedStarGarterNYE2.jpg

Choked StarandGarterNYEcrowd.jpg

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 12

Dep for me. Near home, and finished by 11:30. Now I just need to be paid as the pub uses one of the online payment systems ☹️

No rehearsal and some less well known songs from the 60’s onwards, so working with a selection of chord charts and iReal bits I’d found on my iPad on a stand with a Bluetooth page turner I’d had for a while but never used in anger. That plus keeping an ear out for what the guitarist was up to, as he went off piste at times and reading the nods for endings, but got through relatively unscathed.

First night out with the Darkglass Microtubes 500 I won in an auction recently (with my trusty Streamliner in case there were any problems). Sounded good and no problems, which was nice. Now I just need to understand how the Intelligent footswitch works

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Proper punk rock night for us at the Star and Garter in Manchester, with Vomit and Ed Banger.

Great crowd, we played well and at least 20bpm faster than normal. And someone actually recognised my Parker bass!

However, city centre a bit of a nightmare due to huge club just over the way which caused the road to be completely covered in barely clad teenagers - bit of a contrast to the punters at the Star!

ChokedStarGarterNYE2.jpg

Parker bass pics would be nice :tatice_03:

I do like the Parker basses. Tried one few yrs ago when visiting a fellow BC'er to drop of a mixing desk and was very impressed by it.

Dave

5 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Living the dream. Hope you finished before the tide came in though.

• Like 1

We picked up a gig last minute as the pub had been let down by another band due to sickness, a bit of a slow start but eventually the punters were suitably lubricated enough to take to the dance floor, so all turned out well in the end.

The pub rebooked us, we had an enquiry about a private party also and we were fed and watered, so all was good, although not quite The Maldives….I think mrtcat won the Internet with that gig😊🤘👍🏻

2970974D-7841-4D87-BCE9-62A15F213842.jpeg

F5039C5E-E37E-4285-8BD0-797F42085D70.jpeg

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, Thor said:

We picked up a gig last minute as the pub had been let down by another band due to sickness, a bit of a slow start but eventually the punters were suitably lubricated enough to take to the dance floor, so all turned out well in the end.

The pub rebooked us, we had an enquiry about a private party also and we were fed and watered, so all was good, although not quite The Maldives….I think mrtcat won the Internet with that gig😊🤘👍🏻

Nice rig!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NYE pub gig. All good. Friendly drunk crowd, three sets including a couple of new songs, got paid, everyone happy. 

Used a biamped rig because, well why not? Bugera beast handled bottom and low mids via the TE cabs and the TC Electronic handled mids and tops. Split the effects from the Ampero. Sounded massive.

IMG_20221231_205229.jpg

• Like 13

Caution - picture heavy post here. Not quite the Maldives but a nice little pub in Sunningdale. I thought it would be good to get some pictures of the setup progress.......

IMG_20221231_183033.thumb.jpg.0607f0150d7e682ff45c1e238ed49d6c.jpg

IMG_20221231_191309.thumb.jpg.6f655a4e237a59b1c095e710dc7ec9ca.jpg

IMG_20221231_192312.thumb.jpg.d6662e37ab53e53ce363504517ee38c9.jpg

IMG_20221231_193123.thumb.jpg.bca517791621a6b107211c4089d0ea87.jpg

IMG_20221231_195408.thumb.jpg.1ee8b92a175cc3f8325d6338dfdc3528.jpg

IMG_20221231_201031.thumb.jpg.e7ef091703b45502af1aa285839561f7.jpg

IMG_20221231_202807.thumb.jpg.d1acb4c3efe329063d7096ab57897a55.jpg

2024012303_BroomhallNYE1.thumb.jpg.994fec6d28f1e9012daddb47ccfc42ca.jpg

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 11

Great night last night on our band's home turf. Sold out night and people dancing right up to the stage. Fewer ropey moments than usual (mental note: after practising for weeks solely on a J-style bass, a warm-up is advisable before launching straight into using a P-bass for a gig...) and we went down a storm. Home by 11 for pizza pockets and ranch dip with Mrs Greg! 

Had to use my Barefaced Two10S vertically for space reasons and I think it sounded slightly better to my ears, as well as being jeans-flappingly loud!

FB_IMG_1672578352910.jpg

PXL_20221231_183605838.jpg

PXL_20221231_183557709.jpg

Edited by asingardenof
Added photos
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:
3 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

ChokedStarGarterNYE2.jpg

Expand  

Parker bass pics would be nice

Just got this!

received_686182263188952.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Nice bass rig you have there. What's in the top rack ?

Dave

Nice NYE gig in Minehead (England's answer to the Maldives 😎).

The crowd were up for it and so were we. What could possibly go wrong? Well, we had to find a dep drummer at the last minute, but all went so well that we played til 1am and the venue paid us more than agreed.

Not a bad start to the NY!

• Like 12