Why become a member? ×

For sale subforum - shouldn't people have to put their location up?

XB26354

[quote name='PauBass' post='758654' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:32 PM']:)

I agree that location needs to be known but, as someone mentioned in a similar post a while ago, why not stick it in your profile too?...That way you know straight away where the person is based.[/quote]
It seems reasonable - mine is. Trouble is that a lot of people just come here to sell stuff and don't give a sh*t about forum etiquette.

I appreciate that failure to show item location from the outset may cause members some inconvenience and even cost them the effort of a PM.

But I can equally understand that others of a nervous disposition might shy away from giving their location out to all and sundry, given the interweb's reputation for scamming, stalking and false identities. It might be bloody annoying, but it's also understandable, particularly if you're a newbie surrounded by a bunch of gruff blokes giving it large on core tone and how they'd like to lamp their frontman.

It's fairly easy to establish where someone is - just ask them. So I oppose the motion, on the grounds that making it compulsory will probably cause some people not to post their gear for sale, hence reducing all our opportunities.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='758686' date='Feb 26 2010, 10:30 PM']I appreciate that failure to show item location from the outset may cause members some inconvenience and even cost them the effort of a PM.

But I can equally understand that others of a nervous disposition might shy away from giving their location out to all and sundry, given the interweb's reputation for scamming, stalking and false identities. It might be bloody annoying, but it's also understandable, particularly if you're a newbie surrounded by a bunch of gruff blokes giving it large on core tone and how they'd like to lamp their frontman.

It's fairly easy to establish where someone is - just ask them. So I oppose the motion, [b]on the grounds that making it compulsory will probably cause some people not to post their gear for sale, hence reducing all our opportunities.[/b][/quote]

This is the same reason we didnt impliment the "template" rule, as seen on 7string :)

[quote name='davidmpires' post='758665' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:46 PM']Bassassin what you suggested was the location on the tittle and that was what people didn't agree on[/quote]
No-one was able or willing to articulate a [b]reason[/b] why it was such a bad idea to put their location in the sub-heading. I can only guess it was because there are more letters in "can't be arsed" than in "Bristol" - because typing that in a box was plainly too much effort. :)

J.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='758686' date='Feb 26 2010, 10:30 PM']I appreciate that failure to show item location from the outset may cause members some inconvenience and even cost them the effort of a PM.

It's fairly easy to establish where someone is - just ask them. So I oppose the motion, on the grounds that making it compulsory will probably cause some people not to post their gear for sale, hence reducing all our opportunities.[/quote]

Na, it's common courtesy. You're selling something, so you should say (roughly) where you are. If you sell on almost any other commercial site you have to put some kind of location. I've lost count of the number of ads I've seen where post #2 is "pictures?" and post #3 is "where are you"? I don't even bother now if there's no location.

So I oppose your counter motion, on the grounds that if you want to sell something then a large proportion of people will probably want to come and take a look :)

[quote name='discreet' post='758791' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:53 AM']Am I missing something? What about just putting your actual location after 'From:' in your profile?
Instead of 'In the shed' or 'Up your mum' or similar stupid carp?

Or 'Up your mum in the shed'. Whatever.[/quote]

I suppose - but lots of people don't/haven't and this forum currently has 8744 members, each of whom would have to be bothered to edit their existing profile. It's only going to be a tiny percentage of them who want to use BC to sell bulky, unpostable items.

For the record, I haven't sold very much on BC but have been happy to post everything I have sold - as are most people selling basses, effects & parts. This question really only relates to amps & cabs which are heavy & bulky and therefore difficult, inconvenient & very expensive to package and post. I haven't sold anything like that here but if I did I'd force myself to endure the hardship of putting my location in the subtitle field, so anyone scanning the Amps & Cabs For Sale page would be able to see at a glance how far away from Bristol it was.

Crazy idea, I know. :ph34r:

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='758960' date='Feb 27 2010, 11:12 AM']8744 members, each of whom would have to be bothered to edit their existing profile.
I'd force myself to endure the hardship of putting my location in the subtitle field.[/quote]

Points taken!

It's really because I don't like the idea of you being behind my sofa... :)

I do think the right to sell gear here should be at least reserved for those who have a few posts on the forum, as recently it seems there have been a few people whi just pop up in the "for sale" forum with no posts, looking to use the place as a way to shift gear without Ebay costs or whatever! Maybe I'm naturally suspicious...

[quote name='MythSte' post='758691' date='Feb 26 2010, 10:33 PM']This is the same reason we didn't implement the "template" rule, as seen on 7string :)[/quote]

I cant see this would stop anyone to be honest. How did you know it would stop people?
If people are going to make the effort to join a forum in the first place, then type an add out i cant see how having to agree to terms and putting a location and cost in is going to put anyone off.

IMHO having something like this is going to benefit the seller. Maybe im wrong.
Personally i think everyone should HAVE TO fill out their location in their profile and while i know the mods wont have time to check, anyone found putting junk in should have their membership suspended until its changed. I know even that wont guarantee people put the right location in but it will come to light if they haven't when they try and sell something from another location.

Someone said maybe the seller is paranoid so wont put a location in. Well what will they do when they get a PM or reply asking for location, keep it a secret until they have MI5 check out the buyer ;-)
Nah, its pure laziness or just an over site but having it in the profile will help.

Edited by dave_bass5

It's fairly easy to establish where someone is - just ask them. So I oppose the motion, on the grounds that making it compulsory will probably cause some people not to post their gear for sale, hence reducing all our opportunities.[/quote]

It's only a case of asking members to post which town they live in, or at the very least county, not a complete address.

[quote name='XB26354' post='758923' date='Feb 27 2010, 11:30 AM']... I oppose your counter motion, on the grounds that if you want to sell something then a large proportion of people will probably want to come and take a look :)[/quote]

I second that counter motion.

Actually I don't really care as anything that tempts me on here is going to involve international couriers, however I do think its a bit daft. Why loose a chunk of potential customers just because you can't be bothered to note the location? Of course the serious buyers who're looking for that exact model will get in touch anyway, but the casual browser who lives in the same vicinity might click straight past your bargain because he's mentally adding courier costs to the sale price.

But do the mod team really want the hassle of writing and enforcing rules? Do we really want to burden them with this task? after all its the seller thats loosing out, and I'm sure the few people that are constantly looking for bargains can get used to posting "where are you".

After reflection I choose to remove my support to the counter motion. Anyway it gives us the opportunity to post sarcastic comments on the for sale forum :rolleyes: .

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='758983' date='Feb 27 2010, 11:47 AM']Someone said maybe the seller is paranoid so wont put a location in. Well what will they do when they get a PM or reply asking for location, keep it a secret until they have MI5 check out the buyer ;-)
Nah, its pure laziness or just an over site but having it in the profile will help.[/quote]

I quite like the idea of having a template based for sale post - although I don't think it should be enforced, just encouraged. Have a look at a couple of Shockwaves's FS threads to see how clear and informative some structure can be. -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78132"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78132[/url]

I'm sure the board can be programmed to provide text boxes when starting topics in the marketplace - it will help posters who really aren't that good at presenting their gear for sale - like probably we all were when we first started selling stuff. :)

As for locations, I don't think anyone will be knocking on my door if I change "Surrey" to "North Surrey", likewise if posters specify what region of Yorkshire or London they live in - every little helps if you're trying to encourage a sale, and we do want to sell stuff don't we?. Personally, I've just bought the house next to Old Horse Murphy :rolleyes:

It's the same with fleabay, there are some excellent adverts with fantastic photos & information and some less so - we've all seen them.

So sellers - make an effort and get a sale!

Guest johnzgerman

its just common sense really, if you want to sell something to someone they need to know roughly where it is. like a few people have already mentioned, if i don't see a location mentioned in the title or profile then i just ignore the advert and go on to the next one, so the seller loses out in the end.

I tend to agree with those that have said that it's up to the seller.

Whilst a clear and open ad will encourage buyers, I can understand why people may be reticent about giving out their location to all and sundry.

One thing I really like about this forum is the openness and I consider that the people on it are generally 'good sorts' (being bass players), however I don't expect others to share these views.

Whilst it is helpful to know if you will be able to easily undertake a collection, the PM system seems to me to be adequate for establishing where people are.

My concern about a template, is that, being an overly reliant on the soundman/plug in and play type, I probably don't know enough about the technical aspects of basses to adequately complete one!

[quote name='Hamster' post='759021' date='Feb 27 2010, 12:20 PM']I quite like the idea of having a template based for sale post - although I don't think it should be enforced, just encouraged.[/quote]

Exactly. I'm not much for changing forum rules to compel people to publish [i]any[/i] personal details simply to avoid a minor inconvenience to other members. As for paranoid? Maybe. Or maybe not.

FWIW, there this guy I know, who's posted pics of his (£60,000) collection of les pauls, es-335's etc on a guitar site, with a link to his own website. His forum profile shows he lives in x-town. But he's ex-directory and there's no address on his site so he think's he's safe.

A quick who-is search on his domain name shows a full street address in x-town. The location on the forum helps me to confirm it's his home address, not his hosting company. Ah, there it is on streetmap. A careful scrutiny of the front of his house shows no sign of a burglar alarm box.

And he's posted on the guitar site that he's off to Majorca with the missus and kids next week.

Remember, we're not the only ones who read this forum. There's a balance to be struck between security concerns, however excessive, and ease of purchase. Hamster's got it right - education not compulsion.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='jude_b' post='759067' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:20 PM']Whilst a clear and open ad will encourage buyers, I can understand why people may be reticent about giving out their location to all and sundry.[/quote]
Why, though? How would letting people know the town they're in realistically make them more prone to being robbed?* I really don't think that's why people don't - it's much simpler than that!

*Mind you, if I do embark on a new career as a bass gear thief, I'm off to Brizzle. :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='759080' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:35 PM']Why, though? How would letting people know the town they're in realistically make them more prone to being robbed?* I really don't think that's why people don't - it's much simpler than that![/quote]

Yes, you're right. I agree that a lot of people [i]are[/i] too dim or lazy to include a location. I'm just thinking about those who deliberately want to retain some privacy until they get an approach from someone they can check out via their posts / feedback, whatever.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='759083' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:39 PM']I'm just thinking about those who deliberately want to retain some privacy until they get an approach from someone they can check out via their posts / feedback, whatever.[/quote]

What is the person enquiring hasn't bothered to fill out their location etc as well. Stale mate?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='759087' date='Feb 27 2010, 01:42 PM']What is the person enquiring hasn't bothered to fill out their location etc as well. Stale mate?[/quote]

Fair point, well made. I suppose it's a question of who blinks first.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Hamster' post='759021' date='Feb 27 2010, 12:20 PM']I quite like the idea of having a template based for sale post - although I don't think it should be enforced, just encouraged. Have a look at a couple of Shockwaves's FS threads to see how clear and informative some structure can be. -

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76324[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78132"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=78132[/url]

I'm sure the board can be programmed to provide text boxes when starting topics in the marketplace - it will help posters who really aren't that good at presenting their gear for sale - like probably we all were when we first started selling stuff. :)

As for locations, I don't think anyone will be knocking on my door if I change "Surrey" to "North Surrey", likewise if posters specify what region of Yorkshire or London they live in - every little helps if you're trying to encourage a sale, and we do want to sell stuff don't we?. Personally, I've just bought the house next to Old Horse Murphy :rolleyes:

It's the same with fleabay, there are some excellent adverts with fantastic photos & information and some less so - we've all seen them.

So sellers - make an effort and get a sale![/quote]
This is exactly why I liked the idea of a template (though not making it mandatory). Even with the best of intentions many of the ads in the for sale section manage to omit some key information, like a price or even exactly what model it is. A template would at least serve as a useful reminder of the info needed to get the best response, though it should be entirely up to the seller whether they choose to complete the template, copy the information into their text or ignore it altogether.