Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='Phil-osopher10' timestamp='1361998397' post='1994333']
does anyone have a good online resource where you can learn from the very basics of electronics? currently building that zen clone and feeling as if I'm basically doing an adult version of paint by numbers...
[/quote]

You might try Everyday Practical Electronics or Elector magazines from W H Smiths, both have online versions I think. They have teach in type articles, and adverts for correspondence courses usually. That way you can learn a bit at a time.

Good sources of cheapo bits and pieces as well.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1362432796' post='1999812']
How does it sound bartleby?
[/quote]

I made the mods the morning before a gig, but when testing it out there was a lot of high freq noise.So I didn't use it.
Took it to the next rehearsal and ran it from a battery there was no noise and it sounded fantastic... to me. The low mid isn't very noticable at low volumes, but when it's loud it adds a nice bit of oomph.

I shall endeavour to get some examples recorded later today.

Finally got around to a quick demo:

https://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/odb3-test

0:00 - 0:08 clean
0:08 - 0:27 mix almost dry, gain low 1N4148 clipping mod
0:27 - 0:48 mix almost dry, gain low LED clipping
0:49 - 1:14 mix almost dry, gain high 1N4148 clipping mod
1:14 - 1:31 mix almost dry, gain high LED clipping
1:31 - 1:54 mix 50/50, gain high 1N4148 clipping mod
1:54 - 2:13 mix 50/50, gain high LED clipping
2:13 - 2:30 mix 100% wet, gain high LED clipping
2:30 - end mix 100% wet, gain high 1N4148 clipping mod

Played on a Warwick Corvette Proline, MEC jazz p/ups and 3 band MEC preamp. P/up blend 50/50 and all tone controls centred. Straight into audio input on my iMac

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1343730291' post='1754187']

And the main reason for the rehouse - to remove the stupid lip that makes sticking the pedal down an utter nightmare!

Dimensions of the pedal (excluding the lip of of the top)...
123mm x 65mm x 33mm.

I can loose the battery compartment, as long as the battery snap is left stowed inside the unit so it can be put back in the original case in the future. That would reduce the length from 123mm by 20mm or so.
[/quote]

why not just shim it? how many mm is the 'lip'?

no need to re-house the whole thing?? :)

It's not just the lip... There's also the thumb screw you see in the last pic (which is as high as the lip - about 4mm) which holds the whole together. You'd need to start drilling it aand screwing things together. Rehousing is actually easier and cheaper. Seems Aggie appreciate this fact now that all the pedals have been rereleased in sensible enclosures!

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1362773598' post='2004739']
Finally got around to a quick demo:

https://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/odb3-test

0:00 - 0:08 clean
0:08 - 0:27 mix almost dry, gain low 1N4148 clipping mod
0:27 - 0:48 mix almost dry, gain low LED clipping
0:49 - 1:14 mix almost dry, gain high 1N4148 clipping mod
1:14 - 1:31 mix almost dry, gain high LED clipping
1:31 - 1:54 mix 50/50, gain high 1N4148 clipping mod
1:54 - 2:13 mix 50/50, gain high LED clipping
2:13 - 2:30 mix 100% wet, gain high LED clipping
2:30 - end mix 100% wet, gain high 1N4148 clipping mod

Played on a Warwick Corvette Proline, MEC jazz p/ups and 3 band MEC preamp. P/up blend 50/50 and all tone controls centred. Straight into audio input on my iMac
[/quote]

Thank you so much for taking the time to record the demo. You can really hearbthe difference of each of the settings! Love the tone of your bass too! - really appreciated, thanks.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1363213713' post='2010045']
Thank you so much for taking the time to record the demo. You can really hearbthe difference of each of the settings! Love the tone of your bass too! - really appreciated, thanks.
[/quote]

No problem and cheers.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1363811807' post='2018136']
Noise noise noise! Devi Ever SodaMeiser, just needs some appropriate artwork to finish it off

[/quote]

Devi Ever stuff is getting really tempting, the Shoe Gazer especially.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1363885491' post='2018955']
They're very simple to put together on a breadboard and experiment with :)
[/quote]

I'm just getting into breadboarding stuff, I can modify pedals fairly sucessfully and build kits. Now want to experiment at an earlier stage in the process.
Got most of the way through a Voodoo Labs overdrive clone and discovered I've lost a box of capacitors during a house move, so have to wait until I can afford to replace them.

Edited by bartelby

I've been using a guitar chorus pedal (kit thing, but really lush, BBD pedal) on my fretless for a while now, and I can feel some mods coming on. I reckon I'll stick a blend pot before the effect itself, and a HPF between the blended buffer and the chorus board.

Hold on to your shorts, this might be a bumpy ride...

Turned out pretty well. There is (understandably) a volume drop othe FX part of the blend, but at least I can do what I wanted with it. I just need to fine tune the frequencies on the HPF control and the job is a veritable good 'un.

Buoyed by my recent successes in making and modding pedals I placed a big order with doctortweek.co.uk last night and will be attempting an OC2, using the same old school chips, diodes and transistors.

That should make for an interesting week... :mellow:

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1364147342' post='2022496']
Buoyed by my recent successes in making and modding pedals I placed a big order with doctortweek.co.uk last night and will be attempting an OC2, using the same old school chips, diodes and transistors.

That should make for an interesting week... :mellow:
[/quote]

Grand! You adding any mods or building it stock?

Dunno yet. I'll be building it stock and then take it from there. What are the best mods? I'd reckon changing the input cap to let more bottom through is pretty much a moot point. It's probably best left as stock methinks...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1364206041' post='2023045']
Dunno yet. I'll be building it stock and then take it from there. What are the best mods? I'd reckon changing the input cap to let more bottom through is pretty much a moot point. It's probably best left as stock methinks...
[/quote]

Adding a filter on the octave (like the Aguilar) is a sub of two resistors for a dual-gang pot and gives a nice variety of tones. I wouldn't change the input cap, but by all means experiment with a socket! You using the Boss bypass or another option?

Hey guys,

Not normally a lurker on the effects side of the forum but I've been adding pedals to my gear list recently and I fancy having a go at building some DIY stuff. My first foray into pedal building was a Woolly Mammoth clone which wasn't my cup of tea really.

I've currently got (in order) a Bass Big Muff Pi, Boss CEB-3, into a SansAmp Paradriver. What I'm looking for is a small overdrive to sit at the front of the chain to bump up the level into the Muff, as I have found that OD into fuzz works much better than fuzz into OD. Ditched my ODB-3 as that was waaay too 'fizzy', if you understand what I mean by that.

The Paradriver is there for DI and tone shaping with just the merest hint of drive going on.

So, I'm looking for a schematic for a one-knob OD that is bass-friendly and will fit into a Hammond 1590A enclosure (yep, the really tiny micro pedal-sized one :o ). I have heard good things about the Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker and would like to emulate something like that on bass, but smaller too.....

Just wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew?

Ta muchly,

Bottle