Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1336856069' post='1652098']
tube screamer will fit fine inside a 110 x 60mm enc. if you are neat with your wiring and snug with your jack plug and footswitch positions,
Not sure what size the red ranger pcb is.
[/quote]It's actually slightly smaller than the Tube screamer, so i'll get two 110 x 60. And try and keep things neat and tidy.
cheers Ash

• 2 weeks later...

*maniacal laughter mode on*

"Ha ha! It's alive!!! HA HAA HAAA HHAAAH!!!!"

*maniacal laughter mode off*

Set to building a little bass fuzz over the weekend while STILL waiting for all my meatball components to arrive (ordered 1st May and optocouplers STILL haven't arrived - cheers CPC... useless crowd of incompetents). I say little, but it's actually an almost-fully featured Mastotron clone (minus octave switch) that I'm fitting into a Hammond 1590A with all the controls internalised. I'm a set-and-forget guy when it comes to things like fuzz and it'll probably only be used in conjunction with an octave and filter for synthy sounds anyway. It's still naked while I sort out a little problem with the sweep of the fuzz and PW controls (didn't have the exact values of trimmers knocking about so tried the old parallel-with-fixed-resistor trick and it hasn't worked as well as I'd like - all the action's at one end of the trimmer's travel). I think I'm going to call it my ZIP GUN FUZZ, for obvious reasons. Pics once I've it 'enclosed'...

Also ordered the PCB for a Pearl Octave clone from Madbean since I'm in such a DIY mood, AND I have all the bits for an SHO clone in a 1590A too, which should work well with my Ashdown valve rig... all these projects and so little time!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1334955535' post='1624150']
Al, your pedals look awesome. I'd love to spend some time learning about electronics & how to properly read a schematic, but everytime I start googling things I just get overwhelmed! I know how to wire up lights & lighting systems & how to solder fairly decently, but I just can't get any further.

I'm wanting to make a simple version of a LPF, is it as simple as getting a 100k pot & a 0.047uf capacitor & wiring it like a bass' tone control?

Still haven't made my "footlight" yet, haven't gotten hold of a bit of perspex but I have everything else.
[/quote]

JUst saw this about the LPF
Yes a cap and a resistor is a basic filter, for an active one theres a vero layout on musikding forums for an alembic like filter i have it saved somewhere but can't find it! Otherwise theres a craig anderson designed filter in his book. (I have the book as a PDF if anyone....) which is a state variable filter with HP, BP and LP possible. Not built either mind

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337684848' post='1663860']
Yes a cap and a resistor is a basic filter, for an active one theres a vero layout on musikding forums for an alembic like filter i have it saved somewhere but can't find it! Otherwise theres a craig anderson designed filter in his book. (I have the book as a PDF if anyone....) which is a state variable filter with HP, BP and LP possible. Not built either mind
[/quote]

Also worth looking at is the Electronix (Zeibek) Submarine bass preamp [url="http://zeibek.com/bass-pedals/submarine"]http://zeibek.com/bass-pedals/submarine[/url], which is heavily borrowed from Albert Kruezer preamp. Vero layout on DIY stompbox gallery. Built one myself, quick & easy - a good useful bass preamp.

Edited by nick

[quote name='nick' timestamp='1337688093' post='1663951']
Also worth looking at is the Electronix (Zeibek) Submarine bass preamp [url="http://zeibek.com/bass-pedals/submarine"]http://zeibek.com/ba...edals/submarine[/url], which is heavily borrowed from Albert Kruezer preamp. Vero layout on DIY stompbox gallery. Built one myself, quick & easy - a good useful bass preamp.
[/quote]

looks good. Not sure its a LPF though
The SFT is a great similar cuitcuit basically a SVT with gets

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1337683580' post='1663824']
excellent projects - post some progress pics or it didn't happen :ph34r:
[/quote]
Will do Al!

Also interested in building something like the EWS BMC small format parametric eq. Anyone know of a project like that?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337684848' post='1663860']

[/quote]

Cheers. Once I learn to read schematics, I wouldn't mind a nosey at that PDF if that's ok?

I completely forgot about musikding. I might get a kit from them for learning purposes. :)

managed to score a tonepad Small clone pedal from my brother this weekend. Got the chance to play it last night and it's absolutely beautiful - I need to finish putting my fretless back together now so that I can go mwah, mwah properly. :)

This is a little gem - Madbean's take on the BBE Sonic Stomp pedal, the 'Bloviator' - a harmonic exciter, adds depth, warmth, presence to everything, for guitar and bass (though only tried on guitar so far) Not much db boost just enhances the highs and lows without scooping the mids. Its a powerful effect but also quite subtle, and when you turn it off everything sounds sad, flat and thin. Great for really enhancing modulation fx too. Can I also say the Madbean PCB's are superb and make soldering onto a small crowded space a real pleasure. Worked first time no nonsense. Will get some sound clips posted up with bass after the weekend.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/alheeley/7264118368/][/url]

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1337896338' post='1667269']
This is a little gem - Madbean's take on the BBE Sonic Stomp pedal, the 'Bloviator' - a harmonic exciter, adds depth, warmth, presence to everything, for guitar and bass (though only tried on guitar so far) Not much db boost just enhances the highs and lows without scooping the mids. Its a powerful effect but also quite subtle, and when you turn it off everything sounds sad, flat and thin. Great for really enhancing modulation fx too. Can I also say the Madbean PCB's are superb and make soldering onto a small crowded space a real pleasure. Worked first time no nonsense. Will get some sound clips posted up with bass after the weekend.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/alheeley/7264118368/][/url]
[/quote]

Good stuff! I've 3 madbean pcbs incoming although only one (the lowrider octave) is for me, unless I fancy some plexi'd delay type action on da bass...

Hey all!

I've been thinking about cutting down the features of my distortion preamp, then finding a way to have one built in to a pedal, because I love the sound of it. Then I saw the schematics... Ooooph! This one is going to need careful planning!

I love seeing you guys DIY pedals though. They all look so cool - one of the reasons I wanna have a go. Something very cool about saying 'I made this', or 'ahh no sorry mate, i had this built for me, you can't buy something thisssssssss cool!'

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1337896338' post='1667269'] This is a little gem - Madbean's take on the BBE Sonic Stomp pedal, the 'Bloviator' - a harmonic exciter, adds depth, warmth, presence to everything, for guitar and bass (though only tried on guitar so far) Not much db boost just enhances the highs and lows without scooping the mids. Its a powerful effect but also quite subtle, and when you turn it off everything sounds sad, flat and thin. Great for really enhancing modulation fx too. Can I also say the Madbean PCB's are superb and make soldering onto a small crowded space a real pleasure. Worked first time no nonsense. Will get some sound clips posted up with bass after the weekend. [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/alheeley/7264118368/][/url] [/quote]

looks nice, how come you left all the cables so long?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1337935847' post='1667538']
Hey all!

I've been thinking about cutting down the features of my distortion preamp, then finding a way to have one built in to a pedal, because I love the sound of it. Then I saw the schematics... Ooooph! This one is going to need careful planning!

I love seeing you guys DIY pedals though. They all look so cool - one of the reasons I wanna have a go. Something very cool about saying 'I made this', or 'ahh no sorry mate, i had this built for me, you can't buy something thisssssssss cool!'
[/quote]

pm me if you want some help with this jazz

Thank you Umph!! Very kind! I'm just looking at the schematics now and seeing what features I need and what I won't, as the pedal will need to be a self contained unit but not needing many if the features that make the signal path a full blown preamp rack. It's looking more 'do-able' as i study it further.

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1338010539' post='1668563']
looks nice, how come you left all the cables so long?
[/quote]not finished yet, waiting on TL071 chip to replace the LM741, then will shove in the dc socket and trim all to fit :)

Edited by Al Heeley

Heres a quick demo, a couple of sound samples thru a boss loopstation showing the harmonic exciter (changed the box graphics a bit) sadly the camera mic compresses a lot of bass so you don't get a great feel for the full qualities of this pedal. Simplest I can explain is when you switch it off the sound sounds like its gone from stereo to mono
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB6wOlTqYRw

Isn't building these things fun - even when you've very little free time!

While waiting for my pizza to cook last night I managed to throw together a Bazz Fuss on vero with components I had lying about. Dead simple circuit (easy enough that I can recount the component list from memory - 100k pot, 100k resistor, 4.7uF Electrolytic, 100nF cap, 1N4148 diode, 2N3904 Transistor, 6x4 piece of vero). 12 minutes start to finish... Maybe nearer 13 since I like my pizza well done!

Not just as awesome sounding as the Mastotron clone from a few weeks ago (which is still waiting for me to put it in an enclosure), and nowhere near as synthy sounding using the components I have, but sufficiently fun considering the component count.

Now I have my step drills back from a friend I can set to enclosing these 2. Pics soon...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1338279285' post='1671893']
Isn't building these things fun - even when you've very little free time!
[/quote]

I have just thrown together a Bazz Fuss too, this time incorporating a buff and blend as well.

I love this circuit and return to it a lot. My favourite build so far is a Bazz Fuss with a modified Big Muff Tone stack but unfortunately I don’t have it anymore. With the tone knob towards the bass side it would cut through absolutely anything. It is such a simple circuit but really works.

I use a slightly different version to you based on the home wrecker article which is worth trying if you can socket the components:

1N914 diode, MPSA13 Darlington transistor in place of the 2N3904 (sounds a bit smoother) 100k resistor should be replaced with 10k with this transistor.

1k Pot in between ground and the emitter of the transistor (Lug one to ground, Lug 2 to Lug 1, Lug 3 to the emitter of the transistor). This acts as a nice little drive control and helps to clean the sound up a bit.

I aim to build a deluxe Bazz one day with volume, drive, clean blend, tone stack and a rotary switch for clipping diodes too.

[quote name='mancunianfox' timestamp='1338287192' post='1672040']

I have just thrown together a Bazz Fuss too, this time incorporating a buff and blend as well.

I love this circuit and return to it a lot. My favourite build so far is a Bazz Fuss with a modified Big Muff Tone stack but unfortunately I don’t have it anymore. With the tone knob towards the bass side it would cut through absolutely anything. It is such a simple circuit but really works.

I use a slightly different version to you based on the home wrecker article which is worth trying if you can socket the components:

1N914 diode, MPSA13 Darlington transistor in place of the 2N3904 (sounds a bit smoother) 100k resistor should be replaced with 10k with this transistor.

1k Pot in between ground and the emitter of the transistor (Lug one to ground, Lug 2 to Lug 1, Lug 3 to the emitter of the transistor). This acts as a nice little drive control and helps to clean the sound up a bit.

I aim to build a deluxe Bazz one day with volume, drive, clean blend, tone stack and a rotary switch for clipping diodes too.
[/quote]

A buff'n blend would be a nice addition to the Bazz Fuss, and I probably have all the bits for one knocking around - something for the next pizza break!

Might have a fiddle with different transistors on the Fuss as, as you say, the 2N3904 isn't very smooth, I'll have to see what I have knocking around.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1338289542' post='1672090']
A buff'n blend would be a nice addition to the Bazz Fuss, and I probably have all the bits for one knocking around - something for the next pizza break!

Might have a fiddle with different transistors on the Fuss as, as you say, the 2N3904 isn't very smooth, I'll have to see what I have knocking around.
[/quote]

If you want to try adding a tone control to it you can find a good article on that here:

[url="http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/BigMuffToneControl/"]http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/BigMuffToneControl/[/url]

And you can find the tone stack calculator which allows you to tweak the cap and resistor values to change the frequency response and scoop here:

[url="http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/"]http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/[/url]