Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Hello, back again after a long gap....

so a question there's a fella in the sales forum just stuck up a alleva copollo 2 band preamp, mounted in an outboard box for a lot of money.
Now the brand is one thing.... but sadowsky, aguilar, alleva copollo etc, their two band on board preamps - everytime you hear about them they are "the best preamp ever" - I wonder how, different can the cuircuit schematics and parts of a two band preamp be? like at the end of the day it's going to be a shelving (?) eq at a certain frequency and a certain Q value. Where does the "magic" of the sound come from?

D.A.M. Meathead clone on the left and a 'Jimi' Spec, negative ground, Fuzz Face on the right

I love the daughter-boards for the switch, but will work much cleaner with the LED drilled near the switch (I drilled these enclosures before I got the switch boards)

Si

Hey guys. Ive been looking at making a few pedals for the first time lately and have had a skim through this thread. Ive picked up a simple kit to start with, but I need to sort myself out some gear for this. Does anybody have any recommendations on what soldering iron to buy and anything you think might be essential? Can I get away with something cheap or is it worth paying extra for the quality? I saw a starter kit on diypedalkits, but they no longer sell it and now the site is down, typical. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get me started off.

[quote name='deej' timestamp='1378808071' post='2204783']
Hey guys. Ive been looking at making a few pedals for the first time lately and have had a skim through this thread. Ive picked up a simple kit to start with, but I need to sort myself out some gear for this. Does anybody have any recommendations on what soldering iron to buy and anything you think might be essential? Can I get away with something cheap or is it worth paying extra for the quality? I saw a starter kit on diypedalkits, but they no longer sell it and now the site is down, typical. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get me started off.
[/quote]

A helping hands can be useful, and can be picked up cheap (don't go to Maplins for this).
Soldering irons vary. Pay more, get more, but you can always start cheap and then pay more later.
Make sure you've got a nice brighlty lit area to work in too!

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1378809368' post='2204810']
A helping hands can be useful, and can be picked up cheap (don't go to Maplins for this).
Soldering irons vary. Pay more, get more, but you can always start cheap and then pay more later.
Make sure you've got a nice brighlty lit area to work in too!
[/quote]

Thanks man. Yeah im not looking to spend too much yet as im just getting into it. Is there a minimum wattage I should look for in a soldering iron?

• 2 weeks later...

Red Llama clone finished yesterday.
Great sounding fuzzy overdrive (originally called Tube Sound Fuzz by Craig Andreson).
First attempt at spraying enclosures, and probably the last ;). Getting the insides tidier I think, but just experimenting with finishing the outsides a bit.

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2qds9xc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2n8zsw8.jpg[/IMG]

Si

ROHS bunch would shoot me for saying this, but lead solder all the way. I ran out last month and have been using some sh*tty 'lead free' stuff from Craplins (hey, desperate times) and it's absolutely rubbish to work with.

Just my 2p worth!

Use it in a well ventilated area though*

*whilst wearing a mask, gloves, goggles, condom etc...

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1379941645' post='2218458']
ROHS bunch would shoot me for saying this, but lead solder all the way. I ran out last month and have been using some sh*tty 'lead free' stuff from Craplins (hey, desperate times) and it's absolutely rubbish to work with.

Just my 2p worth!

Use it in a well ventilated area though*

*whilst wearing a mask, gloves, goggles, condom etc...
[/quote]

I just hold my breath for half an hour :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally finished my GGG Green Russian Muff, been on hold for ages while I finish some other projects.
This is modded with the AMZ Precence/Mid control.
Artwork by: [url="http://www.clairecousinsillustration.co.uk/"]http://www.clairecousinsillustration.co.uk/[/url]

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/2ymdd36.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.tinypic.com/2hzps34.jpg[/IMG]

Really happy with how it came out, although I'll probably play about with the Mids a bit, resistor and pot value/taper etc

Cheers
Si

Si I love your artwork!

I'm working on a pedalparts TS808 kit and I have a couple of questions about pots.

Firstly, there's nothing on the pots to identify which terminal does which. Pots are 'Alpha' like the ones in Si's DAM Meathead and Fuzz Face. PCB has 3 connections for each pot, outers are labelled 1 and 3, middle is presumably 2 but isn't labelled. Is there a wrong way to connect these up?

Secondly, the pot has a cast alloy lug sticking up next to the shaft which stops it sitting flat in the enclosure - presumably I can just file this off to get the pot to seat properly, or is there something missing?

Kind regards,

Pete

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1382119102' post='2248342']
Si I love your artwork!

I'm working on a pedalparts TS808 kit I have a couple of questions about pots.

Firstly, there's nothing on the pots to identify which terminal does which. Pots are 'Alpha' like the ones in Si's DAM Meathead and Fuzz Face. PCB has 3 connections for each pot, outers are labelled 1 and 3, middle is presumably 2 but isn't labelled. Is there a wrong way to connect these up?

Secondly, the pot has a cast alloy lug sticking up next to the shaft which stops it sitting flat in the enclosure - presumably I can just file this off to get the pot to seat properly, or is there something missing?

Kind regards,

Pete
[/quote]

Hi Pete,

With the pot lugs facing you and the pot shaft facing up, the lugs are 1-3 left to right.

The metal tab allows you to drill a second hole in the enclosure for this to slot into. Chances are you'll want to snap it off with some pliers and forget the second hole.

Hope that helps!
Tom

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding a Boss DS-1 pedal mod. I read on line that an easy mod to do was to remove two resistors which I did (can't remember which two but could open the pedal up if needed), this was to make the DS-1 more like a boost pedal ... however what I would really like is to try make this sound something a Darkglass Microtubes B3K if that's at all possible ? I know it's probably a big ask lol

I want to use this for bass guitar & don't need that much distortion. Ideally I'd like a 'blend' control knob instead of 'tone' & maybe less 'gain' and hopefully not lose too much low-end esp as I play 5 string ....

Is this something any of you could do ? Or could you steer me in the right direction regarding DIY ? Any help / suggestions welcome ... I know I could just buy a B3K but don't like the Boss just collecting dust ......

cheers

Simon

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1382125775' post='2248497']
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding a Boss DS-1 pedal mod. I read on line that an easy mod to do was to remove two resistors which I did (can't remember which two but could open the pedal up if needed), this was to make the DS-1 more like a boost pedal ... however what I would really like is to try make this sound something a Darkglass Microtubes B3K if that's at all possible ? I know it's probably a big ask lol

I want to use this for bass guitar & don't need that much distortion. Ideally I'd like a 'blend' control knob instead of 'tone' & maybe less 'gain' and hopefully not lose too much low-end esp as I play 5 string ....

Is this something any of you could do ? Or could you steer me in the right direction regarding DIY ? Any help / suggestions welcome ... I know I could just buy a B3K but don't like the Boss just collecting dust ......

cheers

Simon
[/quote]

Probably best off building a Tube Sound Fuzz and a clean blend and working from there. The Boss achieves its tone in a different way to the Darkglass. That said, you've got the Boss there so experiment away. I've got the guts from a DS1 I won't use (i needed the enclosure!) You can have if you cover postage in case it doesn't go right on yours!

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1382141292' post='2248716']
I really need to find time to build some pedals, work is pretty much an electronics sweetshop, boss has said I can help myself to passives, stripboard, the cheaper IC's and pots, pretty much the only things I'd need to buy are enclosures and footswitches....
[/quote]

Thats what my dad is like, he's the electronics head technician at a college, so I get my pick of passives, wire, Vero and switches, have to find the more obscure stuff myself, although he did come back with a bunch of silver micas for me. Nom!

Si

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1382122209' post='2248417'] Hi Pete, With the pot lugs facing you and the pot shaft facing up, the lugs are 1-3 left to right. The metal tab allows you to drill a second hole in the enclosure for this to slot into. Chances are you'll want to snap it off with some pliers and forget the second hole. Hope that helps! Tom [/quote]

Hi Tom,

Yes, that's very helpful, I can now see what I need to do to finish the build off. Many thanks for your reply.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1378059767' post='2195321']

Now the brand is one thing.... but sadowsky, aguilar, alleva copollo etc, their two band on board preamps - everytime you hear about them they are "the best preamp ever" - I wonder how, different can the cuircuit schematics and parts of a two band preamp be? like at the end of the day it's going to be a shelving (?) eq at a certain frequency and a certain Q value. Where does the "magic" of the sound come from?
[/quote]

I think there's probably more to pre-amp design than meets the eye.

If I were going to build a pre-amp, I think an interesting starting point would be the one in the Yamaha Nathan East BBNE2 . I'm lucky enough to own one of these and in my opinion it's the best sounding bass I've ever heard, which must have something to do with the pre-amp.

The pre-amp circuit and a list of all the components is included in the Yamaha Service manual. I think it would be an interesting project to build one of these - obviously you wouldn't need the active circuits on the pickups, but the rest of it seems feasible. It's a long-term project to take the circuit diagram, stick it into TinyCAD/VEECAD and see what the layout would look like. The service manual also includes the Yamaha PCB design but I think reproducing that would be beyond my abilities.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1382781571' post='2256454']
I think there's probably more to pre-amp design than meets the eye.

If I were going to build a pre-amp, I think an interesting starting point would be the one in the Yamaha Nathan East BBNE2 . I'm lucky enough to own one of these and in my opinion it's the best sounding bass I've ever heard, which must have something to do with the pre-amp.

The pre-amp circuit and a list of all the components is included in the Yamaha Service manual. I think it would be an interesting project to build one of these - obviously you wouldn't need the active circuits on the pickups, but the rest of it seems feasible. It's a long-term project to take the circuit diagram, stick it into TinyCAD/VEECAD and see what the layout would look like. The service manual also includes the Yamaha PCB design but I think reproducing that would be beyond my abilities.
[/quote] or even the Yamaha PB1 preamp that noelk was saying was good on another thread

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1382787139' post='2256534']
Isn't the Yamaha NE1 just the pedal version of his pre? Or just the mid-shape? (Not looked at the bass layout)

Si
[/quote]
The NE1, I have no idea. The NE2 pre-amp is different - it has 3-band EQ plus a mid-cut frequency that you can switch in and out.