Why become a member? ×

DIY Effects

JackLondon

Finished off my first Fuzz pedal at the weekend... It's just a simple Jeds Peds kit and to be honest, I only built this one to gain some experience soldering again as it's been a while. Sounds exactly like a one knob fuzz pedal... pretty horrid :D. I was going to get my guys at work to powder coat it... but I quite like the unfinished look... I may have taken artistic licence with the name as well!

312440140_10160448090916779_5645107783576732444_n.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I always forget how much I hate off board wiring 

50499E70-9D59-4BE9-8571-B3CED7AADC2D.jpeg

E361389B-6C37-420F-BBF4-718DA43C5543.jpeg

It only bloody works!! 

currently using the only tube I have (telefunken German ECC82) which sounds nice and warm - a lot less gain than a 12ax7/ECC83 would have - it will also take 6n1p and 6n2p so if I want to get into tube rolling I could 

11 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I always forget how much I hate off board wiring 

50499E70-9D59-4BE9-8571-B3CED7AADC2D.jpeg

E361389B-6C37-420F-BBF4-718DA43C5543.jpeg

That looks MONSTER. What is it?

I hate off board wiring too - I think people that do it a lot get really good at measuring ang guiding the wires - I always end up with a big surplus loop. I do a lot of DIY modular synth and some of the modules I've bought from other people - the wiring is so clean it makes me want to cry!

1 minute ago, bloke_zero said:

That looks MONSTER. What is it?

I hate off board wiring too - I think people that do it a lot get really good at measuring ang guiding the wires - I always end up with a big surplus loop. I do a lot of DIY modular synth and some of the modules I've bought from other people - the wiring is so clean it makes me want to cry!

I just know it's not my skill... same with painting a room, I'll paint a large room in 10% of the time my wife would take - but I'm hopeless at cutting in neatly. My day job is as a designer and the idea of solving the problem and designing everything in on one PCB appeals to me.

It's a Frog FX1 https://frogpedals.com/index.php/product/frog-tube-preamp-fx1-ruggedized/ which is essentially a Fender Dual Showman / Alembic F2b Preamp preamp running at 450v inside

1 minute ago, bloke_zero said:

Oh, I zoomed in - Frog preamp. How's it sounding?

I just FOUND a Huges and Kettner Blues Master left out on a neighbours wall to take - they'd put the wrong valves in it 🤷‍♂️

what had they put in? 

2 hours ago, Bigwan said:

Pedalparts.co.uk or Musikding.de

Musikding has a MASSIVE range, just be careful that not all their kits include the PCB, which needs to be added to the order separately.

Plus one for both suggestions - they are both really helpful. Pedal parts is more clones and versions of clones (though they do some originals), Musikding feels like it has a wider range of original designs.

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I just know it's not my skill... same with painting a room, I'll paint a large room in 10% of the time my wife would take - but I'm hopeless at cutting in neatly. My day job is as a designer and the idea of solving the problem and designing everything in on one PCB appeals to me.

It's a Frog FX1 https://frogpedals.com/index.php/product/frog-tube-preamp-fx1-ruggedized/ which is essentially a Fender Dual Showman / Alembic F2b Preamp preamp running at 450v inside

Congratulations - it doesn't look like an easy build - especially having to source all the components. 450 Volts from 9V - wow!

• Thanks 1