Why become a member? ×

GuitarGuitar - Birmingham opening

EBS_freak

I'm in Stafford so B'ham is a 40mins drive or a train away (when not shopping!) -- are the music shops there any good?

I've been to "Reverb" it was quite good but I wasn't buying, we ended up there after a shop we were looking for (under the arches up the road, whose name I can't remember, sorry) had closed.

This should be a good place to go, oui?

[quote name='Steve Amadeo' post='755234' date='Feb 23 2010, 05:27 PM']Oh bugger.

Only two minute drive from my house...[/quote]

I've spoken to the guys in the know and they are stocking some serious guitar toys. No news on the bass front yet though :)

Shall keep you posted when I find out more!

[quote name='Rosh' post='755201' date='Feb 23 2010, 05:08 PM']I'm in Stafford so B'ham is a 40mins drive or a train away (when not shopping!) -- are the music shops there any good?

I've been to "Reverb" it was quite good but I wasn't buying, we ended up there after a shop we were looking for (under the arches up the road, whose name I can't remember, sorry) had closed.

This should be a good place to go, oui?[/quote]

The Birmingham Bass Centre used to be under the arches on Livery St (along with another couple of shops that seem to be long gone).

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='755622' date='Feb 23 2010, 10:54 PM']The Birmingham Bass Centre used to be under the arches on Livery St (along with another couple of shops that seem to be long gone).[/quote]

City Music still lives on though...!

the brum stores are rubbish,in my opinion..
be nice to go somewhere thats got something worth buying..
and hopefully people worth talkin to,rather than students who know nowt..

my brother collected a Bognor exctasy from their newcastle store and they were a great bunch of people,who looked liked theyd been picked for their knowledge..

Edited by jimijimmi

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='755673' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:47 PM']City Music still lives on though...![/quote]

Yeah but it's not what it used to be. I remember when they used to stock all sorts of stuff - they had a big selection of Heritage guitars way back when, but the last time I went in there, which is only about 6 monhts ago, the fella behind the counter was more interested in talking to his mate about the local music scene than to sell me what I wanted - so I went elsewhere. Sad really

I was in the Edinburgh GuitarGuitar store a couple of weeks back looking at P-basses. At that point in time they had very little in stock because a lot of the new gear they were getting in from dealers and some of what they already had in stock was being packaged up to ship down to the new B'ham store. I would imagine there should be a good selection of stuff available.

There was a very nice 2nd hand 2008 USA P-bass that was supposed to be going down as well, if anyone is looking for the like. Excellent condition, but sadly for me it had a maple board and I was after something with rosewood.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='755969' date='Feb 24 2010, 12:02 PM']Yeah but it's not what it used to be. I remember when they used to stock all sorts of stuff - they had a big selection of Heritage guitars way back when, but the last time I went in there, which is only about 6 monhts ago, the fella behind the counter was more interested in talking to his mate about the local music scene than to sell me what I wanted - so I went elsewhere. Sad really[/quote]

I know... the old days when Musical Exchanges, Bass Centre, City Music were all thriving (of course with Patrick Eggle around the corner) have long since gone. Hopefully guitarguitar will help change things. Knowing a couple of guys involved in the new venture, they have high hopes as they are going for a more top end market than the other guys in the market. I can't wait to see a Suhr dealer in the city.

In defence of City Music, they were the only guys in the city who could sell me some 6L6 valves in an hour of need - the only other guys who could have got some to me was probably Phil et al at Pacific Audio... but they weren't open. Having said that, they rarely bat an eyelid when anybody enters the shop...

What's really crap is that about a month ago, I phoned EVERY retailer in the area trying to source a set of bass strings for a 5 string. I couldn't find one set let alone start thinking about gauges. Pretty piss poor in my book. No wonder the internet is becoming everybody's first call...

Good Morning Guys,

Hope you are all well?
Not been on this for a while, how is everyone's Tecamp gear?
It has been a busy few months for us at guitarguitar and this Monday will see our 4th store open in Birmingham (100 Hagley Road).

I've been down twice and it is looking pretty impressive. There 'should' be parking right outside the door of the shop too. With regards to gear, there is hundreds of guitars on the wall and it is likely that this store will 'eventually' also stock our largest selection of bass gear (as several members of staff are bassists too).

The main man running the store is guy called "Steve Mills". He has been in the industry for a while and really complements our team, he has also previously worked for Line 6 and Fender Custom Shop for several years.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Mark @ guitarguitar