Why become a member? ×

Short-scale suggestions

noisedude

I'm an Ibanez man but I guess I could try something different ........ Looking for suggestions on fairly cheap short-scale basses I could try out. I think I might get on quite well with them but obviously there's only one way to find out!

New or 2nd hand, just some ideas on what isn't rubbish that I could give a try.

Ive got a Squire Bronco, based on the Fender Mustang. Its served me well for a few years. Ive had a little trouble with the E string but tweeks here and there i've got it sorted.

Short scale open things up when it comes to writing music, i'm looking at buying a fender precision but I think I will always use the bronco for writing riffs.

Mark.

[quote name='noisedude' post='749451' date='Feb 18 2010, 11:28 AM']I'm an Ibanez man but I guess I could try something different ........ Looking for suggestions on fairly cheap short-scale basses I could try out. I think I might get on quite well with them but obviously there's only one way to find out!

New or 2nd hand, just some ideas on what isn't rubbish that I could give a try.[/quote]
Hi

Im in Leeds and I have a couple of short scale 30" ( Landing L1 and Mustang Hybrid ) and a couple of Medium scales 32" ( Vantage Japan VS series and a Japan Squier P-Bass ) that you are welcome to come and try out!

Will.

[quote name='2x18' post='749905' date='Feb 18 2010, 04:01 PM']Hi

Im in Leeds and I have a couple of short scale 30" ( Landing L1 and Mustang Hybrid ) and a couple of Medium scales 32" ( Vantage Japan VS series and a Japan Squier P-Bass ) that you are welcome to come and try out!

Will.[/quote]

Landing are one of the few people who seem to make a 32" five string, so I'd be interested what you think of your Landing even though I know its a 30" 4 string.

[quote name='7string' post='749715' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:18 PM']How about a Mexican Fender Urge Mk1. Brilliant little thing.[/quote]

I'm just about to part with +/- £600 for one of these: [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-bass-faded-bass-guitar-faded-cherry--64012"]Gibson SG (Short Scale)[/url].

Hi 7string,

Is the Fender Mexican Urge still available?

I thought that Fender only did Brinco and Mustang as a short scale!

Help before I part with the dosh, I've put a deposit on it last week to pick up this Saturday.

Oggy :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='749914' date='Feb 18 2010, 04:13 PM']Landing are one of the few people who seem to make a 32" five string, so I'd be interested what you think of your Landing even though I know its a 30" 4 string.[/quote]
It is a terrific bass that oozes quality, the workmanship is top class, the finish is like glass and it has a very fast slim neck and of course it sounds good too.
I put a set of Ti flats on when I bought it a couple of years ago and it was my main gigging bass until very recently.
Its also very light but well balanced.
If you are ever in the area you are welcome to try it out, and check the quality for yourself!

Will.

You guys are great. I'm drowning in work right now so I might not be advancing too far on this before Easter. :)

The Urge is one I definitely was interested in ...... not seen the Hagstrom yet though. And Bronco/Mustang and Epi/Gibbo go on my list too, though I like 'odd' things (read "I want to be different so I can snootily espouse clichés .... because I apparently never stopped being a teenager") so the others might be more up my street.

As for a 32" 5-string, that could well be the guitar of my dreams. So I need to find out more about Landing.

Thanks for the kind offers from my fellow Yorkshire dwellers, if I don't take you up on them before then, perhaps a chance encounter at an upcoming Bass Bash could be in order?

Nik

[quote name='Oggy' post='749930' date='Feb 18 2010, 04:26 PM']I thought that Fender only did Brinco and Mustang as a short scale![/quote]

I'm pretty sure the Bronco* and the Mustang are the only Official short scale basses from Fender, any others you see are put together abroad from other models. Some shops make a series of guitars they put together. Japan and places like that, this makes them rare and you might only see the odd one on eBay or something. They wont have serial codes.
Stick to the officials if you ask me.

Correct me if i'm wrong

[quote name='Oggy' post='749930' date='Feb 18 2010, 04:26 PM']I'm just about to part with +/- £600 for one of these: [url="http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-bass-faded-bass-guitar-faded-cherry--64012"]Gibson SG (Short Scale)[/url].

Hi 7string,

Is the Fender Mexican Urge still available?

I thought that Fender only did Brinco and Mustang as a short scale!

Help before I part with the dosh, I've put a deposit on it last week to pick up this Saturday.

Oggy :)[/quote]
Hi
The Mexican Urge is a Medium scale 32" not short scale! ---I had one until about 12 months ago.

Call me a sucker but this has caught my eye .........
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-AGB200-TBR-AGB-200-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Bass_W0QQitemZ390155788973QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item5ad718e2ad"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-AGB200-TBR-AG...=item5ad718e2ad[/url]

[quote name='noisedude' post='749949' date='Feb 18 2010, 04:41 PM']You guys are great. I'm drowning in work right now so I might not be advancing too far on this before Easter. :)

The Urge is one I definitely was interested in ...... not seen the Hagstrom yet though. And Bronco/Mustang and Epi/Gibbo go on my list too, though I like 'odd' things (read "I want to be different so I can snootily espouse clichés .... because I apparently never stopped being a teenager") so the others might be more up my street.

As for a 32" 5-string, that could well be the guitar of my dreams. So I need to find out more about Landing.

Thanks for the kind offers from my fellow Yorkshire dwellers, if I don't take you up on them before then, perhaps a chance encounter at an upcoming Bass Bash could be in order?

Nik[/quote]

As someone just said, the Urge Mk1 is actually 32" (sadly the Urge Mk2 was 34"). I have a Mexican and a USA one and they are both brilliant. Obviously the USA one has a few more bells and whistles, extra pickup, nicer tuners etc etc. but in terms of fundamental playability there is very little to choose between them.

I'd thoroughly recommend either of them. And they both come up on Ebay from time to time (not often). Both of mine came from there.The Mex was about £350 (Which I think was probably over the odds, but I was desperate one). The USA one was about £600, which was probably about right).

[quote name='area_bass' post='750024' date='Feb 18 2010, 05:53 PM']I'm pretty sure the Bronco* and the Mustang are the only Official short scale basses from Fender, any others you see are put together abroad from other models. Some shops make a series of guitars they put together. Japan and places like that, this makes them rare and you might only see the odd one on eBay or something. They wont have serial codes.
Stick to the officials if you ask me.

Correct me if i'm wrong[/quote]

Fender Musicmaster is short scale

[quote name='lozbass' post='749471' date='Feb 18 2010, 11:43 AM']Daneletro Longhorn - they don't sound great (IMO) but they're incredibly light, super-fast, and good fun. I think they look really cool too. If you win the lottery, I can't recommend an Alembic SC sufficiently highly (and there's a lovely one for sale on BC!)[/quote]

I agree except I like the tone you get. Different tastes I guess?

There was a thread a few years ago and a kind gentleman posted the following.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3202&hl=piccolo%20bass&st=20"]Short scale basses[/url]

If you scroll down to post number 40 by "bass_in_ya_face"

I'm not sure how many of these are still available......but you may have fun finding out.

They seem to cover all price ranges from cheap to expensive.

If nothing else you should, like me, find it very educational

• 4 months later...