Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Charvel/Jackson active bass (80's model) incl. hard case!

cetera

With a big purchase on the near horizon and just a little more cash needed for it - I've decided to park with my lovely Charvel/Jackson in very rare slightly sparkly(?) purple!!

It is one of the higher quality thru-neck models from their glory-era, complete with active pickups, heavy duty Jackson bridge and black hardware.

Best described as a P bass on steroids it has an inherent big punchy/growling tone with a huge variation of other tones on offer from a very tight bridge pickup tone to a fuller thumping neck pickup. Controls are Master Volume, Bass cut/boost and Treble cut/boost with a pickup selector switch.

As you can see the condition is generally very good, with just a couple of dings/scratches and the typical ding or two on the headstock....

Weight is approx 8lbs....

I'm looking for a very reasonable *SOLD*. No trades or low offers please.

Pick-up from Central London/Surrey is preferred but will ship by courier of buyers choice & at their expense. *NOW WITH HARD CASE if shipped*.....

Cash on collection or direct bank transfer please.

Check out my feedback thread (linked below) for assurance of a clean, honest transaction.

ROCK on!!! :)

Edited by cetera

I had one of these a couple of years back. Same story as here, really, I saw it and it was just too cheap to pass up. For the money Cetera is asking, I think it would be impossible to find a better quality bass. The only real drawback is the headstock, which can be a bit vulnerable at times because of the length. Some people like to upgrade the pickups/preamp, which are probably a little dated by today's standards, but still sound pretty damn good.

[quote name='Dogame' post='749236' date='Feb 18 2010, 05:05 AM']Made in Japan to my knowledge, and beautifully constructed. 80s hair metal Bump[/quote]

Yep. made in Japan. The model number is 3B.

The 1B was bolt-on with a single P pickup. The 2B bolt-on with P/J (I cant' remember if it was active or passive). The 3B is neck-through, P/J and with a preamp.

[quote name='Shockwave' post='749095' date='Feb 17 2010, 11:05 PM']Oooohhh. Damn no trades/part exs? :)

Oh i still want your Hamer Impact![/quote]

Sorry mate, need the dosh!
That Hamer Impact isn't going ANYWHERE..... lol! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the kind words chaps.... it really is a great bass for such a stupidly cheap price.

SO...... which one of you buggers is gonna realise that resistance is futile and you NEED this in your arsenal?!? lol! :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='Shockwave' post='749697' date='Feb 18 2010, 02:04 PM']So how heavy is it, and how does it play?[/quote]

It's approx 8lbs and it plays well with a solid neck feel and a comfortable action. :)

[quote name='bassaussie' post='749311' date='Feb 18 2010, 09:30 AM']Yep. made in Japan. The model number is 3B.

The 1B was bolt-on with a single P pickup. The 2B bolt-on with P/J (I cant' remember if it was active or passive). The 3B is neck-through, P/J and with a preamp.[/quote]

I've got a 2B model which was passive, but has active Reflex Reds in it. The P Bass on steroids is an apt description. The 3B model here is a bargain for anyone who is serious.

I dont' worry about the headstock, but our guitarist does!

[attachment=43024:charvel.jpg]

[quote name='mep' post='750253' date='Feb 18 2010, 09:47 PM']I've got a 2B model which was passive, but has active Reflex Reds in it. The P Bass on steroids is an apt description. The 3B model here is a bargain for anyone who is serious.

I dont' worry about the headstock, but our guitarist does!

[attachment=43024:charvel.jpg][/quote]

Those Reflex pickups were brilliant. Whatever happened to that brand?

[quote name='bassaussie' post='750258' date='Feb 18 2010, 09:52 PM']Those Reflex pickups were brilliant. Whatever happened to that brand?[/quote]

I think Reflex stopped making pickups some time ago. They pop on on the net with people asking about them These were a big improvement over the standard passive pickups. To be honest I don't use the bridge pickup as the P pups are full and fat. The whole system is LOUD. It is louder than any bass I've ever played or owned. I always have to turn the input gain down on my Trace Head when plugging it in, even compared to my Stingray.

Bit of a story with my Charvel regarding the Reflex Pickups and pre amp. I got them installed around 1990. I was taking lessons at the Bass Tech in London with Rob Burns, after Joe Hubbard left. He suggested them and I ordered a set and we replaced them during a lesson.

[quote name='Kev' post='751367' date='Feb 19 2010, 09:05 PM']how do you currently have the action set at the 12th? Pretty tempted by this :)[/quote]

If it's anything like mine it's plenty low enough, and fast enough as the neck is smooth. You won't regret it.

[quote name='Kev' post='751367' date='Feb 19 2010, 09:05 PM']how do you currently have the action set at the 12th? Pretty tempted by this :)[/quote]

I can't get to it to measure it over the next few days......but take it as read that it is low enough to be very playable without fretbuzz.... :rolleyes:

I'm getting some other interest in this offline so if anyone's tempted it may not be here much longer at this price.... :lol:

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='751486' date='Feb 20 2010, 12:05 AM']I would have killed for this back in the late 80's :ph34r:

still a quality bass though, I don't think you will have it for much longer.[/quote]

I just bought mine new in black back in the 80's. Although I would kill anyone who tried to nick mine now.