Why become a member? ×

Ibanez lovers.

Les

Decided to retire the Ray and get a new bass for gigging. Tried an SR500 today and was delighted. It's more playable than a playable thing being playable on playability awareness day.. Loved the sound as well.

BUT, now I'm home I'm thinking "did it have the depth of the Ray?"

Had none of these doubts at all while I was playing it and I'm starting to think it's all in my mind, as in, something that light and slim can't have the depth of my big heavy MMan.

Thankfully, being the [s]wise[/s] old bass player that I am I went looking at basses before my tax rebate has cleared on Monday, otherwise I would already be the proud owner of an SR500, an SR300 and an Ergodyne thingymajig.

Go on ! I only need a little push :)

I've played all the main makes of bass in playing life. My first bass was an Ibanez PJ and I haven't sold it because it is so special. My two basses which I use are both Ibanez. Basically, I'm persistent and patient enough* to be able to get any bass I want, and Ibanez are the basses I want.

*But not rich enough, sadly, to do this without a long waiting period.

On the whole Ibby necks are too narrow and slender for my big dopey hands. That being said otherwise they are cracking basses. They are well put together have excellent QC and are very easily set up ad generally hold that set up very well. They respond very well to the subtle nuances of change of tone by differing string types and gauges.

If I was offered a top end Ibby against a Fender I'd take the Ibby.

[quote name='noisedude' post='742416' date='Feb 11 2010, 07:23 PM']Mine is great. Like, really great.[/quote]

I have an SR500 from 2004-ish. Very similar to the current model but I [i]think[/i] the pickups are slightly closer to the bridge than more recent versions. Personally I think the MK1s sound muddy and lacking in genuine punch. But fitting a pair of Nordstrand Big Singles and ditching the pre has transformed it into a passive uberbass. I don't know of anyone else who has tried this particular combination, I assume no-one thinks it's worth it on a bass this cheap...you are all wrong.

Ibanez. Not to be sniffed at. I love my SRX700. I loved my EDB600 until I broke it (Luthite is quite brittle, it would seem!)
Played a super ATK recently, and think SR500s really are a benchmark at their pricepoint.

Versus a Musicman?
As much character? No.
As good-looking? Not really. It's hardly iconic.
Versatility? Definitely favouring the Ibanez, here!
Playability/comfort? Evens. Maybe slightly favouring the Ibanez again.
Cost? You can get 3 SR500s for the cost of a 'Ray!

PS I also own a 'Ray 5!

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='742599' date='Feb 11 2010, 10:27 PM']I have an SR500 from 2004-ish. Very similar to the current model but I [i]think[/i] the pickups are slightly closer to the bridge than more recent versions. Personally I think the MK1s sound muddy and lacking in genuine punch. But fitting a pair of Nordstrand Big Singles and ditching the pre has transformed it into a passive uberbass. I don't know of anyone else who has tried this particular combination, I assume no-one thinks it's worth it on a bass this cheap...you are all wrong.[/quote]
I don't own an SR500 thought I've played a couple.

Great to play, love how the finish will wear away where you rest your thumb, makes it feel like yours relatively quickly. Not blown away with the tone so might consider upgrades; frankly, at that price, I could justify some changes.

My DWB-3 with EMGs plays like the bass of my dreams, fits like a glove and feels like home, and sounds pretty good too. Yeah, it's not got classic Fender tones, but I didn't buy it for that.

Les

Sold my P bass yesterday and went down and spent the cash on an ATK300. Great bass, can do a passable imitation of a stingray and a P bass. Lots of sounds available. I`ve had a SR500 in the past and this thing is much better. Wouldn`t say that it`s the best looking bass in the world, looks huge but the body is roughly the same size as a jazz and is nice and light due to the ash body.
The neck on it is well chunky though but it`s worth it! Cant wait to crank it up!!!

Jez :)