Why become a member? ×

Why do people keep requesting tabs in this forum?

Oscar South

[quote name='ped' post='736565' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:14 PM']Well, there's not THAT many... and I guess people like them as a rough guide or a starting point from which to learn a particular song...[/quote]

In that case Google is your friend.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='736610' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:59 PM']I just think there should be a 'Transcription and Tablature' subforum to keep this one from getting cluttered up by requests.[/quote]

If there was a sub forum with transcription and tabs then there's a chance the RIAA/PRS would try and shut the site down.

All for the sake of someone just not reading a thread that normally if not always is clearly stated in the thread title.

Kinda selfish IMHO.

[quote name='ped' post='736565' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:14 PM']Well, there's not THAT many... and I guess people like them as a rough guide or a starting point from which to learn a particular song...[/quote]
+1 - tabs may not be perfect but they can be a starting point and save members a bit of time when they need to learn songs in a hurry.....

[quote name='peteb' post='736675' date='Feb 5 2010, 09:17 PM']+1 - tabs may not be perfect but they can be a starting point and save members a bit of time when they need to learn songs in a hurry.....[/quote]

No argument here, this isn't that debate. I'd just like to see the theory and technique forum used for discussing theory and technique.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='736610' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:59 PM']I just think there should be a 'Transcription and Tablature' subforum to keep this one from getting cluttered up by requests.[/quote]

I just think there should be a 'complaints about transcription and tablature' subforum to keep this one from getting cluttered up by complaints about transcription and tablature

[quote name='Beedster' post='736818' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:55 PM']I just think there should be a 'complaints about transcription and tablature' subforum to keep this one from getting cluttered up by complaints about transcription and tablature[/quote]

I've no problem with transcription and tablature, I even edited the subtitle because I could see that this was going to turn into *that* debate again

[quote name='Faithless' post='736568' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:16 PM']It p1sses me off also..

I find this section one of the most interesting ones, but those 'tab ones' just put me down..

Can't we sort anything for those tab-lovers?[/quote]

we could burn them! :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='736818' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:55 PM']I just think there should be a 'complaints about transcription and tablature' subforum to keep this one from getting cluttered up by complaints about transcription and tablature[/quote]

:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='The_D' post='736661' date='Feb 5 2010, 11:01 PM']If there was a sub forum with transcription and tabs then there's a chance the RIAA/PRS would try and shut the site down.

All for the sake of someone just not reading a thread that normally if not always is clearly stated in the thread title.

Kinda selfish IMHO.[/quote]

Wtf is RIAA and PRS?

[quote name='Faithless' post='737234' date='Feb 6 2010, 02:29 PM']Wtf is RIAA and PRS?[/quote]
RIAA = [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_Industry_Association_of_America"]Recording Industry Association of America[/url]
PRS = Performing Right Society (now called [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRS_for_Music"]PRS for Music[/url])

The requests probably get posted in T&T because it gets a better response than in other sub forums. Post it in some of the others it gets overlooked.

Personally I don't have a problem with it, but that's probably because i've posted for tab here :)

[quote name='Faithless' post='736568' date='Feb 5 2010, 07:16 PM']It p1sses me off also..

I find this section one of the most interesting ones, but those 'tab ones' just put me down..

Can't we sort anything for those tab-lovers?[/quote]

Wow,you sound like a complete @rse.

Just because some people don't have the time or inclinations to learn songs by ear or read the dots doesn't mean you can think your superior.

Oh, and just because you can, its never going to put feeling into you lifeless sterile playing

Edited by jake_tenfloors

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='737937' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:30 AM']Oh, and just because you can, its never going to put feeling into you lifeless sterile playing[/quote]
When/where have you heard our Lithuanian friend play? Or is this one of those baseless notions that somehow being able to read music makes all your playing lifeless and sterile? Cos I think Jamerson, Pastorius and Flea (pick whichever one(s) you like) probably put paid to that notion a long while ago.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='737990' date='Feb 7 2010, 12:11 PM']When/where have you heard our Lithuanian friend play? Or is this one of those baseless notions that somehow being able to read music makes all your playing lifeless and sterile? Cos I think Jamerson, Pastorius and Flea (pick whichever one(s) you like) probably put paid to that notion a long while ago.[/quote]

I've never said anything about reading notation. As it happens, i spend an hour minimum a day on sightreading skills.
And here,

Oh, and flea can't read music, well he couldn't through all the albums up to bssm.

Edited by jake_tenfloors

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='738005' date='Feb 7 2010, 12:36 PM']I've never said anything about reading notation. As it happens, i spend an hour minimum a day on sightreading skills.
And here,

[/quote]
OK, Jake, I misunderstood your post's intentions. My apologies. I'll have to check out the playing later. Sorry for the slight thread derail, people.

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='737937' date='Feb 7 2010, 11:30 AM']Wow,you sound like a complete @rse.

Just because some people don't have the time or inclinations to learn songs by ear or read the dots doesn't mean you can think your superior.

Oh, and just because you can, its never going to put feeling into you lifeless sterile playing[/quote]
Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black :)
The point being made is, you could argue that tab is neither theory nor technique, so why's it in the theory and technique section? There's absolutely no need to start slagging off other people's playing, especially since he's not said the words you're putting in his mouth. Like the title says, its not a commentary on the relative merits of tab and notation. Chill.

But that's not what the thread is about.
Read the OP. I assume the same logic would apply to requests for notated transcriptions- IE, it should be somewhere else.

Personally it doesn't bother me either way but its a bit irritating to see the original question devolve into tab vs notation bickering.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='738074' date='Feb 7 2010, 01:35 PM']But that's not what the thread is about.
Read the OP. I assume the same logic would apply to requests for notated transcriptions- IE, it should be somewhere else.

Personally it doesn't bother me either way but its a bit irritating to see the original question devolve into tab vs notation bickering.[/quote]

Thank you, I'm glad someone got the point of this thread. Should have seen it coming really.