Why become a member? ×

I dont like my band - standard rant number 202

thunderbird13

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='734867' date='Feb 4 2010, 11:04 AM']Given this is a Hawkwind tribute, you should stay 'in character'. Depart in the manner favoured by their erstwhile bass player, Mr Lemmy Kilmister.

Arrive home from jail in the States, go round and shag all their wives.[/quote]

Didn`t one of their guitarist say he was popping out for something and the next time they seen him, it was 5 years later. Huw Lloyd something or other. More than likley tripping his t*ts off.

Jez :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='735177' date='Feb 4 2010, 03:57 PM']Didn`t one of their guitarist say he was popping out for something and the next time they seen him, it was 5 years later.[/quote]

Every guitarist does this at some point in their life. Some do it all the time. Huw Lloyd Langton's been popping in and out of Hawkwind virtually since the start.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='732742' date='Feb 2 2010, 11:54 AM']I'm amazed you're still sticking it out. It seems that as far as the guitarist is concerned it you are not a band member but a hired hand. I've been in that situation myself in only one band out of all the bands I've been in and it was completely soul destroying.

Being told to play this or that bassline and if I deviate from it it's "why are you playing that" pissed me off more than anything else I've experienced in a band ever. Above all else band members should have a degree of mutual respect for each other and it sounds like that is completely lacking. If you are a hired hand then you should be asking the "band leader" how much he is going to pay you for your time.

It also sounds like one of your main reasons for staying in this band is that you lack confidence in your own ability. That's something most musicians go through at some time or another, I know I did for many years. It's the fear of not being able to find another band so you stay unhappy in the one you're in. It's easy for someone to say you should tell them to stick it but once you are not in a band it feels like a much bigger hill to climb to get back in one. Unfortunately only experience will build your confidence but in a few years you will look back and think "Why the hell did I stay with that twat for so long".

The only way to overcome that is to just get out and look. Put ads or answer ads in Partysounds, Gumtree, Musofinder, Adtrader, Bandmix and JoinMyBand and just communicate with other musicians. You will usually be talking by email so you're not under any pressure or obligation to go along with anything. Just remember there are more bands and people looking for bassists than there are bassists available. In no time at all you will find other people with a better attitude who you will get along with socially just as well, and if it doesn't work out there is always another band around the corner and you will have more experience on your playing CV.[/quote]

Hear hear. In a previous band, only once did the band leader tell me what lines to play - I walked after that.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='735216' date='Feb 4 2010, 04:31 PM']Every guitarist does this at some point in their life. Some do it all the time. Huw Lloyd Langton's been popping in and out of Hawkwind virtually since the start.[/quote]

Wasn't it Jeremy Spencer who left a Fleetwood Mac session and has never touched base with them since?

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='732645' date='Feb 2 2010, 10:30 AM']In that case, he's not changing direction. He's terminating the old band and starting a new one. Act accordingly.

How do the other band members feel? Maybe they actually want to be in a Hawkwind tribute band. In which case, start a "new" Hawkwind tribute band and poach the lot of them.

S.P.[/quote]

nice - :)

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='732645' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:15 PM']In that case, he's not changing direction. He's terminating the old band and starting a new one. Act accordingly.

How do the other band members feel? Maybe they actually want to be in a Hawkwind tribute band. In which case, start a "new" Hawkwind tribute band and poach the lot of them.

S.P.[/quote]

what do i do if i want to find a new band how do i organise a meeting :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='732636' date='Feb 2 2010, 10:25 AM']Sorry guys just want to get this off my chest – it supposed to be therapeutic

Rant mode on -

Been playing in a Hawkwind tribute band for about 9 months now at the start it was hard to remember all the bass parts but I put the work in and got up to a reasonable standard enough to play my first gig with then in December. Now my band leader has announced that he’s changing direction and writing all his own stuff, including the bass lines which he wants me to play without any additional input from me.
OK I thought I have to be realistic I’m not that good and after a year of playing I don’t think I have improved much so I’m pretty much stuck at a level somewhere rank beginner and average. So why not just accept it learn his stuff and get on with it – at least I’m still in a band.
But it’s beginning to get me down – his new stuff isn’t that good and frankly I’m getting bored playing it and I have some resentment to not being allowed to change it to make it more interesting. Try as hard as I can I just cant get excited about it
I have enquired about 2 more bands that have advertised for a bass player recently but after 2 or 3 emails both of them have gone quiet, which is similar to the experience I have this time last year. It took me about a year to find a band and now it looks like its going to be the same again. TBH I really don’t know if I can be bothered with it anymore.

Rant mode off -

Thank you for your time - now about your business :)[/quote]

I recently left a band I was bored with, (Been with them 15 years), looked around for a few weeks, but nothing stood out, so I'm in the process of forming a completely new band - something I once said I'd never do again.
I'd forgotten what a buzz it is to be playing with new musicians, having new ideas and everyone enthusiastic.

Give the Partysounds site a try - plenty of folks of all skill levels on there looking to make music.

We've all been there - fed up and seemingly nowhere to go, but stick at it and you'll find something you're happy with

Well I looked at all the advice here and took decided that I all I wanted to do was play Hawkwind and I wasnt that fussed about playing original material. So last night I met up with the guitarist to tell him this. However I wasn’t quite prepared for his reaction. From what I can remember the conversation went something like

Me - I’m sorry mate but I’m just not into the stuff your doing now and all I really want is to play Hawkwind

Him – I see where your coming from but I cant play anymore Hawkwind as we already play it

Me – eh ?

Him – well we have another bass player who we play with and we gig Hawkwind stuff with him instead

Me – So what was I in the band for

Him – well the other bassist and the drummer argue a lot so it’s better to keep them apart when we rehearse !

So it was all bit smoke and mirrors and I wasn’t even in the band I thought I was in all along :)

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='735177' date='Feb 4 2010, 03:57 PM']Didn`t one of their guitarist say he was popping out for something and the next time they seen him, it was 5 years later. Huw Lloyd something or other. More than likley tripping his t*ts off.

Jez :)[/quote]

You were close with the name, it was actually Huw Llolyd-Langton. According to Lemmy (this was before he joined, but apparently he was hanging around with them at the time), they were around a campfire, all on acid, and he said he was going for a walk :rolleyes: Sheer brilliance, that's how you leave a band in style.

@ the OP, wow, that's awful. I hope you told them where to go, they can't go treating people like that. Good luck if you're starting up a new tribute band, hopefully you can avoid such situations in future.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='740661' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:28 AM']Well I looked at all the advice here and took decided that I all I wanted to do was play Hawkwind and I wasnt that fussed about playing original material. So last night I met up with the guitarist to tell him this. However I wasn’t quite prepared for his reaction. From what I can remember the conversation went something like

Me - I’m sorry mate but I’m just not into the stuff your doing now and all I really want is to play Hawkwind

Him – I see where your coming from but I cant play anymore Hawkwind as we already play it

Me – eh ?

Him – well we have another bass player who we play with and we gig Hawkwind stuff with him instead

Me – So what was I in the band for

Him – well the other bassist and the drummer argue a lot so it’s better to keep them apart when we rehearse !

So it was all bit smoke and mirrors and I wasn’t even in the band I thought I was in all along :)[/quote]

Wow, that's a real M. Night Shyamalan ending to the thread lol

Si

If I ever write anything for my band, I always make sure with everyone if it sounds good and for them to be completely honest. I don't understand why someone would assume that their material is good and that someone else would want to play it without any input. I know it's hard, and sometimes it's just luck, but you're better off searching for a band in which you all get along really well with and be honest with each other. Sometimes I write a riff, my friend tells me it's sh*t, we laugh it off then either change the riff until we like it or come up with a new one.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='740661' date='Feb 10 2010, 09:28 AM']So it was all bit smoke and mirrors and I wasn’t even in the band I thought I was in all along :)[/quote]

HOLY CARP! I can't believe it! What a pair of farking corksucking iceholes!!
If you ever see these mind-freaking assclowns again it will be about a billion years too soon IMHO!
Good God, if that happened to me I'd go screaming apeshit and fling my own dung at them like a farking chimp!!