Why become a member? ×

I dont like my band - standard rant number 202

thunderbird13

There's always another option.

Keep the Hawkwind tribute band going but become the 'leader' and get a new musician to fill his place. He's the one who wants to change direction. I assume you have gigs and the rest of you already know the tunes.
Join his band and play his lines (and ask for some pay if your that way inclined and see how long he insists you play them, or play for free for a bit of fun with a mental note to play until it is not fun or you start getting paid)

Why only play in one band? I can't see that you will suddenly get lots of paying gigs in a start up originals band.

Edited by TimR

OP - shank the 'bandleader' and nick the drummer. Go do great things.

[quote name='silddx' post='733458' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:43 PM'][color="#FF0000"][size=7][b]YOU LOT! Would you like to see a Hillage Tribute?[/b][/size][/color][/quote]
[color="#FF0000"][size=7]Yes. Particularly if you're playing guitar in it. Now stop shouting at us, you ancient pothead pixie[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='bassbloke' post='732726' date='Feb 2 2010, 11:42 AM']What makes him 'band leader'? I encounter this phrase all the time but struggle to see how it fits into the grand scheme of things in many bands.

Does he own the rights to the band name, logo, etc...
Does he own publishing rights for all material, etc...
Does he pay the band members a standard salary?

If NOTA appliy and he's not some musical genius, then he's not a 'band leader' per se, just someone with more dominating personality than the rest of the band. If it were me, I'd start standing up to him and if he has a problem with it, he can eject you from the band. Chances are, the other bandmates all feel the same way and none of them has the strength of conviction to stand up to him.[/quote]

Bit of a side track.
The "leader" is usually the person who can be arsed to do all the non playing work involved in playing in a band; organising gigs, rehearsals, PA's, set lists, audiences, marketing etc...

Sometimes it's great to have all that done for you so you can just show up and play the gigs.... The pay-off is that sometimes bad decisions come with the good ones...

[color="#FF0000"][size=6]I think the Hillage band's a fantastic offer[/size] [/color]- in fact do that as well as the ex-Hawkwind one -

My opinion - If you consider that the Hawkwind Tribute is worth persuing - And I have to admit to liking them a hell of a lot - then do it.

There are a number of options here -

1. stick with the band, at least you may get a bit more gigging experience, and try to look for another bband in the mean time

2. leave and look for another band

3. leave and look for musicians to form a band in this vein

4. try and come to a compromise whereby the one band could follow both paths - at least for the time being

5 kill the "band leader", bury him in a shallow grave, deny all knowledge of his whereabouts and replace him.

Hawkwind Tribute - could be a good idea if you couls get a keyboard player, as some of the stuff could sound a bit empty without - unless you concentrate more on the "Calvert" years where they wern't so prominent - Flying Doctor, 25 Years, Steppenwolf etc.

My son is in a similar situation - started playing covers - great - guitard starts to write songs, and insists that the bass just follow the guitar.
I saw them last night, and they played one of these new songs, and the entire 5 minute track consisted of about 5 seperate notes repeated in a sequence of repetative single note runs - absolutely mind numbinly tedious and boring - I found myself working out a nice interesting bas line during the song................

But the guitarist - insists that the only way HIS music is going to be played is how he dictates. - my son has said that he is going to stick with them for the time being, as thay have an audition for the local Rock The Castle gig, but he is looking for another band - maybe more proggy/punky/trad rock style where the bass lines are going to interest him, rather than stick with them until boredom forces him eat his precision, and hang himself with the E string.

Edited by arsenic

[quote name='OldGit' post='733800' date='Feb 3 2010, 09:56 AM']Bit of a side track.
The "leader" is usually the person who can be arsed to do all the non playing work involved in playing in a band; organising gigs, rehearsals, PA's, set lists, audiences, marketing etc...

Sometimes it's great to have all that done for you so you can just show up and play the gigs.... The pay-off is that sometimes bad decisions come with the good ones...[/quote]

That's a bloody good point!! :)

I left a band last week because the guitarist was telling me what to play. If he'd had ideas that were well thought-out I wouldn't mind but basically he wanted me to play whatever he'd been doing with his thumb when he wrote the songs on acoustic guitar, meaning 1 and 5 on boring beats and an almost country-rock feel to everything. No ta.

Shame because the drummer was cracking, and he was obviously bored too.

I have a drummer mate who's joined a covers band where there is only the one way to play things - the guitarist's way.
The drummer's expert input is not required.

So why take on a drummer with a million great chops and 40 year's experience?

Der!

I think he'll be moving on soon.

[quote name='OldGit' post='734072' date='Feb 3 2010, 02:15 PM']I have a drummer mate who's joined a covers band where there is only the one way to play things - the guitarist's way[/quote]

Funny how its usually guitarists who take this attitude... although I have experienced it to a lesser extent from singers too :)

[quote name='chris_b' post='732753' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:01 PM']I the band want to continue as "Hawkwind" just fire the singer.[/quote]

something Hawkwind themselves have done many a time...

anyroad... Hawkwind and Hillage are intertwined... just get on with it... nice segue from one saucer song to another...

must dig out my albums tonight...

Glorious Om Riff ahoy... and some tracks of the Live 79 and Stonehenge albums...

never needed to take any weed to Hawkwind concerts... just got stoned on the secondary smoke from everybody else... (back in late 70's early 80's... no smoking ban then...)

Edited by Paul Cooke

I'd tell him that you joined a Hawkwind tribute band, and thats how you'd like it to stay, and then ask the others for their opinion.

As for the originals band, I wouldn't let a guitarist tell me what to play, unless he came up with something that was better than what I was doing. It always amazes me that guitarists (usually) can think that they know how to play someone elses instrument better than they can! I mean, I wouldn't tell a surgeon how to perform an operation, or a lorry driver how to reverse a 40ft long trailer into Tesco's loading bay.

What I`d like to know is how you can be a Hawkwind tribute band and be a trio!! :rolleyes:

Tell him to stuff it. And the drummer if he`s wanting to go along with the guitarist. I would never let anyone tell me what to play, I can ba*ls it up on my own thank you. If you aren`t happy you should walk. It is supposed to fun after all.

By the way, like the idea of the tea cosy. :)

Jez

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='734579' date='Feb 3 2010, 10:30 PM']What I`d like to know is how you can be a Hawkwind tribute band and be a trio!! :rolleyes:

Tell him to stuff it. And the drummer if he`s wanting to go along with the guitarist. I would never let anyone tell me what to play, I can ba*ls it up on my own thank you. If you aren`t happy you should walk. It is supposed to fun after all.

By the way, like the idea of the tea cosy. :)

Jez[/quote]
The last time I saw Hawkwind (a long , long time ago ,15 years ?) they were a trio.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='734867' date='Feb 4 2010, 11:04 AM']Given this is a Hawkwind tribute, you should stay 'in character'. Depart in the manner favoured by their erstwhile bass player, Mr Lemmy Kilmister.

Arrive home from jail in the States, go round and shag all their wives.[/quote]

+1 :)