Why become a member? ×

Help: Bad blister on the end of my finger and gig tonight

Beedster

We had a very long rehearsal on Wednesday night and played a new track, requiring me to dig in with my 3rd finger, for about an hour. Anyway, yesterday morning I had a pretty big blister, so i did what I always do and pulled it off. This morning it hasn't healed and I've got a very sore patch about 6mm long and 4mm wide at the exact point at which I use the finger to pluck. Unfortunately the gig tonight's a birthday party and the birthday girl is getting up and singing the song in question as the finale, so I've got to play it, in fact, it being a bit of a disco classic (don't ask), I pretty much hold it together! So, should I superglue the finger? I've done it before but not on such raw skin or on such a big wound. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='gary mac' post='713395' date='Jan 15 2010, 08:55 AM']Just go for it and dig in, it will look so cool with blood dripping down the bass and you will be a hero!

Jesting aside, I don't know, would using a pick be an option.

Best of luck with it though.

All the best Gary[/quote]

I'll be a hero just for holding the bass line together! Using a pick isn't an option I'm afraid for two reasons, firstly I would have to be a demon to jump the octaves that quickly, secondly the reason I don't use them is that I always drop them! In fact, I haven't gigged with a pic since 1981!

C

[quote name='aznbass' post='713397' date='Jan 15 2010, 08:58 AM']O god, you have superglued your finger??????????[/quote]

Yep, but usually on the fingers of the left hand when I run them ragged. It's quite common, and when you remember that that Superglue was originally developed to enable military surgeons to close wounds in a hurry, not so odd really (although the commercial product isn't of course made to medical standards)

C

Nasty one. I think I would go for the superglue but I would try to check it out with a doctor (one of those that I know as a friend rather than my GP). There are dedicated products that might be a bit safer, like New Skin. You have to do something, even if it's just a waterproof plaster, or you'll be a bleeding mess on the night.

[quote name='2wheeler' post='713413' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:10 AM']There are dedicated products that might be a bit safer, like New Skin.[/quote]

+1

I've used this in an emergency, will need to re-apply several times but it should get you through.

Good luck!!

[quote name='2wheeler' post='713413' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:10 AM']Nasty one. I think I would go for the superglue but I would try to check it out with a doctor (one of those that I know as a friend rather than my GP). There are dedicated products that might be a bit safer, like New Skin. You have to do something, even if it's just a waterproof plaster, or you'll be a bleeding mess on the night.[/quote]

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='713421' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:20 AM']+1

I've used this in an emergency, will need to re-apply several times but it should get you through.

Good luck!![/quote]

Thanks guys. I'll take a trip to Boots. What worried me about Sperglue was that there might be a medical reaction given how raw the skin is, so that sounds perfect

[quote name='oldslapper' post='713428' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:29 AM']Might need an adjustment in technique but if it's disco octaves, try playing lower string with thumb and free up i & m fingers........unless you are already doing that, in which case I'll get my coat...[/quote]

Good shout dude, but my thumb is what's muting the E in this track!

Simples:
Superglue a pick to your finger. Two problems soved in one stroke

:)

But seriously...
Spray on plaster, Nurofen before you go on, use other fingers, use a pick or thumb where you can in the set to protect it
Then if that tune is the grande finale just grit your teeth and play it. You can recover after.

[quote name='Mog' post='713434' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:35 AM']superglue and a nail file.[/quote]

That's the normal route!

[quote name='OldGit' post='713435' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:36 AM']Simples:
Superglue a pick to your finger. Two problems soved in one stroke

:)

But seriously...
Spray on plaster, Nurofen before you go on, use other fingers, use a pick or thumb where you can in the set to protect it
Then if that tune is the grande finale just grit your teeth and play it. You can recover after.[/quote]

Now why didn't I think of that (Superglue and pic). The Neurofen idea tends to land me in trouble, in that you might not feel it at the time but can't play bass for a week as a result (OK, Neurofen and 6 pints usually)! Think I'll try second skin, grit my teeth and hold out!

Thanks all

C

Good shout dude, but my thumb is what's muting the E in this track!
[/quote]

Before you go to boots, or B&Q, try resting the wrist end of your thumb on the E string to mute it........, definately geting my coat now.

Hope gig goes well, personally I loves a good disco track to play, reminds me of me yoot...."get down, boogie oogie oogie, get down, boogie oogie oogie..." get the white flares out, nope don't fit no more.

Sounds like you've already answered your own question!

If you can't or won't use a pick it looks like you're kinda stuck with the "grin and bear it" option of using ya fingers with a possible "additional non-natural skin-type layer" upgrade.

I've been there several times before, so I feel your pain brother!! It will be bloody sore for days afterwards and be really careful because there's a pretty high risk of getting an infection in your finger too. Might be worth going to see your GP for a precautionary course of antibiotics? Especially as blood poisoning is far more serious (and painful!) than a blister...

I'd just like to take this time to point something out regarding superglue for those people who're worried about it, namely 2wheeler and aznbass.

Superglue was developed for medicinal use, it was used fairly extensively in Vietnam by the US by soldiers in the field. It's used to this day in hospitals. Granted, it's a slightly different mixture than the stuff sold for home, but only slightly. It still does the same job.

Just clean the wound with a dettol (or a similar brand) Chris then cover it with superglue. It'll be fine.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='oldslapper' post='713444' date='Jan 15 2010, 09:45 AM']Good shout dude, but my thumb is what's muting the E in this track!

Before you go to boots, or B&Q, try resting the wrist end of your thumb on the E string to mute it........, definately geting my coat now.[/quote]

I'm an old dog and that's a new trick!

[quote name='Conan' post='713453' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:03 AM']Sounds like you've already answered your own question!

If you can't or won't use a pick it looks like you're kinda stuck with the "grin and bear it" option of using ya fingers with a possible "additional non-natural skin-type layer" upgrade.

I've been there several times before, so I feel your pain brother!! It will be bloody sore for days afterwards and be really careful because there's a pretty high risk of getting an infection in your finger too. Might be worth going to see your GP for a precautionary course of antibiotics? Especially as blood poisoning is far more serious (and painful!) than a blister...[/quote]

Good advice Conan, cheers
C

[quote name='Buzz' post='713493' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:38 AM']I'd just like to take this time to point something out regarding superglue for those people who're worried about it, namely 2wheeler and aznbass.

Superglue was developed for medicinal use, it was used fairly extensively in Vietnam by the US by soldiers in the field. It's used to this day in hospitals. Granted, it's a slightly different mixture than the stuff sold for home, but only slightly. It still does the same job.

Just clean the wound with a dettol (or a similar brand) Chris then cover it with superglue. It'll be fine.[/quote]

I think that it's most likely what I'll do. The skin seems to have healed a lot in the last couple of hours so it's gonna be the tried and trusted!

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='713533' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:16 AM']slightly ot, what song is it?[/quote]

OK, you gotta trust me, I ain't ever gonna tell! Let's just say 70's, classic, highly memorable riff, terrible instrumentation (I'm playing the keyboard part), appallingly cheesy, would never listen to it myself, but great fun to play, and the backing vocals - me and the singer - are gonna be just hysterical (chicks on the original so we're going falsetto).

Does that help at all?

C

[quote]Good shout dude, but my thumb is what's muting the E in this track![/quote]

Maybe an unmuted E string is the best compromise. If this is the last song of the night, with the birthday girl on stage, do you think anybody in the audience is going to say "Oooh look at the bassist, his E string isn't muted"

[quote name='chrisba' post='713680' date='Jan 15 2010, 12:55 PM']Maybe an unmuted E string is the best compromise. If this is the last song of the night, with the birthday girl on stage, do you think anybody in the audience is going to say "Oooh look at the bassist, his E string isn't muted"[/quote]

Fair point about the audience, but the rest of the band will!

Also worth pointing out that the birthday girl is a far better vocalist than any of us :)

All joking aside, I did try using my thumb but I find it very hard to keep it tight rhythmically, it doesn't do what I'm telling it to!

Cheers

Chris

PS why is no-one playing the "Is it 'Do You Think I'm Sexy' by Rod Stewart" game?

Remember , too , that every time you drop a bollock make sure you adopt a pained expression and make a big show of looking at your fingers during the intervals between songs. Announce, at least 6 times over the mic, how big a sacrifice you're making to not let down your audience despite your agony - and the name of your drink of preference.

I've been getting away with that sh*t for 30 years !!!