Why become a member? ×

Speakon Cable - is it better or just different from a jack?

Cat Burrito

Excuse my ignorance here but I connect my amp head to the cab via 2 jack to jack cables. Both are great quality as I don't like to skimp on cables. My backup head is solid state and has a single speakon cable socket as an alternative to the 2 jacks. Is this just a different option or are speakon regarded as a better signal? I'd be interested to know. Cheers

Speakon has a higher contact area compared to a jack and consequently a lower resistance, however you can't just consider the connectors, there is the cable as well.

There are many cheap Speakon cables available which are sold for PA use with very small cross-section conductors totally unsuitable for bass. 4-sq.mm. is probably best.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='711778' date='Jan 13 2010, 07:15 PM']Not wishing to hijack the thread but what is the correct convention for wiring them when making a Speakon to 1/4" jack lead?[/quote]

For normal cabs:

Jack tip to 1+

Jack sleeve to 1-

[quote name='crez5150' post='711742' date='Jan 13 2010, 06:54 PM']Speakon is more secure as it locks in place and also it is now pretty much a standard connection on pro amps/speakers[/quote]

Once Upon A Time, in a far-off & strange land (Taunton) I had an ancient WEM 2 x 15" that once spat a 1/4" plug out of its socket (mind you, I think that cab was Cursed - it would pick up Norwegian radio stations as well).

Speakons also make it nigh-on impossible to confuse a speaker lead with a patch lead. My only (minor) gripe is that the bodies snap together & the internal connections are secured by screws - I'd prefer it if they were solder connections.

Pete.

The Speakon was designed specifically to handle the kind of current that a high power amplifier can deliver. A jack was originally designed (correct me if I'm wrong) to handle low-level telephone signals. As the others have said, if you have a choice, use the Speakon.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='711844' date='Jan 13 2010, 07:56 PM']Once Upon A Time, in a far-off & strange land (Taunton) I had an ancient WEM 2 x 15" that once spat a 1/4" plug out of its socket (mind you, I think that cab was Cursed - it would pick up Norwegian radio stations as well).

Speakons also make it nigh-on impossible to confuse a speaker lead with a patch lead. My only (minor) gripe is that the bodies snap together & the internal connections are secured by screws - I'd prefer it if they were solder connections.

Pete.[/quote]

you can solder them too. When you buy them you get copper sleeves with the connector to do this with

[quote name='crez5150' post='711862' date='Jan 13 2010, 08:14 PM']you can solder them too. When you buy them you get copper sleeves with the connector to do this with[/quote]

Really?! Never seen these! Got a link?

I'll admit I've only ever bought four, all Neutrik & all from Maplin - basic 2-pole type. Trouble free so far, so I'm not in a-flustered.

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='711898' date='Jan 13 2010, 08:48 PM']Really?! Never seen these! Got a link?

I'll admit I've only ever bought four, all Neutrik & all from Maplin - basic 2-pole type. Trouble free so far, so I'm not in a-flustered.

Pete.[/quote]

there you go - [url="http://www.neutrik.com/fr/en/audio/210_308361/NL4FC_detail.aspx"]http://www.neutrik.com/fr/en/audio/210_308...4FC_detail.aspx[/url]

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='711844' date='Jan 13 2010, 07:56 PM']Speakons also make it nigh-on impossible to confuse a speaker lead with a patch lead. My only (minor) gripe is that the bodies snap together & the internal connections are secured by screws - I'd prefer it if they were solder connections.[/quote]

I sorta like that. I'm far more likely to have a screwdriver at a gig than a soldering iron.

And I've had a few gigs where I wished all the connectors / cables where speakons and fixable with a screwdriver.

[quote name='johnbass57' post='712105' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:47 PM']You should have gone to OBBM :)

You should know better :rolleyes:[/quote]

I won't say a word against him - quality product, great price, sterling customer service & he's a really nice bloke!

However, I choose & prefer to make (and use) my own cables.

Pete.

The copper sleeves (AKA bootlace ferrules) are meant to slide over your cable end before you put it in the hole and screw it up. It prevents the action of the screw, and/or the concentration of the force on one or two strands from breaking strands off, and also ensure sthat all the strands go down the hole. Ideally you'd have a bootlace crimping tool which crimps the ferrule tightly onto the cable end before you put it in the hole, but decent ones of these are quite expensive (£100 +).

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='712152' date='Jan 14 2010, 12:31 AM']The copper sleeves (AKA bootlace ferrules) are meant to slide over your cable end before you put it in the hole and screw it up. It prevents the action of the screw, and/or the concentration of the force on one or two strands from breaking strands off, and also ensure sthat all the strands go down the hole. Ideally you'd have a bootlace crimping tool which crimps the ferrule tightly onto the cable end before you put it in the hole, but decent ones of these are quite expensive (£100 +).[/quote]

+1
thats the way to go.. end of story!