Why become a member? ×

Which bass for £500 - £1000?

discotim

If you are based in Lincs, there was a lovely New Fender 09 American Standard Jazz bass in a music shop in lincoln (not Music Rooms - the one thats past the train station) last time I went in.

Sounds and played lovely, but about £900 new. Worth going and having a play.

Music rooms in lincoln had the fender precision equivalent which is equally tasty.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='708980' date='Jan 11 2010, 04:02 PM']Bear in mind that's a 35" scale, might feel very long to someone coming from guitar.[/quote]

Not really, pretty much every 34" scale Warwick feels like it has a much "longer" neck because of the body shape and how far the top horn extends (or doesn't). Scale length doesn't necessarily put the nut further away from you and the Lakland 5 strings do a remarkable job of hiding the extra inch. Unless you were moving from 34" fretless to 35" fretless, I daresay you'd not even notice it.

Thanks for all the input, kind word and warm welcome folks

The budget is for the bass only. I'll delve into the amp side of things after that.

I've owned a fair few top end guitars in my time, so know what I like, if you know what I mean. That said, I have picked up a few budget jobs and been pleasantly surprised.

Thing is, I don't have oodles of time to spend driving around the country testing out all and sundry. Don't get me wrong: I'd love to, but it's simply not practical.

I'm after spending a decent amount of wedge to minimise the chances of picking up a duffer. But my experience is only of six string guitars, so I appreciate all your help.

Anyone tried an Organic, BTW?

[quote name='discotim' post='709129' date='Jan 11 2010, 06:10 PM']Thanks for all the input, kind word and warm welcome folks

The budget is for the bass only. I'll delve into the amp side of things after that.

I've owned a fair few top end guitars in my time, so know what I like, if you know what I mean. That said, I have picked up a few budget jobs and been pleasantly surprised.

Thing is, I don't have oodles of time to spend driving around the country testing out all and sundry. Don't get me wrong: I'd love to, but it's simply not practical.

I'm after spending a decent amount of wedge to minimise the chances of picking up a duffer. But my experience is only of six string guitars, so I appreciate all your help.

Anyone tried an Organic, BTW?[/quote]

Personally never heard of them.

If you want a bass that is an industry standard, Fender Jazz is the one, I would go with the Geddy.

If you don't like it you'll get a return from it, it's not the 'best' bass as that doesn't exist but it is the one that will give you a varied good quality tone with a manageable neck.

If you're genuinely unsure and don't have time to shop around, Fender US second hand jazz or precision in black or sunburst in decent cosmetic condition without mods for £550-£600 and if you don't like it, you'll sell it on without losing any cash.

Something to bear in mind with basses, there's quite significant differences between models that may or may not suit. A Fender P Bass and J Bass are as different as a Strat and a Les Paul are. Maybe find an hour or two to go to a shop with a few different basses and try as many as you can in that time and come back to us to say what you liked and/or disliked about the different ones and we'll figure out a more tailored suggestion.

Welcome and for fear of echoing already sound advice....

For a Jazz style I'd go Lakland Skyline DJ or JO for more vintage sound. Necks are fantastic and you can find them for good money 'pre loved'. They deserve attention!

Do make some time to visit one store that has a good selection of basses. I know time can be tight but if a long drive will get you someplace to try out 6 or 7 different bass builders and whatever they have to offer its one day well spent and you will come home with a new bass that you a/b'ed through the same rig and you can be happy it wasn't too impulsive a purchase :)

[quote name='krispn' post='709629' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:22 AM']Welcome and for fear of echoing already sound advice....

For a Jazz style I'd go Lakland Skyline DJ or JO for more vintage sound. Necks are fantastic and you can find them for good money 'pre loved'. They deserve attention!

Do make some time to visit one store that has a good selection of basses. I know time can be tight but if a long drive will get you someplace to try out 6 or 7 different bass builders and whatever they have to offer its one day well spent and you will come home with a new bass that you a/b'ed through the same rig and you can be happy it wasn't too impulsive a purchase :)[/quote]

Lakland are fab basses, I have two but some folk hate the bastard things. They're better than any Fender. Even though Fender have been trying for over 60 years, they still haven't managed to get anywhere near the build quality of Lakland. Crazy. You'd just think they'd give up and copy someone like Ibanez instead.

If Fender got as close to Lakland as Warwick have managed to get to Spector then we'd have something to talk about...

...let the games begin...

Edited by Sean

[quote name='discotim' post='709129' date='Jan 11 2010, 06:10 PM']Thanks for all the input, kind word and warm welcome folks

Anyone tried an Organic, BTW?[/quote]
Only problem with living in lincoln that there are only one or two music shops in the city and not much choice(ie fender or fender copy),so I see your predicament,but if your local pop round for a coffee and try any of my basses if you want,might give you a pointer to something you might like,at least that way your not buying blind.Havent got loads, the usual different scales and neck profiles,which as a guitarist,could be key.

[quote name='mikhay77' post='709649' date='Jan 12 2010, 01:31 AM']Only problem with living in lincoln that there are only one or two music shops in the city and not much choice(ie fender or fender copy),so I see your predicament,but if your local pop round for a coffee and try any of my basses if you want,might give you a pointer to something you might like,at least that way your not buying blind.Havent got loads, the usual different scales and neck profiles,which as a guitarist,could be key.[/quote]

Hi Mike

Thanks for your generous offer. I'm, based in Stamford, bottom end of Lincs. We have a music shop in the town but it deals with fairly budget stuff. They've a bass in at the moment for £129 (how do they do it?)!

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. In no hurry to buy anything this week but would like to sort something in the next month. A trip to Nottingham could be on the cards methinks.

BTW: This could be opening a can of worms BUT I'm reluctant to buy anything from China or Korea. My own personal choice, based on my own personal beliefs.

IMO, thats a fantastic budget. Nipping nearer to £1000 will definitely get you some of my personal favourite basses. The classic bodyshapes/sounds are Musicman Stingray, Fender Precision, Fender Jazz. The Stingray new might be more than £1K now, but you can pick up a P/J from the much improved Fender American Series for about £850...more if you go with sunburst.

If you want something with a smaller bodyshape, a little more modern, check Warwick and Spector.

Lakland make some very nice Fender/Stingray type basses, with brilliant build. They are not US made, but they are up there with the high end basses for finish, etc. Dont let it put you off that they are not US made. IMO, the Lakland 5 strings are the easiest/most comfortable 5 string basses to play out there.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='709835' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:42 AM']Lakland make some very nice Fender/Stingray type basses, with brilliant build. They are not US made, but they are up there with the high end basses for finish, etc. Dont let it put you off that they are not US made. IMO, the Lakland 5 strings are the easiest/most comfortable 5 string basses to play out there.[/quote]

Just to clarify, as the OP may not be aware. Lakland "Skyline" basses were Korean made (recently changed to Indonesian made) and then shipped to USA where the electronics are installed, frets dressed etc. and since last year, they get Plekked (sp?) too. So they play like a dream The QC is supremely good and customer service second to none (e-mail them and you'll likely get a mail back, personally, from the boss of the company).

Lakland also then have their US range which are impeccable, but very pricey (second hand you're looking at £1500 at least). The Skylines are, arguably, 90% of the bass for about 40% of the money. I would put my DJ5 up against pretty much any bass and expect it to hold it's own.

I've yet to play the current crop of Fender US basses, which are reportedly extremely good quality, but prior to that, I'd have gone for Korean made Lakland over a US Fender any time.

I'm in Sleaford which is not too far from you..

I only have 3 Basses at the moment (which is unusual) but they are
VERY different (2 fretted and a fretless all 4 string) and I think you should try as many as you can when your budget is so varied.

You are welcome to come try them if you want as I am just down the road. I can even change the action while your there so you can see what you like.

I am awaiting a couple of builds so none set me back anywhere near the £500 either so would give you an idea of what you can get for your money.

Edited by J3ster

This may or may not fit the bill.
A G&L L-2000 (Tribute, so not USA).
No bids (possibly other watchers?) and currently still at £395.
Just under 3 hours to go. And it's in Lincoln!
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330392655943"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=330392655943[/url]

[quote name='discotim' post='709822' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:31 AM']Hi Mike

Thanks for your generous offer. I'm, based in Stamford, bottom end of Lincs. We have a music shop in the town but it deals with fairly budget stuff. They've a bass in at the moment for £129 (how do they do it?)!

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. In no hurry to buy anything this week but would like to sort something in the next month. A trip to Nottingham could be on the cards methinks.[/quote]
Being based in Nottingham myself I'd have to warn that the music shops here are OK, but the stock can be limited, particularly in the budget you're looking at.

I would go a little further up the A1 and visit Electro Music in Doncaster. They have an excellent range of bass gear including Fender, Warwick, Sandberg and Musicman.

Edit - just seen that OTPJ has already recommended them!!

Edited by simon1964

• 5 weeks later...

Well folks,

The plan was to stick strictly to under a grand for my first bass, but when I picked up this beauty I just knew I had to have it.

Yes, I know, it's a bit extravagant for my first four string, but I've been spoiled by a succession of high quality six strings over the last couple of decades and know quality when I see/feel it.

Thanks to Rich for a smooth transaction. She's in good hands, mate - and will be for many years to come.

Right, better get practising!

PS Thanks to all for your guidance

For now

Tim

[attachment=42346:Valenti_no70.jpg]

[quote name='discotim' post='741446' date='Feb 10 2010, 08:52 PM']Well folks,

The plan was to stick strictly to under a grand for my first bass, but when I picked up this beauty I just knew I had to have it.

Yes, I know, it's a bit extravagant for my first four string, but I've been spoiled by a succession of high quality six strings over the last couple of decades and know quality when I see/feel it.

Thanks to Rich for a smooth transaction. She's in good hands, mate - and will be for many years to come.

Right, better get practising!

PS Thanks to all for your guidance

For now

Tim

[attachment=42346:Valenti_no70.jpg][/quote]
Ooooh, Sadowsky...

Zach

[quote name='discotim' post='741446' date='Feb 10 2010, 08:52 PM']PS Thanks to all for your guidance

For now

Tim
[attachment=42346:Valenti_no70.jpg][/quote]
it would be callous of me not to plug my (& your) local shop,,,.

Live Music , Peterborough. - Paul is a diamond and an awesome drummer..

the gimp in the cellar :ph34r: is Nick Smith, who's currently teaching me to play like a gentleman, instead of a philistine.
doctor_of_the_bass to you. I seriously recommend him..