Why become a member? ×

what tune/band that got you into bass ?

phil.i.stein

o.k. here we go..
as we all know, our tastes in music are highly subjective, and sometimes devisive (particularly judging by some recent threads).
people like different stuff at different stages of life, and my personal tastes constantly change/develop/revert etc.. i've liked pop, mod, metal, goth, punk, funk,electro, hip-hop, reggae, d'n'b, industrial, classical etc., etc., in my time, and still like to think i have reasonably eclectic tastes.
the psychology of music is a fascinating & exhaustive subject, and has a lot to do with our formative years in appreciating it.
[u]but[/u], can you remember the tune or the band that got you into the bass guitar (specifically) ?
be honest !
embarrassingly for me it would have been john taylor from duran duran. i was a child of the eighties, so that's my excuse.(i still rate his playing highly, it's just me cringing at the thought of being a 14-year old new romantic that makes me shiver !)
so come on, who or what got you started ?

Edited by phil.i.stein

Easy! "Why can't we be together" by Sade from her Diamond Life album!! Great solid bass groove IMO.

I bought the album and learned every note... played till my fingertips blistered and then bled... :)

EDIT due to complete lies written above...

It was actually Rush's "Freewill" from the Permanent Waves album! Nowt like starting with an easy tune! No idea why I thought it was the Sade one first, but that album (and Sade herself!) certainly left an impression!

Edited by Conan

Umm.... IIRC, [i]In the Cage[/i] by Genesis, [i]Too Many Hands[/i] by The Eagles, the live version of [i]Magnetic Fields I[/i] by Jean-Michel Jarre and [i]I Don't Remember[/i] by Peter Gabriel. They all hit me at about the same time, and I thought they all sounded really cool.

'Dad... can I have a bass?'

I can remember liking the theme tune to 'Space 1999' alot, especially the bass. What actually convinced me to try and play the bass was Bauhaus, because at the time (1986) I was a refugee from heavy metal and I hadn't heard a fretless before. That said, I didn't take up playing the bass until 1988 - the first tunes I learnt being 'Hurry Up Harry' (Sham 69) and 'Warriors of Henghis Khan' (Bad News)... :)

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='707877' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:16 PM']I can remember liking the theme tune to 'Space 1999' alot, especially the bass. What actually convinced me to try and play the bass was Bauhaus, because at the time (1986) I was a refugee from heavy metal and I hadn't heard a fretless before. That said, I didn't take up playing the bass until 1988 - the first tunes I learnt being 'Hurry Up Harry' (Sham 69) and 'Warriors of Henghis Khan' (Bad News)... :rolleyes:[/quote]
bauhaus also one of my inspirations, loving your avatar ! :)

Yep, I remember 'London Calling' registering on my bass radar when I was a kid. As well as 'Peaches' by The Stranglers. And the fuzzy raw sounding bass on Discharge's first album (I heard that at youth club when I was 13 - completely blew me away)...

For me it's "none at all". I was living in Hong Kong at the time (1982), was just getting [i]seriously[/i] into music, & a mate who was a drummer talked me into going to a rehearsal studio (with full backline and instruments) for a "muck about".

Tried drums - nooo wayyyy! Couldn't think in four directions at once.
Tried singing - was asked to stop for the good of humanity.
Shied away from the guitar - bad recollections of "Music Club" back in the 1st/2nd year
Keys? - Nah you need lessons for that.

Bass then... Hmmm... Yeah, this works!

The only instance of a tune making me want to take up an instrument is this:

Those little stopped harmonics & that phrasing are the sole reason I wanted a fretless - Thank you Mr. Palladino!

Pete.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='707901' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:30 PM']I remember seeing The Quireboys when they were The Queer Boys.[/quote]

I was into them from the first couple of indie singles so about a year after the name change. I don't reckon I play their stuff more than twice a year now (although I saw the reformed band a handful of times from 2002-9) but it was a big appeal as to why I got playing. I liked the bass lines in old tv shows too & my parents records had some great players on them but it was that scene that finally kick started it for me.

[quote name='Dandelion' post='707905' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:34 PM']The Sex Pistols. "The great rock and roll swindle"

The low slung precision, lack of technical prowess, but plenty of swagger.

The idea that it only took a rudimentary ability to be able play in a band.[/quote]
ironic, cosidering the clip you posted earlier today !! :)

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='707895' date='Jan 10 2010, 05:27 PM']I could reference the cooler aspects of my parents record collection whilst growing up but it was the late 80s sleaze / glam scene (especially The Quireboys) that finally made me want to play. I always thought the bass players were the cool ones[/quote]

A band I was in supported The Quireboys in the early 90's.... don't remember much apart from a very rock'n'roll attitude, Spike's voice and their drummer - he had a three piece kit and he was amazing! Jimijimmi on the forum was bassist for them until recently... we worked out that he wasn't even born when I played on the same bill as them - how to feel old very, very suddenly!

Song's that got me into bass? 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' - totally amazing bassline. That (of course!) was followed by The Who and The Jam....

Edited by garethox

[quote name='YouMa' post='707945' date='Jan 10 2010, 06:06 PM']Simon gallup from the cure/gary mounfield from the roses. Bernard edwards although i didnt know it at the time,when i was little i was always boogying to my mums diana ross album,i loved my old piano.[/quote]
the cure also formative for me. 'a forest' anybody ?, and that instrumental 'parrot' (i think that's the name)
i'm enjoying this, it's a bit of in-chair pschology, more fun than seeing peoples' photos !!

Edited by phil.i.stein